1922_03_08 STRENGTH OF WILL

Ani

Беседата на български

Note 5

STRENGTH OF WILL

Year 1, Lecture 3 of the Youth Occult Class (Special Class)

Given by the Master Beinsa Douno

March 8, 1922, Wednesday

19.00h, Sofia

Secret Prayer

A summary of the theme “The Best Method for Work” was presented.

Next time please write on the topic “The Place of Will in Life”. Think well on this topic and write no more than a page. This topic is important for you, for Will has not found its place in Life yet. Most contemporary people are weak-willed. Why? Because the expression of Will begins with Intelligent life which excludes any destruction.

I will give you now several rules on how to distinguish conscious from unconscious volitional acts. And when you come to conscious will, then you will consider it as the highest manifestation in human life. Therefore, when you write your essays, be free to express your point of view according to your understanding. Write without fear, without doubt or hesitation. Do not be afraid if what you write is right or wrong. If you are afraid, it shows that you do not have the will to manifest yourself. Present your views, manifest your will, notwithstanding that you may write something foolish. How will you know that it is foolish? Many of you think that if they do not quote a famous author but give their own opinion instead, it will be foolish. In my view, using someone else’s thoughts without understanding and experiencing them is more foolish than presenting one’s own thoughts, which have been experienced and tested by the speaker. There is no rule in the world which defines what is wise and what is foolish. Something which is considered wise today may become foolish tomorrow. For example, people in one of the past cultures greeted one another with their tongues, which is characteristic of animals today. If nowadays two people greeted each other in this way, it would be an atavism. The contemporary way of greeting each other is by shaking hands. Some day it may be replaced by another one.

I will give you several rules which should be observed by all disciples. So, being at the threshold of the Spiritual school, no matter if he is a full time student or a listener, the disciple should know the following:

1. If someone tries to correct the Absolute or the Divine even one single time, he will be expelled from class.

2. If someone is absent from class without an excuse, without an important and urgent reason, he will be expelled from class.

Each disciple should know deep in one’s heart and before one’s conscience if the reason for absence is important or not. The evaluation of the reasons is delegated entirely to the conscience of the disciple. A disciple should never deceive himself. If someone deceives himself, this means that he is out of the class.

3. If someone does not complete the tasks given in the School, he will be expelled from class.

4. If two disciples offend each other, both of them will be expelled from class.

It is absolutely forbidden for disciples to be angry and to quarrel with each other.

5. What happens and what is spoken about in class should be kept a secret. If someone tries to spread this out of the School, he will be expelled from class. There are things that should remain here only.

Now I would like to point out to you the following phenomenon in Nature: all young tree shoots and all sprouting plants strive to grow in height. And once they reach the greatest possible height, they start growing in width. Artists use the same method of work. First they draw the general lines of the object on the canvas, i.e. its height, the idea hidden in it, and after that they put the shadows showing the width and the thickness of the object. This indicates that one should catch the general lines first, i.e. the important ideas. For instance, if you draw a person, which features will you first pay attention to? First you will pay attention to the form of the body, the eyes, the ears, the eyebrows, the nose, the forehead and the mouth. Then you will draw the shadows. If there are more shadows on one’s face, it shows that this person is in a difficult situation. As a whole, if the background of the human image is dark, it indicates the unfavorable conditions in which one lives and shadows under the eyes show many sleepless nights in one’s life.

Sleeping is very important in life. That is why a disciple is supposed to sleep in the right way. He has to determine his time of going to bed. Moreover, it is necessary for him to fall asleep immediately or within five to ten minutes of going to bed. In this respect you should do experiments and exercise your will to see whether you will go to bed exactly at the right time and fall asleep within ten minutes. If you can fall asleep on time, your will is strong. If you cannot fall asleep within half an hour or more, your will is weak. This exercise will be a test of your will's power . Otherwise, you will deceive yourself that you are strong-willed. The power of will is tested only through exercises. When you go to bed in the evening, in order to strengthen your will say to yourself that you want to sleep on your right side for the whole night. If you find yourself on your right side in the morning, your will is strong; if you find yourself turned to the left, your will is weak. This, however, should not discourage you. Make efforts in this direction until you get positive results.

Sleeping has its deep purpose from a spiritual point of view. When you sleep, you go to school into the Astral world and you apply the next day what you have learned at night. If you don't sleep properly, you cannot study well in the Astral world; but if you study well in the Astral world, you will be able to study well on Earth too. Therefore, sleeping is of great importance for you. When you sleep well, you wake up refreshed, with a clear mind renewed energy, so whatever work you take up during the day will be successful. But if you have not slept well, you have not worked well in the Astral world, so you will wake up indisposed and tired and your work throughout the day will be the same as it was in the Astral world. That is why, when you go to bed in the evening, say to yourself, ‘Now I am going to attend the School of the Astral world and I want to complete well the work that will be given to me there.’

I am asking you, what do you think about sleeping? You consider sleeping to be a repose only, that is why you cannot find those who want to teach you. In this respect you are like children who escape from school and go to play in the forest. If they have escaped from school, whom will the teacher instruct? In this case, those who go to bed with the idea that they will just take a rest at night, escape from school and go to the forest. And when they wake up in the morning, they say, ‘I didn't learn anything.’ That is why, when you go to bed, say to yourself, “I will go to the School of the Astral world to learn something new and to apply it on Earth the next day.” There are trips in the Astral world just like the ones on Earth. Those who study well are allowed to go to a mountain peak or to a beautiful spring, from where they will return refreshed and enriched with lovely impressions.

Therefore, one of the important rules for the disciple is to learn to sleep in the right way. When you go to bed, you should fall asleep within five to ten minutes. This exercise is necessary for the strengthening of your will. If you cannot fall asleep in such a short period of time, you may extend it with a few minutes. You should fall asleep within half an hour or an hour at most. If you cannot succeed in one hour, you should look for the reason of your sleeplessness and when you find it, you should try to remove it.

Now, I will give you a natural exercise – meditation on the rainbow. You have to meditate on the rainbow until you create a beautiful mental image of it. It may take you one, two or three years until you create a beautiful picture of the rainbow in your minds, but you have to work in this direction. Some of you can succeed in a shorter time – it all depends on your ability to concentrate. So, you have to meditate daily on the rainbow until you receive a living clear picture in your minds. You will visualize the rainbow as you have observed it in Nature in all its colours. This exercise will stimulate the development of your imagination. Spiritual disciples need imagination, as imagination is the mother of ideas. You may visualize the following pictures in your meditations on the rainbow: the Sun is in the West, there is a dark black cloud in the East and after a spring drizzle the rainbow has appeared from the North to the South. Or another one: the sky is clear in the East and the rainbow appears in the West. Whatever picture you have of the rainbow in your minds, one day the rainbow should rise in your souls in the same way that it rises in Nature. If you meditate between five and ten minutes daily, you will see the image of the rainbow appearing in your minds in a natural, unforced way. Close your eyes during the meditation in order to receive a clear and distinct mental vision of the rainbow. At first your vision will be vague, but with time it will clear up and become so living and real as it is in Nature. The best time for meditation is in the morning or whenever you are in high spirits. Do not think about the outcome of the exercise. When you disregard the outcome, you will always win and never lose anything. You may meditate not only in the morning, but also before noon – a few hours before lunch, as well as in the evening before you go to bed. You are free to choose the most convenient time for you to meditate. It is also good if you draw a rainbow and have it always in sight. It is even better to watch the rainbow after each rainfall, to remember the circumstances and the conditions of its appearance. The rainbow will introduce a new element into your minds.

I will give you a rule how to overcome your anger and irritation. When you are angry, sing ten times in a row: do, mi, sol, do (upper do). Use this rule and see how music will tune you. Not only students but teachers also should use music as a method of tuning. When a teacher of music gets angry, he usually forgets to use this method and hits the students with his bow instead. No, when the teacher is cross with something, he should take the bow and play do, mi, sol, do on the violin. He would do a much better job this way rather than if he hit the students with the bow. When we have time I will disclose to you the meaning of these four tones.

So, the main thing in your life as disciples should be the desire to harmonize yourselves. This should be achieved in a natural way, not by force. It does not mean that all should come to one and the same level of development. If so, it would lead to monotony and in my opinion monotony is a bad thing and diversity is good. Each one of you has to aspire to diversity. Diversity is a quality of the Spirit. If the Spirit is present, there is always diversity there. Diversity means abundance, wealth, while monotony is poverty and deficit. From a spiritual point of view, troubles indicate the presence of monotony in life. In order to liberate human beings from such monotony, the Invisible world has admitted evil into the world. Evil creates diversity in Life. Consequently, all suffering, difficulties and troubles indicate that one’s life is monotonous. However all this is necessary in order to introduce the element of diversity in humans. Diversity represents a value which is necessary for the development of the human spirit. In that sense suffering and difficulties are transitory states or transitory scales in human life.

One of the rules was: “One who tries to correct the Absolute Divine Source, cannot be a disciple.” This means: Do not correct Nature in yourself! Those who have ever tried to correct their Nature have always met with a fatal end. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you do not trust me, do the following experiment to convince yourselves in the truthfulness of my words: if you start feeding some herbivorous animals meat, soon you will see the consequences of this change, for you would have tried to correct the nature of these animals. In my view, meat eating is bad, while nourishment with fruit, not just vegetarianism, is good. That is why when the Astral world wants to show you that your actions are not good, it will send you a dream that you are eating meat. If you are eating meat in your dream, it is a sign that you are following an unnatural path.

When I speak about human beings, I have in mind the spiritual rational source in them. Two beings live simultaneously in the human body. Their lives move in different directions; as a result there is always conflict between them. This conflict is due to the fact that some cells of the human organism are of a carnivorous origin, while others are of a herbivorous origin. The cells that have been carnivorous for thousands of years up to now will oppose you if you want to become a vegetarian. If the appropriate food is not supplied to them, they start eating one another. The cells of the white corpuscles, for example, go into war against one another, destroying themselves. So, war exists in the human organism itself. Because of that one people are vegetarian in theory only. But inside one’s body the cells eat one another. So, if you wish to feed on fruit some day, you need to place the idea of fruit nourishment in your mind. This idea will be working in your mind for years and one day you will unexpectedly see that you are ready to feed on fruit which represent the purest form of food of today. Reaching the state of vegetarianism in the full sense of this word and in all worlds – physical, emotional and mental – is going to take centuries.

Write separately the rules that I gave you before – they will serve you as a guidance in Life. Further on I will speak in detail about each one of these rules.

When I come to class, I will greet you with the motto “Without fear!” You will answer, “Without darkness!”

I want you to determine for yourselves whether you are ready to attend this class regularly, so that you do not hesitate later on. Fifty disciples in the class are enough for the present moment. After you have made the decision, you will receive the inner meaning of the formula “Fir-fűr-fen tao bi aumen.” This formula is dangerous for those who are not determined. The first words “Fir-fűr-fen” purify, while the word “tao” builds up. The remaining words of the formula have the same meaning. First you have to pass through purification, and then you will be able to build up. The last words are strong, because power is also required for building up.

I say, those of you who are going to attend the class should not be afraid of lacking time for School or spending too much time in it. No, this class does not require much time – only the time that you don't know how to spend. It has been written in the Law of Moses, ‘Work six days for you, but the seventh day consecrate to God!’

As disciples of the Spiritual Occult school, you need to observe the rule for sleeping. Sleeping will solve many issues in your life. Seven hours of sleep are necessary for you at present. Five hours could also satisfy you, but if you sleep without waking up and turning from side to side. The best time to go to bed is 10.00 p.m., but it cannot be taken as a rule. If someone is busy with important work, he may go to bed at 11.00 or 12.00p.m., but he should fall sleep within five to ten minutes. If you work after 10.00 o’clock, you will lose sleep. You will be able to fall asleep only after 12.00. And then you have to go to bed immediately, so that you do not manage to fully wake up. The earlier you go to bed, the better. Why? Those who go to bed earlier, receive the whole amount of prana, i.e. vital energy which has been accumulated in the atmosphere. Those who go to bed later have difficulty falling asleep, as there is not enough prana which is required by their organisms. They should wait for some time until those who are sleeping wake up and after that sleep will come to them as well. That is why rich people usually go to sleep around 4.00 o’clock in the morning, when poor people go to work. At about 4.00 a.m. new amounts of prana are created in the atmosphere which are used by rich people for their sleep. Therefore, if you can get into the habit of going to bed earlier, you can supply your organism with the necessary quantity of prana. Do not go to bed later than 12.00 p.m. If you feel tired, go to bed earlier, even at 8 p.m., in order to receive more energy that is needed by your organism. If you have surplus energy, you may go to bed later. In conclusion, the advisable time for going to bed is 8.00, 10.00 or 12.00 p.m.

We began our lecture with a secret prayer. What is its purpose? Its purpose lies in disconnecting your telephone or link to the world. When praying in secret to yourself, you should take a free position, being fully isolated from the world and deaf to any noises or sounds outside and inside of you. When you pray secretly, lock all the keys, stop all communication with the world - nothing should disturb you. And in this position stay alone in thought. Meditation and secret praying are not one and the same thing. They differ from one another. However I will let you find the difference by yourselves. A secret prayer is the ascending of one’s mind to God. In other words, directing one’s eyes to the Sun or to the Source of Life. The most beautiful prayer is when you think of God as a Source of Life.

Now you have nothing left to do but to contemplate on the issues covered in this lecture and to make efforts to strengthen your will, so that you may become masters of yourselves.

Secret Prayer

Edited by Viktoriya

• 1 year later...