1926_07_11 For The Glory of God

Jackline Spasova-Bobeva

From The beauty of life

For The Glory of God

Sunday lecture given by Beinsa Douno, July 11, 1926, Mount Musala, Rila Mountain

In summary I will discuss one basic thought, i.e. what is the true manifestation of Life.

How can the words the Glory of God be interpreted? Glory can be explained only through the law of Wisdom or knowledge. Science reveals the Glory of God but when people acquire knowledge, they do not use it for the Glory of God. They use knowledge for their own glory and as a consequence disharmony appears. I examine people as separate units. For each unit there are two possibilities in life: to take the right way or to make a swerve from that way. So, every soul as a separate unit has the possibility to expand and to contract. The esoteric science explains this phenomenon in several ways. The Western occultists explain it with the so-called thermal ether. Ether means that from which things are born and fostered.

The particle "et" is the primary beginning from which things are born. "Ther" is what fosters things on Earth. Ether is not a thick matter. Thermal ether, i.e. the primary energy, which started acting, has a connection with Love. Consequently, Love reveals itself in the primary manifestation of Life. That is when the thermal ether became effective in the matter. Hence Life manifests itself through warmth. When warmth appeared, the flow of life started its descent to the Earth to organize it.

It is said in the Bible: "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth." (Genesis1:1-3) This flow is the Divine Spirit Who comes down to organize things. At your present state of development you have to understand the law of the thermal ether. It is a movement from the outside to the inside. When we say that we have to love other people, we get the idea of the thermal ether coming from the outside. People demand our love. Someone wants to love you and to be loved by you. Why? – This is a kind of energy in Nature that strives to manifest itself. When you do not understand the law, you distort things. When a spring wants to reveal itself what should it do? – It should spring out. When water springs from it, the spring reveals itself. This happens with people too. When an angel loves a person, you will see an emanation coming from this angel. What the angel emits is liquid, while your love is denser. When you love someone, you also emit something. If at this moment an angel, returning from a long journey sees you, he will say, "I will rest at this spring". The angel will fill his cup with some of your water and will be able to determine correctly whether your spring is good or not. When people love each other in the physical world, there are purely physical displays among them. It is not like that in the Invisible world. There, Love is a spring. These are abstract concepts for you. You simply say, these people love each other. Yes, that is right. You should know however, that Life corresponds to the thermal ether and if you cannot receive this stimulus from outside, then Life cannot manifest itself in you. Life, which comes from within, is a display of the thermal ether. When Life manifests itself, your life-giving ether will be in the center of the Earth. The life-giving ether is what creates. To reveal this life first a wave has to come from outside.

When I talk of the Earth you resemble it. That is why this thermal ether has to come to you by all means as an external stimulus to arouse your heart to action. Sometimes you want to love. Thus, when you adopt one external stimulus within yourselves, another impetus should spring out from the center of your heart for life to manifest itself. Consequently, everyone who wants to live will interact with the solid matter. Everyone who wants to love will interact with the solid matter. People who cannot work with the solid matter cannot live. In this respect, from the point of view of Life, instances of suffering are stones through which you will build your future. After that Light, which is equally necessary to Life, comes. It is also a flow that is called light ether.

All these external manifestations of Life have their own form. Warmth creates certain forms in people. Light also creates certain forms. Life has certain forms as well. Every flow creates its own particular forms. The warmth and light of the Sun have a big impact first on the religious state of people as well as on science. You shall strive to preserve this warmth and light within yourselves. You shall never lose the small warmth that you have in the solar plexus! This warmth should always exist in you. It is necessary to you. If you have this warmth you are invulnerable. No one can harm you. However, if you lose this warmth the biggest misfortunes may come upon you: storms, catastrophes. They can destroy you entirely, so that nothing will remain from you. If you keep this warmth in you, Light will eventually come. When Light comes it bestows knowledge on people. Thus the light ether has an impact on the brain. The thermal ether has an impact on the heart. A number of chemical processes take place in the human heart directed from the inside to the outside. They determine in which way a person will manifest oneself. Do not be held back by the different manifestations of human life! The outside world may be held back but not you. You should know that regardless of the way in which people manifest themselves, it is all for the Glory of God. Your mistakes and omissions represent opportunities for the elevation of beings that are more advanced than you. When you make a certain error, these beings that are invisible for you will use this error for the formation of a great virtue. Everything in the world is created in such a way that these conscious beings will use every error of yours to create a new virtue. Now, be aware of saying: if everything is for good, let us make mistakes! No, that is not right. When you have unconsciously made a mistake or an omission, then I say that you should not be sorry for it. This mistake of yours will be used by another being for something good. You should know that as long as you are on Earth you will make mistakes. They are inevitable. However, mistakes should not be made on purpose. The only danger coming from the Brotherhood of darkness is that they have the task to implant a fault-finding spirit in each person: a spirit that makes one think that he or she does do not live well. We know that a person cannot become a saint in one day. To be saints we must know all laws of Nature, even our own future. When someone comes to me saying, "I am a holy person" I answer, "If so, tell me about my future". If this person cannot tell anything about my future, I say, "You are not a saint". A saint can predict people's future. An advanced person has to have a certain inner knowledge – a presentiment for future developments. For the time being all of you have the opportunity to be influenced by the external world. You are reflectors of the external world, but you must know that the light of others is their own light while yours is your own light. However, if you only reflect their light, the moment it stops you will lose it too; but if the Light is in you, you will keep it forever. Only the Light within you is real. If the Light comes to your reflector from outside, you should be even happier as it will intensify your own light. In this case and always you should keep your own light and warmth.

Now we have climbed the Musala[1] peak. Here all of you are in a good state of mind, but down in Sofia you are not like that. There you have bad, hostile feelings towards each other. A sister comes to you, you cannot stand her and you want her to go away. What are the reasons for these feelings? – These are small, ordinary problems, but they do not resolve the issues. You do not love a sister; you want to free yourself from her. Why? Now I do not want to resolve these issues among you, but I say that these situations exist all over the world. You do not love a certain person, but another person does not love you. At the same time you love someone else a lot. Sometimes you cannot stand someone; however, this person comes to you all the time. We also observe the opposite: you love someone, you want this person to come to you, but they avoid you. Why does this happen? This is due to the flows in space (i.e. the thermal ether and the light ether). The law of Love is the following: when a feeling of Love descends upon me it always comes from above, from Heaven and in turn I have to give something by all means. If I do not give something, I cannot manifest Love. When God Who loves us, manifests Himself He gives us something. Similarly, whenever we want to love God we must also give something from ourselves. We have to sacrifice something. We have to give out our fruit as God also wants something from us. We read in the Holy Scriptures that the Jews offered sacrifices to God. What will we offer? What should we give – sweet fruit from our garden? – No, we will offer fruit from the garden of our heart and bring it on a special tablet, made of gold and diamonds. Up there, at God's place an angel will meet us and will receive the fruit from us. You will say all of this is phantasmagoria. Yes, these things are elevated and difficult to comprehend.

Now, let us consider the facts the way they manifest themselves on Earth. When you love someone, how do you behave? A mother will first give socks to her child, she will saw a dress, a hat, a shirt and thus she will continue until her child reaches an old age. She will manifest her love at all times. When Love appears in a son or a daughter, the same law will hold. To realize this law in us, we should always be in contact with the Invisible world through our consciousness. To be in contact with the Invisible world we have to know someone from that world by name. How do you communicate with the Invisible world? – While you are sleeping, you should pray and think. What are your translators like? When I return to the distant past I see that on many occasions you did not use the opportunities which you had to develop yourselves. You made such errors that you raised huge barricades in front of you. You alone erected whole mountains in your life. Now you come across these errors. Currently you must deal with what you once did to others. That is why today you are given favorable conditions to improve your life journey. Your present life journey is an opportunity to liquidate all contradictions that exist. You can liquidate them now. These contradictions are not big.

Now when we look into that matter, each of you has to place oneself in a circle. Each of you has a definite circle in which you can act. Every thought has its planned periphery and it cannot manifest itself outside this periphery. For example, would you like to sing so that all of Bulgaria listens to you? The time will come when all of Bulgaria will listen to you as though you were singing over the radio. There will be a special instrument for everything. If people listen to you via the air, what a roar, what a scream they will hear! How strong does this sound have to be to be heard all over Bulgaria? In the present conditions to transmit the sound to a distant place it has to be produced very strongly, because when it passes via the air it loses its strength. In the future people will develop their inner abilities and when one talks and sings somewhere the sound will be transmitted through the ether to remote destinations and others will perceive it. The sound will go through the air without obstacles. For example, if you sing in Varna[2] your voice will be heard everywhere.

Therefore, you shall study the thermal ether, which has a connection with Love. You shall study Light or the light ether, which has a connection with faith and Wisdom. You shall work with the chemical ether or with the volitional manifestations of the human soul – with water. The ancient alchemists and occultists made the following classifications: earth is the life; water is the chemical processes; light is the air and heat is the fire. People should master these elements: earth, water, air, fire, light and heat. People should be able to make their own fire. If your heart is cold, you should be able to warm it up yourself inwardly. You should not wait for someone to warm it up from outside. You will say, "Let God do it! It is God Who acts from within." God can do everything Himself, but He wants to make us master our own selves alone. God wants us to love. In this way you are learning a great art. If you have fire and can master it you may even descend to hell. A person, who cannot master water; who cannot master air; who cannot master light and who cannot master warmth – such a person is suitable for nothing. These are all opportunities when it comes to humans. If people do not use these opportunities, they will accomplish as much as the fish – it lives in water, but it does not master it. They will accomplish as much as the mole – it lives in earth, but does not master it. What have birds accomplished? They live in the air, but they do not master it and so far they have accomplished nothing. They have no culture. When we come to those who deal with fire we see that they do not master it either. They make big fires: they set a house on fire; they explode a bomb, which produces a big earthquake, and then they leave. Our houses are destroyed and we suffer, while they celebrate. Hence we are required to study these forces. However, there is one danger in revealing secrets to you – you may not be able to use them reasonably.

Thus I say, when you see a person you shall not pay attention to the weaknesses, but to the virtues of this person. You often say, "I thought that you were a friend of mine, but you have such and such weakness." No, to understand someone we have to look at virtues because what is bad in a good person is only a shadow in their life. Only an extremely good person can have shadows in their life. Only such a person can provoke evil to be manifested. Do wolves go to a shepherd who does not have sheep? Wherever you see sheep you will also find wolves and bears. Do lice spread on a dead person? If you see someone with lice and flea, you should know that this person is alive. Where do lice go? – They go to the living. I say, a noble character should be formed in each of you. Your souls should be widely open, so that whoever meets you may feel that you are a breath of freshness and life. Inner fullness and goodness should exist in you without any effort. You should manifest yourselves naturally in a Divine way. You should be good in your very being without wanting to be such. You should be good in such a way that even when sometimes you do not want to be good you will still be; and if you do not want to do good, you will still be unable not to do it. I call such people good.

The most important thing for you now is to retain something from this excursion to Musala. What will you retain from this day? Will you remember anything from it one day when you become 60-70 years old? You may say, "Leave our white hair alone, these matters have nothing to do with it!" Where is your faith then? Not only you must not grow old, but you have to rejuvenate each and every day. Not only you do not have to die, but you have to come back to life every day. You have to live in joy constantly! And when you go to the Other world you will climb Musala again. However, you will see it in a different form there. It is essential that we are making this excursion, because we have certain matters on Earth that we have to resolve. Every ascent to Musala gives us an impulse. Here we are at the summit and no one can stop us. Our elan is so great that we can take over the summit from anywhere. We are at a height, where the Lodge of black darkness is powerless. It can do nothing as we will break through everywhere. However, if we had returned without climbing Musala, we would have retreated from this position as Kuropatkin[3] and as the Germans in the siege at Verdun[4].

An elan has to be present in every person, in all of us! The mistake that all of you make is that you do not have elan. You must have an ideal! If you stop at the smallest difficulty, there is not an elan in you. If you have elan, you will be like birds – you will come by and fly away. If you have an elan, if you have an ideal, no devil can stop you. So the high ideal – striving towards God – brings warmth. You see even here at Mount Musala, at this height we have a temperature of 22 degrees Celsius. What does it show physically? When we add up two plus two, we get the number four – the strongest number at the highest place. The fire of these energies, of these forces acts in one square. Whatever ends up there gets destroyed. So here we have the square of Life. At 22 degrees Celsius Life can destroy all obstacles that may come across one's way. Here Nature demonstrates this principle. Everything is destroyed at Musala. It means that the number 22 corresponds to Musala. There are also 22 letters in the Jewish alphabet. The Jews interpret their entire philosophy in line with the Cabala.

Therefore, all separate units live for the common unit. The common unit is God with Whom we are connected. And all our ideas are corrected in line with this common unit. We constantly think of God, but we do not realize it and there is no need to do so. However, a sacred idea is lodged in us. When we come to a certain place we always correct our mistakes exactly according to this idea. God is the One Who corrects our errors. God says, "Do not do this!" and you happily accept it. There is no person on Earth who is not corrected by God. Sometimes you cry until God comes, looks at you, holds your hand and you are release from all hardships of life.

Now we will not talk about your hardships. They are a blessing for you and you will carry them. You should know this. We will not free you from the hardships. To release you from the hardships means to do the biggest evil to you. We give you knowledge and opportunities to use them for good. Your entire wealth is hidden in these hardships. Someone says, "I wish God could take away that hardship from me." You should not say this, instead say, "God, give me knowledge to overcome all hardships in my life!" You have special hardships in your life that you cannot be share with anyone. A doctor is needed! If you are a bankrupt trader and share your misfortune with another trader, who is your adversary, nothing will remain from you. However, if you share it with a friend who loves you and can understand you, this friend will give you an advice through which you will overcome your difficult situation. It is said in the Bible: "Entrust your load only to the Lord." You can entrust your load only to the One Who loves you and Whom you love. If you connect to a person you love, he or she will take your load. But if this person does not love you and is not loved by you, he or she will not take your load.

Now, the fog that surrounds us shows that this year the world will go through big hardships. The worldly people will be surrounded by very thick fog, which they have to overcome. It will be like this throughout the entire year. However, at the highest place there will be a lot of warmth and many forces. There are forces in the fog. Whatever may come, do not be afraid! You shall be courageous and decisive as you bear a sacred idea. Even if they throw you ten times in fire, you shall not worry, you will not burn. You will be like Daniel who was put in the dyke with the lions. Did the lions eat him up? You will be like the three youths in the fire furnace. Did they burn up? You will be like Christ on the cross. Did He die? Did He stay in the grave? Many saints were buried in earth, but after that they were not found there. Neither earth holds them, nor prison. An Englishman knew about the Universal Brotherhood of Light, he had expertise of the Indian yoga but was not liked by the English government. That is why they closed him in India and put guards in front of his cell. When they went in the morning to the prison they saw that he was not there. They caught him for a second time, put ten people to guard him, but he disappeared again. Finally he wrote them a letter, "You cannot keep me in confinement. Leave me and walk your way! I am not against the laws, but I also have certain rights, for which you have to leave me to go my way! Do not think that you can imprison me." The power of this man lies in his faith. You can have the same experience, but faith is required. They may lock you as much as they want, but God will set you free. That is the Beauty of the world! If anyone of you had had this understanding, then despite being locked up with ten guards, you would have gone out and would have felt free being a master of your state. You have faith as well, but much more is needed for it to grow in strength! You have knowledge, but a lot more has to be acquired! You have virtues, but these virtues have to be developed further. Your wisdom, righteousness and mercy – all these virtues within us must be and can be strengthened. You have all the opportunities to strengthen these virtues.

Thus, I will not talk over a certain philosophy to those of you who are listening to me now, because no philosophy can be discussed at Musala. Instead I will give you some practical points for application. Musala is solely a place for experiments. Now I must leave you here at the peak for at least one hour to lie down. During this time you will learn three times more than if I hold a lecture. When you go down the first thing that you should do is to make the following experiment: concentrate your mind up towards God and say, "God, as we walk Your way; as we want to serve You, let this small warmth come, so that we can feel it! I am ready to carry my suffering, but give me this warmth, let me feel it!" Do not ask God for big things! You always want big things from God and that is why you lose the small ones. You should ask for the small ones! When this small warmth comes, it will bring the new age into your life. This is the first experiment, the first condition. After you sense this small warmth, you will say, "God, give me the small light to feel it!" When you say so a small light will flash in your mind. You will notice this whitish light in the center of your brain. This light will be as small as a pin. Thus you will have two opportunities: warmth and light. Then you will already commence with life. Warmth reacts on life, light – on chemistry and religion. You must become courageous and decisive. So when you wake up in the morning there are two things you should ask God for.

Now, you will apply one, two, three methods and finally when you find yourselves going through hard times you will say: "God, give me the small warmth and the small light!" When you feel them you will say, "God, let it all be for Your Glory!" When suffering and hardships come, you will say again, "God, let it be again for Your Glory!" You will say about everything that happens in your life, "For the Glory of God!" This will be your profit from Musala. If they ask you what you were told at Musala, you shall say, "May all be for the Glory of God!" This is the summary of everything I spoke to you at Musala: Let everything be for the Glory of God!

Currently, we are learning about the smallest warmth, which can exist in us as well as about the smallest light that can manifest itself within us – Warmth and Light!

Now you must know for the entire year: everything happens for the Glory of God! Next year when we come here I will tell you: show me your small warmth and light!

Now, we will make an exercise. You will spread out at a considerable distance, at least a meter away from each other.

You will turn south and will pronounce the formula: Let Virtue be enthroned and all bad thoughts in the world scatter!

You will turn east and will pronounce the formula: Let God's Righteousness be enthroned in the world and all wrongs disappear from our life!

You will turn north and you will say: Let God's Truth be enthroned in our life and all slavery disappear from our soul!

You will turn west and you will pronounce the formula: Let God's Wisdom be enthroned in all manifestations of our life and evil disappear from our way!

You will turn east again and you will pronounce the formula: Let God reign and be glorified in all His Love, Wisdom and Truth! Let God be enthroned in His Love, Wisdom and Truth! Let us accomplish everything for the Glory of God on Earth! Amen.

[1]Musala – the highest peak in the Balkans, 2925 m, located in southwestern Bulgaria, Rila Mountain. The name is derived from Mus Allah, "the mountain of Allah", being so named during the period when Bulgaria was part of the Islamic Ottoman Empire. According to the Master Beinsa Douno the oldest esoteric school on Earth was situated in Rila.

[2]Varna – the third largest city and a major sea port in Bulgaria, economic and cultural center.

[3]Alexei Nikolaevich Kuropatkin (1848-1925) was brought back from effective retirement in 1915 to serve as an entirely unsuccessful field commander in the Russian army. Kuropatkin was chief of staff during the Russo-Turkish War, commander in chief in Caucasia in 1897, and minister of war (1898-1904). In the Russo-Japanese War he commanded the Russian troops in Manchuria; he resigned after the Russian defeat in the Mukden Incident.

[4]Verdun – the longest and one of the bloodiest battles of World War I.

Translated by Martina Iovcheva and Jana Rupchina

• 2 years later...

From The Truth

For the Glory of God

I shall briefly dwell on one fundamental thought, namely - life's essential manifestation. What can be understood by the words "Glory of God"? The Glory can only be explained according to the law of Wisdom or knowledge. Science points to the Glory of God, but people, once having acquired knowledge, do not use it for the Glory of God but for their own glory; as a consequence of this, a disharmony is born. I call people separate entities. For every separate entity there are two possibilities in life: to follow the right path and (or) to make a deviation from this path. This means that for every soul, as a separate entity, there is a possibility to expand and (or) to contract. This [fact] is explained in occult science in several ways. Western occultists explain it with the so called "warmth ether". "Ether" means that from which all things are born and brought up. The syllable "et" means the Primordial Beginning, from which things are born. [The syllable] "ther" means that which raises things up on the earth. The Ether is not a dense substance. The warmth ether, i.e. the Primordial Energy which has commenced its activity, has a connection with closeness [1], with Love. Therefore, in the first expression of life Love is manifested, during which time the warmth ether begins to act in matter. And so, life manifests itself in warmth. With the appearance of warmth, the current of life started to descend towards the earth to organize it.

In Genesis it is said: "In the beginning God created Heaven and Earth". This current is the Divine Spirit Which descends from above to organize things. In the current state of your development, you must understand the law of the warmth ether. It [2] is a movement from the outside inwards. When we say that we must love other people, we imply this warmth ether which comes from outside. People demand our love. Someone has the wish to love you and for you to love him. Why? This is an energy in Nature which wants to manifest itself. Because you do not understand the law, you distort things. When a wellspring wants to express itself what does it do? - it must start gushing out. When water begins to flow out of it, it manifests itself. The same happens with man. When an Angel loves some man, you will see that something flows out from this Angel. That which flows out of Him is liquid, while your love is dense. When you love someone, something flows out of you too, and if at this moment an Angel who is returning from a long journey happens to see you, he will say: "Let me have some rest next to this well-spring". He will scoop up a little bit of your water with his small cup and will correctly evaluate whether your well-spring is good or not. Therefore, when people love each other in the physical world, purely physical manifestations exist between them; but in the Invisible world it is not like that, there Love is a wellspring. For you these things are abstract terms; you just say: these people love each other. Yes, this is so, but you should know that life corresponds to the warmth ether and if you cannot accept this stimulus from the outside, then life cannot manifest itself within you. The life which comes out from within is a manifestation of this warmth ether. When life manifests itself, your life-giving ether will also be in the center of the Earth. The life-giving ether is that which creates, and, for that life to manifest itself, this wave must first come from outside.

Now, when I speak about the earth, you resemble it, and, because of this, the warmth ether must by all means come into you like an impulse from the outside, to urge your heart towards activity. Sometimes you desire to love. Thus, after you have accepted a stimulus from the outside inwards, another impulse from the center of your heart should express itself, so that life can manifest. Therefore, everyone who desires to live will come into discord with the solid matter. Everyone who desires to love will come into discord with the solid matter. A man who is not able to work with solid matter, cannot live. In this respect, from the point of view of life, all sufferings are stones which you will build your future with. Afterwards comes the light, which is also necessary for life; it is also a current which is called "Light Ether".

All these external manifestations of life have their [own] form. Warmth creates certain forms in man. Light also creates certain forms. Life has certain forms, too. Every current creates its own specific form. The warmth and light of the Sun render a great influence firstly on the religious state of man; also on science. You must strive to keep this warmth and light within yourselves. You must never lose that small warmth in your solar plexus! This warmth must always exist in you, you need it. If you have this little warmth, you are invulnerable, no one will be able to do anything against you, but if you lose this little warmth, then the greatest misfortunes can happen to you: storms, calamities. They can completely ruin you and nothing will remain of you. If you [succeed] in keeping this little warmth in yourselves, then the light will come as a result, and, when it comes, it brings knowledge in man. So, the light ether has an influence upon the brain; the warmth ether has an influence upon the heart. A number of chemical processes happen from the inside outwards in the heart of man. How a man will manifest, whether in one way or another, depends on them. Do not stumble upon the different manifestations of human life! The external world may stumble, but you should not stumble. You should know that in whatever direction a man may choose to manifest himself, all this is for the Glory of God! This is because your trespasses, your mistakes represent possibilities for the upliftment of other Beings, [much] more advanced than you. You make a certain mistake, but these Beings, which you do not see, use this mistake of yours, they take it for the construction of a mighty virtue. Everything in the world is created in such a way that these wise Beings make use of each one of your mistakes for the creation of a virtue. Now, you should not say: if this is so, that everything is for [the creation of some] good, then let us make mistakes! No, it is not like that! Only when you have made a mistake unconsciously, when you have transgressed unconsciously, only then I say to you, you should not feel sorry for that. This mistake of yours will be used by some other Being for [the creation of] good. Know that if you are on the earth, you will make mistakes, they are unavoidable, but the mistakes must not be done deliberately. The only danger which comes from the black brotherhood stands in the fact that they have the task to incorporate into man a critical spirit, that he does not lead a good life. We know, man is not able to become a saint in one day. To be saints, we have to know all the laws of Nature, we have to even know our future. Someone comes to me and says: "I am a saint". Alright, then tell me my future! If he is not able to tell me about the future, I say to him: you are not a saint at all. A saint must be able to predict the future to people. A man who is advanced should have this internal knowledge, he should have a premonition of how things will come about. For the time being you all have the chance to be influenced by the external world. You are reflectors of the external world, of its light, but you should know that the light of the other people is their own [light] and your light is yours. But if you reflect only their light, this is not light at all. If you have your own light, only this light is real. However, if you reflect their light, when it ceases, you will lose it too; if the light is within you, you will keep it always. And if another light comes from outside to your reflector, rejoice even more - it will increase your light. In the given case you must always keep your light and your warmth.

Now we have climbed up on Musala [3]. Here you are all in a very good frame of mind, but down there in Sofia, you are not like that. There you have bad, malicious feelings towards each other. A sister comes to visit you [and] you cannot bear her, you want her to go away. What are the reasons for these feelings? These are small, ordinary things, but they do not resolve the issues. You do not love some sister, you wish to get rid of her. Why? I do not want to resolve these things between you now, but I say that these situations also exist in the whole world. You do not love someone, but there is another one who does not love you. And then someone else is very much dear to you. It happens that there is someone you cannot bear, but he constantly comes to you. The opposite happens, too: you love somebody, you want him to come to you, but he avoids you. Why is this so? This is all due to those currents in space. The Law of Love states: when a feeling of love comes into being within me, because love descends from above, from Heaven, I must carry something, I must give something. If I give nothing, I would not be able to manifest love. God Who loves us, gives us something as He manifests Himself. Similarly, when we wish to love God we should also give something from ourselves, we should sacrifice something, should give some of our fruits. God wants something from us too. We read in the Holy Scriptures that the Jews offered sacrifices to God, but what will we bring [to Him]? We do not want sacrifices today. What should we do then? What should we give? Sweet fruits from our garden? No, we must bring fruits from the garden of our hearts, in a very special little tray made of gold, of diamond. Up there, where God is, we will be met by an Angel who will accept these fruits from us. You will say: this is all a fantasy. Yes, these things are lofty, difficult to understand.

Let us now come to the facts as they manifest themselves on earth. When you love someone, what do you do? At first the mother will give her child little socks, will make a little dress for it, a little hat, a little shirt; up to the time of the child's mature years, she will always wish to give the child something, all the time she manifests her love. When love appears in the son or in the daughter, the same law is at work. For this law to be put into effect in us also, we should always be connected in our consciousness with the Invisible world. But to be connected with the Invisible world, we should know someone who is from that world, we should know his name. And you, how do you have intercourse with the Invisible world? In a dream, through prayer, with your thought? Who are your mediators? As I go back to the distant past, I see how many times you have not used the possibilities which you have had for your upliftment. You have made such mistakes that you have put whole barricades in front of yourselves, you alone have put real mountains within your lives. And now you encounter these transgressions in your lives. You must now cope with what you have done to others in the past. That is why you are given favorable conditions today, so that you can better your ways. Your current path is an opportunity for you to liquidate with all the existing contradictions. And you can liquidate them [even] now; these contradictions are not too big.

Now, when considering this subject, each one of you has to be put in a circle. Each one of you has a distinguishable circle in which it is possible to act. Every thought has its own outlined periphery and outside of this periphery it can not manifest itself. For instance, would you be willing for the whole of Bulgaria to listen to you when you sing? A time will come when it will listen to you, this will be like listening to a radio. There will be a special instrument for everything. If you were to be heard through the air, there would be such a roar, such a yell! How strong should the sound be for it to be heard throughout the whole of Bulgaria? To transfer a sound to a far-away place in the current conditions, it must be produced very loudly because, as it passes through the air, it becomes diminished. After [many] years people will develop their inner faculties, so that when something is spoken or is sang somewhere, the sound will be transmitted through the ether over a great distance. and it will be perceived. The sound will pass through the air without any obstacles. For example, if you sing in Varna [in Eastern Bulgaria --note tr.], your voice will be heard everywhere.

So, you will have to occupy yourselves with the study of the warmth ether which has a connection with Love. You will have to occupy yourselves with the study of light, or the light ether which has a connection with Faith and Wisdom. You will have to occupy yourselves with [the study of] the chemical ether or with the volitional expressions of the human soul, with water. The alchemists or occultists of old times made the following divisions: earth - this is the life, water - these are the chemical processes, light - this is the air, and warmth - this is the fire. Man must rule over these elements: earth, water, air, fire, light and warmth. Man must produce fire himself. If your heart is cold you should be able to internally warm it and not wait for it to be warmed up from the outside. You will say: let the Lord do this! Truly, the Lord is the one who acts internally, He is able to do everything Himself alone, but He wishes to impel us to act upon ourselves by ourselves. He wants us to love. In this way you study a great art. If you have fire [and] if you can control it, you will even be able to descend into hell. A man who is not able to rule over the water, who is not able to rule over the air, a man who is not able to rule over the light and a man who is not able to rule over the warmth, such a man is good for nothing. With respect to man alone, these are just given possibilities. If he does not use these possibilities, he will do as much as the fish does; it lives in the water but does not rule over the water. Such man would do as much as the mole does; it lives in the earth but does not rule over the earth. And what have the birds accomplished? They live in the air, but do not rule over the air. They have done nothing up to now, they do not posses any [sort of] culture. And when we arrive at those who concern themselves with the fire, we can see that they also do not rule over the fire. They make big fires: set alight some house, blow up a bomb which produces a great earthquake, and afterwards they retreat. Our houses get destroyed, we suffer, but they make fun and revelry out of this. In this respect it is expected of you that you investigate these powers, although there is a danger that if some secrets are disclosed to you, you will not be able to use them sensibly.

So I say to you: when you see a man, you should not ponder over his weaknesses but rather upon his virtues. You say: I was thinking of you as being my friend but you have such-and-such a weakness. No! To understand a man we should ponder over his virtues, because the bad things in a good person are only a shadow in his life. Only a highly good man can have shadows in his life; [and] only such a man can manifest evil. Do wolves go to a shepherd who does not posses sheep? Where there are sheep, there are wolves and bears [also]. Do lice infest a dead man? So, if a man is infested by lice and fleas, you should know that he is alive. Where do the lice go? - [they go] to the living [people]. I say: in all of you there must be created such a noble character, your souls must be [so] widely opened, that whoever meets you would feel how life breathes from you and how freshness comes out of you; an inner fullness and goodness must exist in you without any effort; you should manifest yourselves naturally, in a Divine way. You must be good in essence, [even] without wishing to be good; even when you would sometimes wish to not be good, to still be good, regardless. And when you do not want to do good, again, to be unable to help yourself from doing it. These people I call good [people].

Now, the important thing for you is to retain something from this excursion to Musala. What will remain in you from this day? Will you remember something from it when one day you become 60-70 years old! You may say: Leave us alone, [all] this is not connected with our white hair! Well, what is left from your faith then? Not only should you not grow old, but rather, you should get younger and younger every day. Not only should not you die, but rather, you should be enlivened every day. You must constantly live in joy! And when you pass away to the other world, there you will go to Musala again, but there you will see Musala in a different form. The important thing is that we are doing this excursion because we have certain tasks on earth which we must solve. Every climb of Musala gives us an impulse. We are here on the highest position and there is no one who can stop us. Our determination forward is so great, that we are capable of taking this position from everywhere. We are at such a height at which the black lodge is powerless, it can do nothing to us, we shall break through a path for ourselves everywhere. But if we were to return without climbing up to Musala, than we would have retreated from this position like Kuropatkin [4], and also like the Germans at the siege of Verdun [5].

In all of us, in every man, there must be determination! The [main] mistake in all of you is that you do not have determination. You must have an ideal! If you stop in the face of the smallest difficulty, there is no determination in you. If you have determination, you will be like the birds, you will pass by and go away. If you have determination, if you have an ideal, there is no devil who can stop you.

And so, the Lofty Ideal - the striving towards God, brings warmth. Behold, you can see even here on Musala, at this height, we have a temperature of 22 degrees (71.6 F). What does this physical temperature of 22 degrees show? When we add 2 + 2 together we obtain the number 4, which is the strongest number, on the highest place. The fire of these energies, of these powers, acts in a square; whatever falls in there gets destroyed. So, here we have the Square of life. At a temperature of 22 degrees life is capable of destroying all hindrances which could be met on the way. Here Nature also shows the same; everything is destroyed [barren] on Musala. Thus this number corresponds to Musala. In the Hebrew language there are 22 letters. The Jews interpret all their philosophy according to Cabala (Kabbalah).

And so, all separate entities live for the whole Entity. The whole Entity, this is God with Whom we are connected. And all our ideas are corrected by this Whole Entity. We always think of God, although we are not conscious of this; and there is no need to become aware of this. But there is one sacred Idea within us; when we come to a certain place, we always correct our mistakes precisely according to this Idea. That which corrects our mistakes, this is God. He says: "Do not do this thing!" And you joyfully accept this [correction]. Afterwards He says to you: "Accept this!" And you accept it. There is not a single man in the world who the Lord does not correct. Sometimes you cry, until the Lord comes, casts a glance at you, takes you by the hand and you become free from all the difficulties in life.

Now, we are not going to talk about your difficulties; they are a blessing for you; you will carry them, you should know that. We shall not set you free from your difficulties. To set you free from your difficulties, that would mean to do the worst evil to you. We give you knowledge [and] opportunities to use these difficulties for [doing] good. All your treasure is hidden exactly in these difficulties. Somebody says: "I wish the Lord would take this difficulty off me". Do not say this, but rather say: "Lord, give me knowledge so that I can cope with all difficulties in my life!" You have very special difficulties in your life which you can share with no one. A doctor is needed! If you share your difficulty with someone who does not understand, than he will make your situation worse. If you are a bankrupt tradesman and you speak about your situation to some other tradesman who is your enemy, nothing will be left of you; but if you reveal this to a friend who loves you, who is able to put himself in your situation, he will give you advice through which you will become free of your trouble. The Scripture also says: "Cast your burden only upon the Lord!" You can cast your burden only upon one who loves you and upon one who you love. If you love him, when you connect with him he will take your burden from you. Then again, if he does not love you and if you do not love him as well, he will not accept your burden.

Now, the fog around us shows that this year the world will pass through great difficulties. The secular people will be enveloped in a very dense fog which they will have to overcome. It will be like this throughout the whole year, but on the highest place there will be warmth, lots of forces will be there. There are forces in the fogs. Whatever comes, fear not! You will be courageous and resolute. You carry [within yourselves] a sacred Idea. Even if you are put into a fire 10 times, do not be afraid, you shall not burn up. You shall be like Daniel, who was cast into a den of lions. Did the lions eat him? You shall be like the three lads in the fiery furnace. Did they burn up? You shall be like Christ on the cross. Did He die? Did He stay in the grave? How many saints were buried in the ground and afterwards their bodies were not found there. The earth cannot keep them, a prison cannot keep them [either]. An Englishman was acquainted with the Universal White Brotherhood, with the knowledge of the Hindu Yogas, but he was not well accepted by the English Government, and because of this, he was locked up in India with a guard to watch over him. When they went to the prison the next morning, they saw that he is not there. A second time they caught him, locked him up again and put 10 guards to watch over him, but again, he disappeared. Eventually, he wrote a letter to them: "You cannot imprison me. Leave me alone and go your own way! I am not against the laws, but I also have certain rights according to which you should let me be so that I can go on my way! Do not think that you can lock me up!". The strength of that man is in this faith. You can pass through the same experience, but faith is required. They can lock you up as many times as they please, but the Lord will always rescue you from prison. In this stands the beauty in the world! If some one of you were to have this experience [then even if you were] to be locked up, with 10 guards watching over you, again, you will get out and will feel free, a master of the situation. You, too, have faith, but how long it will take until this faith is strengthened! You have knowledge, but how much more has to be acquired! You possess virtues, but these virtues have to be developed much further. Your Wisdom, your Justice, your Mercy, all these virtues must be strengthened in you, and they can be strengthened. You all have the opportunity to strengthen these virtues.

And thus, to those of you who listen to me now, I shall not speak of [some kind of theoretical] philosophy, because no kind of [theoretical] philosophy can be considered on Musala - but I shall give you several practical points (suggestions) for application. Musala is only a place for experiments. Now, I should leave you here on the summit to lay down and have a rest for at least an hour, through which time you will learn three times as much as from me giving you a lecture! When you descend, the first thing which lies ahead of you is to do the following experiment: concentrate your mind upwards to God and say: "Lord, because we walk on this path and wish to serve You, let this small warmth come into us, let us feel it! I am prepared to carry my sufferings, but grant me this small warmth, allow me to feel it!" Do not ask the Lord for grand things! You always want grand things from the Lord, that is why you lose the small ones as well, but you should ask for the small thing. When this little warmth comes, it will introduce the New Impulse into your lives. This is a law: if you ask for something from God, ask for this little warmth! This is the first experiment, the first condition. When you feel the little warmth, you will say: "Lord, grant me the little light, allow me to feel it." And when you say so, a small light will flash in your mind. You will notice this small whitish light in the center of your brain. This light will be [very] little, like a pin. Thus you will have two possibilities: the warmth and the light. Then you will begin with life. The warmth acts upon life, while the light - upon chemistry, upon religion. You will become fearless and decisive. So, when you get up in the morning, you should ask the Lord for two things.

Now, as you apply one method, then another, then a third, in the end when you find yourselves in some difficulty, you should say: "Lord, grant me the little warmth, grant me the small light!" When you feel it, you should say: "Lord, may everything be for Your Glory!" And when difficulties and sufferings come, you should say once again: "Lord, may it also be for Your Glory!" For everything which happens in your lives, you must say: "For the Glory of God!" This will be your benefit from Musala. And if you are asked, what have you been told on Musala, say: "May everything be for the Glory of God!" This is the [essential] summary of everything I spoke to you on Musala. "May everything be for the Glory of God!"

We are now learning about the smallest warmth which exists within us and about the smallest light which can manifest itself in us - Warmth and Light!

And now, you should know this for the whole year: everything happens for the Glory of God! Next year, when we come here I will say to you: show me your little warmth and your little light!

We will do an exercise now. You will spread out at a distance, with at least one meter between each of you. You will turn towards the South and pronounce the formula: "May Virtue reign and may all bad thoughts in the world disperse!". You will turn towards the East and pronounce the formula: "May Divine Justice reign in the world and may every injustice disappear from our life!" You will turn towards the North and pronounce the formula: "May Divine Truth reign in our life and may every bondage disappear from our soul!" You will turn towards the West and pronounce the formula: "May Divine Wisdom reign in all manifestations of our life and may evil disappear from our path!" You will turn again towards the East and pronounce the formula: "May the Lord reign and may the Lord be glorified in all His Love, Wisdom and Truth!". "May the Lord be enthroned in His Love, in His Wisdom, in His Truth!". "And let us accomplish everything for the Glory of God on earth!" - Amen!

Lecture 11 July 1926, Sunday 8.30 am, Peak Musala (9596 ft), Rila Mountains

--==[][][]==--

Notes:

[1] In Bulgarian, there are two words for Love, 'obich' which implies to have affection, ardor etc., and 'liubov', which is equivalent to love. This distinction is sometimes of importance in the Master's lectures.

[2] 'It' may refer here to either the law, or the ether.

[3] Musala is the highest peak in the Rila Mountains (2925 m / 9596 ft), in Bulgaria and the Balkan peninsula.

[4] Kuropatkin A.N. (1848-1925) was a Russian Imperial Minister of War (1898-1904), supreme commander of the Russian forces in the East Asia (1904-1905) and commander of the First Manchurian Army (1905-06). Military historians consider his indecisiveness and organizational deficiencies in directing large-scale military operations as a major element in the Russian defeat during the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05).

[5] Verdun was the site of one of the major battles during the First World War on the Western Front. It exemplifies the 'war of attrition' strategy - it was the longest battle (10 months) and one of the most devastating in the First World War and in human history.