1924_02_24 The Moral Type

Ani

Note 2p

The Moral Type

19th lecture given by the Master to the Youth Occult Class

24th February, 1924, Sofia

- Only the light way to Wisdom leads to Truth.

- It can give us constant Mirth and Joy.

Reflection

A summary on the topic: “The correlation between moral senses and mental skills”.

There is a drawing of a head presenting the moral type on the blackboard.

1924-02-24-19_fig1.png

Fig. 1

Do you all agree with the image in the drawing? What distinguishes the moral type? Which are the external features by which you can judge that a person is moral or not? All the same, you should have a criterion, no matter how small it is. You should all apply the same methods Nature uses.

1924-02-24-19_fig1a.png

Fig. 2

The slot (I) is a window, which corresponds to the size of the room. If we make it twice as long (II), how much more light will enter the room? (Twice as much.) If we make it three times as long as it is now? (Three times as much.) And so on and so forth. What about widening it, without changing the height (IV)? And then if we expand it both in width and in height (V)? How much light will enter? (-A square more.) What will happen if we make it three times as high and wide (VI)? – (It will be raised to the third power.) The amount of light also depends on whether it is direct or reflected. Let us assume that you channel the light through the window by reflection, using a mirror; will the effect be the same as if the light were direct? – No, it will not. Similarly, sometimes your ideas and thoughts are not healthy. Do you know why? Because sometimes you accept your ideas through reflection. It shows that you stay in the North – this light is not beneficial, as it is lethal. Naturally, it is more useful than if you lived in some basement, and yet this northern light will affect you. So you can turn your mind to the south, to the north, to the east, or to the west. There is a fifth position of the mind – upwards. You should be always aware of the position your mind has taken. You should not only be aware of the position of your mind, but also of the position of your heart – what direction your feelings are taking. Feelings are forces in Nature, too. In the first place, you should examine the Mental and the Sensuous World as a movement of the living forces in Nature. You should not go into details. Study the law of these forces and the conditions necessary for the development of feelings. For instance, I could make two of you feel jealous of each other. Jealousy can be incited even between the noblest people. Jealousy can exist between siblings. The mother can raise a juicy row if she is not careful enough and makes better clothes for the brother and worse clothes for the sister. If you do not understand the laws of the world, you will constantly be jealous. Of course, the mother would never instigate the quarrel on purpose. However, there are cases when the mother is more affectionate towards the boy than towards the girl, which leads to jealousy. It is true that boys are more dearly loved than girls are. The birth of a boy is considered to be a blessing. There are cases when the girl is most welcome. In a family with four or five brothers even the brothers are excited about a girl and say, “We wish we had a baby sister!” A father who has two sons does not worry about their future, while a father of two daughters is much concerned about settling them.

Now, you should personalise your feelings. You will study them as forces and movements in Nature. It is because when such a force enters your body, it will affect it in a way. Therefore, the strength and the direction of your mind will be determined by the intensity of your feelings. If you are emotionally excited, your mind will be unable to think calmly. By all means, your feelings have to be intense, yet calm, i.e. they should be in harmony. I do not mean to take pleasure in this – this is the external aspect of your heart. I mean that you should urge your heart to do some work. There are feelings that prevent man from working by making him lazy. Such feelings can be engendered in rich people. The daughter or the son will say, “Our father is rich enough, so we could easily do without studying and learning.” Their knowledge is superficial.

Do you know whether your window looks to the north, to the south, to the east, or to the west? Rays of light can affect you differently. They differ in their direction – whether they come from the north, the south, the east, or the west. They also differ in the currents they bear: there is an electric and a magnetic current going from east to west: there is another current both electric and magnetic, which comes from north to south and a reverse one corresponding to it. These two currents cross at a point. If you find yourselves in the east-to-west current and receive its Light, you will acquire a lot more dryness. Astrologers say that you are under the influence of Saturn. Then you will love light but you will be too demanding and real faultfinders. If you happen to accept the Light coming from the north, you will love Truth, yet you will be too cold and cool-blooded, so you will remain indifferent to people who suffer. If you receive the southern light, you will bear some warmth and expansion, but you will face another danger – you will become meek and flexible. The Turkish have a saying for such a person, “Such a person can get along with everybody.” Wherever he goes, he has a good time – he is ready to do anything and please anybody: he eats meat, drinks wine and won’t say no to a bowl of lentils – he is too pushy and interfering.

Such a person could easily find himself in the position of Nesreddin Hodja, who built a furnace but someone came and asked him, “Why does it face east?” “Why? Where else?” “It should face west to burn better.” Nesreddin Hodja listened to the advice and turned the furnace to face west. Shortly another man came and told him, “Whoever told you to turn the furnace to the west, knows nothing of furnaces. Everybody knows that a furnace that faces north burns better.” So Nesreddin Hodja turned the furnace northward. A third man came, however, who told him to change its position to south, and so he did. In the end, he decided to please everybody, so he found a four-wheeled cart and put the furnace on top of it. Whoever came now, he asked him, ‘Where do you want me to turn the furnace?” “To the north.” – And so he did. Someone else came, so he asked, ‘Where do you want me to turn the furnace?” “To the west.” – So he turned the cart to the west. Whatever position people wanted he listened to them, trying to please everybody. Very often one’s character is pretty much like Nesreddin Hodja’s furnace – on wheels. Such a person you call clever. When the moral character finds such an expression, one gets demagnetised, no matter how strong he is. If you fertilize a plant more than it can assimilate, the plant dies. Bad influences coming from other people can sometimes affect us. No one is strong enough to beat off evil.

That’s why you are at an age when you should study the forces in Nature. There are destructive forces, affecting both the mind and the heart. Many of your wishes and desires are like a bomb. Many of your thoughts can be equally destructive. When handling such a desire you should be as careful as a sapper handling a bomb – it contains pyroxilin, so you should not touch it. The person who has taken the bomb should carry it far away, about two kilometres, and leave it there. So, leave such a desire; do not toy with it. If you have some bad thought, do not tinker with it. What Jesus Christ said, not to defy evil, should be interpreted as not to examine or tinker with it. You need to have all the possible knowledge in order to be able to handle evil. Not just you, but many occultists dealing with evil get hurt. That’s why I draw your attention to the moral aspect; one has to become morally and spiritually strong. Love should be one of the main constituents of his soul. Love should be strong so that it can live in harmony with all the other elements. This is important because sometimes you might experience some hesitation, doubt, or discontent. When these occur, you should have something to do – you will work. They will occur naturally, no matter whether you experience difficulties or welfare. Such experiments have been carried out, so you might also be tried in the same way – you are left in a room provided with all possible comforts and luxury, and yet you might feel displeased. You should know how to cope with this discontent. If there is no one to guide and advise you, you might become pessimistic.

Therefore, at such moments of discontent you should have Light. You need some guidance to know how to make use of these negative forces. Negative forces in Nature can act to your benefit. You should be aware that the outer world will not greet you with laurels, as nobody is welcomed so. If you let any of your hens loose in Sofia, do you think that it will be taken care of and sent back to your henhouse? – No, it will go straight to somebody’s pot to be stewed and that will be the end of it. Do you think that if you let a horse or an ox loose around the town, it will come back to you? – No, it will get lost. It is not only animals that disappear but people, too. Do not think that you are free – you are not. If you think that you are free, it is just an illusion. You say, “We are capable of anything.” Then you should set yourselves a task to cope with these small hindrances life confronts you with.

For instance, what are your ways of fighting doubt? Let us say that you deny all possible ways, saying, “There is no future, there is no justice and people are dishonest.” Or you might get offended or angry about something. What should you do? Ask yourselves how do you know that people are bad and that there is no justice in this world, etc. What justifies such an opinion and what are your criteria? You need criteria to say that all people are bad. By what criteria do you judge that everything is an illusion? If everything is an illusion, then you have one criterion by which you judge. What is this criterion? – You take yourselves as a measure and use the same standards. By doing this you seem to claim, “I am the only good person, nobody else is as good as I am.” Yes, you are right, but there is a man next to you, who believes the same –so he says, “I am the best person.” You should agree on this. At first, you assume that there is no one better than you are, but when you meet this person, who thinks as you do, you say, “So it turns out that there is another good one.” Then you encounter one, two, three, four more, etc. One exception suggests that there are many others. Exceptions in people’s judgements show that they are not always right.

Now let us come back to the moral type in the drawing. You accept that type as moral, don’t you? But the way he is drawn suggests a kind of disappointment – his mouth is evocative of a certain discontent. Then should the chin be so straight? There should always be a dent on the chin, suggestive of emotional stability and endurance. This dent represents a valley with lush vegetation and springs. Therefore, if the lips are thin, it shows that the folds from where the water supplies come are insufficient. In such a person waters flow only when it rains, while in summer all rivers dry up. That’s why thin-lipped people have their sources dried up in summer; even if they are willing to do much, they cannot. Some say, “Why are my lips so thick?” – They are not happy about it. Actually, full lips can be somewhat dangerous, because when snow starts melting, great floods occur. Such people we call affectionate, as we cannot restrain them from loving. It is not so much love, but an influx of natural energy. Love is sensible. It is a sophisticated force, nobleness. While what you call love is a gale force – it sweeps everything away, burns down and devastates everything in its way. We confuse this dense matter, this intense force with Love, as a result of which the dense matter polarises us and breeds discontent.

With the moral type, the ray coming out from the eye should not coincide with the horizontal plane of vision, but be at an angle up, taking an ascending direction. The moral type is also intellectual, endowed with an excellent mind. A person who does not have an excellent mind cannot be moral. There are exceptions, but generally, the moral or the spiritual type has an excellent mind, different from the minds of others. Then, also, the greater the height from the ear to the crown, the better it is for the moral type. There are exceptions, but this height shows intensity of moral senses. Thus, the length of two lines is important: from the eye to the ear (I) and from the crown to the ear (II). The first line (I) determines the strength of the mind, while the second (II) determines the intensity of the moral senses. This is broadly speaking, as there are exceptions that can be corrected. What nose should the moral person have? The jaws of the moral type should not be too protruding, forming a curved line. The face should not be too flat, either. Such people tend to be passive, while the moral type should be extremely mentally and spiritually active. He is always ready to do you a favour; he does not stay indifferent; he is clever and has a good sense of timing. If his face is not well shaped, if the cheekbones are too high – as they are with the Chinese, then his cheeks are hollow. This part of the cheeks is related to the digestive system – it is indicative of indigestion. The width of the cheekbones and the face itself should not be too small. This width has a proportion, as it attaches a kind of stability to the character. People with narrow faces are very stable, while those with broad faces are conservative and not open-minded. It takes a long time before such a man makes up his mind. Naturally, there are exceptions. If such cheekbones are combined with a forehead structured as with the Mongolians, we will have the conservative type. The white race differs mentally from the Mongolian race: the forehead with the white race is well structured. It is equally broad at the lower and the upper part. With the Mongolians the part of the face round the cheekbones is wider than at the forehead. If the cheeks and the cheekbones are slightly protruding, it is indicative of sensuality. The cheekbones show what one’s feelings and potential are. The lower part of the face – down the nose – indicates the will. The nose reveals the spiritual type. We judge one’s mental capacity by the forehead. The lower part – the chin shows the will.

You should draw the full face of the moral type and not the profile. If you divide the face of the moral type in three parts – a forehead, a nose and a chin, they should be equal; these three lines should be of equal length. If the forehead is bigger, let us say 7 cm, the nose – 6 cm, and the chin 4 cm, then you have the unstable type. Such a person thinks well, feels well, but when it comes to acting, he fails. You could have the opposite case with others: the forehead – 4 cm, the nose – 6cm and the chin – 7 cm; so the will is dominant – such a person thinks little but does a lot. He will apply any idea that has occurred to him, no matter whether it is good or bad. He says, “We can do without much philosophy. The little we know should be applied in practice.”

So you should be working on yourselves. Some of you have to work on the forehead, some on the nose, and others on the chin. Someone will say, ”I have built up my will: In order to build up your will you have to work on the lower part of your face. If within two years you manage to lengthen your chin by two millimetres, then you are a person of strong will. Then if you manage to alter your nose and your cheekbones by a millimetre, it is also a matter of strong will. As for what you say, “I think I have changed.” – It is nonsense.

Now watch yourselves. First you should try to alter your nose. For instance, some people have their nose too narrow at the nostrils, which shows that their breathing is poor. You will improve your breathing if you widen your nostrils by a millimetre or two. If you succeed in this, it is a step ahead; you have made some headway. It is more difficult to change the length than the width. If you have managed to change your nose by a millimetre or two, it means that your respiratory system has improved. Then you can acquire a millimetre in length. If you succeed in this you will have acquired a lot of mental furniture. When the process of lengthening and widening your nose stops, you can start modelling it. In this way, you will be able to alter any part of your face. Some of you are melancholic. Notice that all melancholy people have their noses curved inward. It means that melancholy moods affect the nose. If you nose starts getting crooked, you should stop it. How? – By getting rid of all dark thoughts. Do not lose heart! If you get depressed, try to think of something else. Get rid of the matter that nips your hopes. Work on your vision and the pleasant states will occur. Do not be led by your mood. How do I define moods? – The mood is like a weather vane; the feeling is a well, a spring; the thought – a river; sensibility – an orchard full of fruit, and the principle – a school

You should bear in mind that working as a painter on your face is a difficult job. One should be working with a free mind. Each trouble and worry leaves an imprint on the face. Nature is not fond of people who worry. It does not like self-willed children. If you stop at a hindrance, it will how[A1]  a way out. Nature has enough will to show you the way, but it would rather you found the solution yourselves. It can wait for a year, two years, three, four, ten, a hundred, a thousand, but it will let you solve the problem by yourselves. Nature will not touch what is your share. When you solve the task, it will make a second step – it will give you new Light. If you persist, it persists, too. Nature acts in accordance with what you do. If you remain silent, it is silent, too. If you do not work, it does not either. It has another approach: It gives something to do to those who refuse to work in compliance with its laws. What work? - It does not give them wealth. It gives them poverty, thus making them work. Then it will give them a voracious appetite – they will want to eat a lot, but they will have no food. Hunger will make them search for a job from door to door. Nature can be extremely subtle. Ask advice about this from worldly people.

I have noticed that some people do not understand the Occult. Such people reveal many negative features. Let me illustrate this with a good example: Some years ago I met a person who told me the following story. “I invested eight thousand leva in a grocery, but the grocer stole the money and vanished into thin air. Never mind! I’ll make money again.” And indeed, I met him two years later and he told me, “I made that money!” Someone else would have said, “My money went down the drain.” While our fellow said, “This was not my money. Let bygones be bygones! It’s human to err. God is gracious. Let the trouble that would befall me go with the money. I’ll make some money again.” Our fellow is cheerful and in a good frame of mind. You should follow suit! If some trouble befalls you or if you lose something, keep saying, “God is gracious! I’ll be lucky again.” However, you do not do this. You stop and say, “Why should all this happen to me?” There is a method in Nature, which says, “Apply yourself to the task, study it and you will know the answer.” When Nature assigns you a task it never explains until everything is over. As soon as you have accomplished the task, Nature sets you another, then another and another. All great minds have experienced this – whomever Nature encounters, it keeps assigning tasks. You may think that when you accomplish a task it will not be followed by another one. But there are heaps of them – more and more serious! Now you have come up against some difficulties, but when you overcome them, there will be dozens of them and you will be confronted with harder and harder problems to solve. When you solve all of them, you will ask another question, “What is the point in Life?” – In this particular case the point in Life is to find a solution to your problem – nothing more than that. I would like to ask you now, “What’s the point in a bed?” – To have a rest. What should the properties of a bed be? – It should be soft and comfortable. You will say, “It should be a mattress so that when I get up in the morning my back will not ache. I expect to have had a good rest in it.” Then there should also be plenty of light in my room. It should be well aired – the air should be fresh and not thick with nasty smells.

You will say, “Can’t we do without sleeping?” What’s the point in sleeping? Under the present circumstances sleep is necessary. There will come a time when you will do without sleep, but for the time being sleep is necessary to restore strength. You waste a lot of energy in this life and it is necessary for you to have a seven or eight hours sleep so the body can restore some energy. Sometimes a crisis occurs. Why? – To relax. You regard this crisis as a waste, saying, “I lose.” Sometimes you think that you cannot feel. What is feeling? – By feeling you waste and indulge, that’s why your feelings need a rest. Another crisis might occur – to think that nobody loves you and understands you. This is a fiction[A2]  of the mind. If your hand has become so insensitive that you can’t feel anything when someone touches it – who is to blame – you or me? – It is your fault. Yet if your hand is so hypersensitive that you can feel the touch from afar, is it my fault? You will say, “But you touched me.” No, I haven’t, it is you that have perceived the touch of my thought. So you have become so sensitive that you can’t stand people. Some say, “I can’t stand society.” Then your astral twin leaves your body at a distance of a metre or two and you find yourselves in an unfavourable position. At the present stage of your development the astral twin is not supposed to leave your body even at a centimetre, because your surroundings are rather harsh. This twin is hypersensitive and as such should be close to the body. The more spiritual people grow, the more often their Spiritual bodies leave the physical ones, as a result of which their activities expand. To expand your activities you should be aware of the laws of your body.

Now imagine that your body expanded and ten to twenty people fell for you, eager to approach you. If you started driving them away, wouldn’t you get in trouble? – Of course you would. Each person who approaches you needs something; you are like a spring to him. Quench his thirst and give him a bottle to drink. Do not take this literally, as it is just a symbol. By this I mean: Give everyone a comforting thought. Give yourselves a rest and give whomever an intense thought, wishing him good. By wishing someone good, you are likely to fall into another error – you might think, “Did my thought reach its addressee?” Once you have focused on sending a good thought, you needn’t worry about anything. The thought will reach its recipient. But if you start wondering whether it has reached its address or not, it will be stopped and start wandering in blank space. There are thousands of such thoughts, hanging in the air. You are surrounded by thoughts that have not reached their destination. They were written and sent to the wrong address, so they get stuck at post offices. There are Divine Post-offices, where you will be able to find your letters in the future – they will have been waiting for years before they reach you.

Next time you come you will correct your moral type. What will you add to it? Here is what you can see in the facial expression of the moral type: whether he is serious, smiling or worried – there are always features that change. His face has a basis. People whose moral senses are not developed might look pleasant before they smile, but as soon as they smile, there is something disgusting about the face. There is something stable in the face of the moral type, around which everything is grouped. Besides, you should study the moral type’s face from a physiognomic point of view. There are two or three lines in his face, which are peculiarly structured. Read his physiognomy to find the finest lines. I am not going to discuss all the lines, because studying the physiognomy presents a certain danger for you. The danger is this: if I speak about pathological features, any of you when coming back home will start searching for them in the mirror or in other people. Whomever you see, you will say, “He is one of those.” Bad is easier to be instilled, so you will see sick people all around. Therefore, it is risky to be shown negative features.

Mind one more thing: a feature can be true only if it can be found at three points – on the skull, on the face, and on the hand. It has to be also present on the forehead, on the upper part of the face, on the cheekbones, or on the chin. There should be at least one small indication somewhere on the face, and then on the special parts. Sometimes a certain indication can be seen only on the forehead; in such a case it exists only as a potential state, a possibility. Sometimes it can be seen on the chin – then it refers to the will. However, if a defect is present everywhere - on the head, on the face, and on the arm, it means that the person has sinned a lot by heart, by mind, and by will. Such a person is like a bomb, so you should treat him with extreme caution, or ignore him.

You are still developing. It is a process that is incomplete, so you should be working on yourselves. One is unable to work while in his mother’s womb; it is the mother who is working on him, because he is not free. Once born, you can become your own mother – working the way you find appropriate. You could say, “It depends on society.” No, it doesn’t. Any of you is capable of moulding your own personality; all you need is a bright mind, a noble heart and strong will. Equipped with all these, you can achieve anything. You only have to study the laws of Nature. Before accomplishing this, you will be confronted with many difficulties, which, however, are not a bad omen - they can be an asset. One who has faced difficulties is treated more favourably by Nature than those who haven’t. Such is the great law.

(- Is there a limit to development?) – No, there isn’t. It is we, following the law of suggestion and heredity, who set the limit. When one gets to forty, fifty, or sixty, he starts saying, “I've grown old!” Either he takes this into his head, or others impress it on him. In this way one accepts old people’s way of thinking and becomes one of them. No, you should try to rise above all old people and say, “I’ll never grow old!” They say, “We are too old now. What remains to us is to die.” Dying is a process in the law of reincarnation so that activities can start again. It is just a temporary method in Nature. We are going to implement better methods than the present ones, but now you have to work. Each of you must work!

A secret prayer

- Only the light way to Wisdom leads to Truth.

- It can give us constant Mirth and Joy.

[A1]This is not clear – maybe [hew].

[A2][fantasy]