1924_04_27 PUTTING UP THE EDIFICE OF GOOD

Ani

Note 2p

PUTTING UP THE EDIFICE OF GOOD

28th lecture given by the Master to the Youth Occult Class

27th April, 1924, Sofia

The God of love is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living

Reflection

Five essays on “The adaptation of the human soul” were read.

A few works on the topic “The best method of self-restraint” were read.

The Master presented the following diagram:

1924-04-27-19_fig1.png

Fig. 1

Let one of you come to the blackboard. We will try to elaborate on the topic presented in this figure. Tell me who is stronger – one who causes evil or one who does good, one who ascends the mountains or one who descends it?

A student: One who climbs the mountain.

Give this thought its mathematical expression. Mark the climbing with the arrow I. Can you explain how you understand this?

A student: The law in physics is as follows: There is a final point that can be reached by a moving body. When the body reaches the final point in its motion upwards, it has already lost its kinetic energy. Its energy transforms in potential energy. From this point the body starts descending and accumulating energy again. The following coordinates can offer a geometrical presentation of these movements. The coordinates consist of two perpendicular axes, which cross at point O. Point O is considered to be the beginning of the coordinates. The beginning determines the direction of the two axes. To the right of point O along the horizontal are the positive quantities (+X). The ones to the left along the horizontal are negative (-X). Up along the axis the direction is positive (+Y), and down the axis it is negative (-Y) Can we define how much energy is wasted when ascending and descending? Or how much energy do we need to do a good deed?

A student: Energy is proportional to the height – a higher good requires more force and vice-versa.

Let us say that from +Y falls a body. The body moves along a straight line, but if it meets resistance, the body will deviate.

A student: It depends on the body’s weight. If we drop a feather in the air, it starts falling not in a straight line but in a curved line.

Let us say that we drop two objects from point +Y - the first object weighs 10 kg and the second is 1 kg. What will happen?

A student: There is the following physical law: all objects fall at equal speed when in vacuum, but in the air the lighter objects fall more slowly and the heavier objects fall more quickly.

Well, having in mind that a body makes a bigger deviation when going through denser matter, you should apply this law in your Life. Let us say that you are in excellent mood today. You are joyful and merry – this means a motion upwards. Tomorrow, however, this motion changes, and you feel low – this is the motion downwards. You forget about your former position and take a move back[A1] . From all this you can infer that the surroundings you move in are stronger than your will. Therefore, they make you get back.[A2] 

1924-04-27-19_fig2.png

Fig. 2

A student: If there is a highest point one can reach in his ascent and a lowest point reached in one's descent, then the change of these two states – ascent and descent can be presented in the following diagram: Let us assume that a point M moves along the circle; there is no joy yet at point A, only the necessary conditions for joy to appear (OA – I) – that is cosinus. When point M starts moving along the circle, the projection of the radius vector OM upon the axis OX decreases and the projection upon the axis OY increases. When the point reaches B, then cosinus = 0, and sinus has reached its highest quantity - =1. From now on the reverse process starts: joy decreases, sinus decreases, while cosinus increases. Hence the rule: when sinus increases, cosinus increases and vice versa – when cosinus increases, sinus decreases.

How do you think your states occur? Do they come on their own?

A student: I think that man travels through various media and absorbs different influences; as a result different states occur.

Let some of you answer how the states of man are determined in psychology.

A student: It depends on what dominates the consciousness – whether it is something material, or an emotion, a thought, or an impulse. Accordingly, the state of mind receives a certain tone, shade or force.

Very often people ask what the physical state of a person is. We need to start from the visible to the invisible. What do I mean?

A student: Whether a man is healthy, sick or what his well being is.

I mean whether one has money, land, etc. One’s wealth depends on what property he has – land, estate, etc. If the person has 100 decares, two houses and a steady income, you can say that his property status is good. Then you ask about one’s health, body, mental sate, and finally, about one’s spiritual status. So, the physical status is determined by the organic forces, the mental state is determined by the wealth of the thoughts, and the spiritual status is determined by the wealth of one’s emotions. Each state can be changed. How? Let us say that you have one thousand levs – this is your wealth; you also have a partner who does not have a penny, but is very clever; so you give him a share of the profit. However, after trading for a year, you lose fifty thousand levs; your status has changed, hasn’t it? (-Yes, it has). How much? (- By 50%). You have lost 50,000; besides, you have lost 5,000 levs from the profit.

A student: The loss is 50% plus 5,000 levs.

How will you define the status of your partner? He did not have anything; therefore, has his status changed if referred to the fixed capital?

A student: By 2,500 levs from the loss of the expected profit.

The next year you lose the other 50,000 levs of the fixed capital plus another 5,000 levs from the profit; then your wealth will change totally, as you will lose your disposal[A3] . How much will your partner’s disposal[A4]  change? – It will change with 5,000 levs. So, the wealth of both of you has changed. One who has lost 100,000 will not have a wink of sleep; he will pace nervously round the room, while the partner, who has not invested anything in the stock, will be calm and relaxed. Why? Because he has not lost anything – he has lost only part of the expected profit. The first one loses 100%, while the second loses only part of the perspective profit. This is a physical law of descent.

The opposite law is of ascent. Let us say that the first year they have 100,000 levs fixed capital and 10,000 levs profit. The next year they get another 10,000 levs profit – their wealth is on the increase. This law applies to everybody. On entering some society, you will invest some capital, i.e. under the present conditions you will be someone’s partner – either with your capital or your labour; nobody can be free under the present conditions. If you are poor, yet clever, they will tell you, “Join me, you are a clever guy. I have the money. You have the ideas. Let’s start a business together.” You can either win or lose. Such is the karmic law: you were born at a definite time, you have committed sins and crimes without thinking much that sooner or later you will have to pay. Do not think that as you have come here, you will avoid paying. What about this loss? Do you know how much energy is wasted for your heart, your mind, your will and body to be created? All this energy has been estimated to a nicety. Therefore, the loss you suffer in this span will be estimated and five thousand years later you will be found somewhere as an Englishman, a Frenchman or whatever and you will be told, “You, as a Bulgarian owe 500,000 levs.” You have a karmic debt; what will happen while you are paying it off? You will be born blind, weak or handicapped, so you will have to pay it off all your life.

Now, I would like to make you think of the best method of self-restraint. You will stop and say, “I will have to pay!” You are wrong to think that you will not pay. No, you have to stop for a while and consider this law. After thinking it over, you will have a profit of at least 50%. But if you do not dwell on this law, when a misfortune befalls you, you say, “I am hurt.” You have to stop and say, “No, I have more important things to consider. I am liable for my debts.” Is it worth stopping half way thinking of my dignity, while I have a more important job to do? Do you know what feeling hurt is? – The mistress of the house sent her servant on an errand – to buy some milk in a copper pot; another boy started throwing stones at him, so the boy left the pot on the ground and rushed after the bad boy. Other children passed by, kicked the pot, and the milk spilt. When the boy came back home the mistress gave him a good hiding. I say - This boy could not have caught up with the boy who threw stones at him, because the latter was rather long-legged. The errand boy came back home and it was he again who was beaten. Anyone in this world who stops to defend his dignity among immoral people will always find his milk spilt - his comrades will beat him and his mistress will beat him, too. This is a true law. As you started a quarrel about yourself, your mistress asked you, “Why did you leave the milk unattended?”

1924-04-27-19_fig3.png

Fig. 3

Now, you seem to think that as you have joined the Occult teaching, it will free you from all your fallacies. No, this teaching can offer you an excellent method of having a better life. Refer to the diagram: One semi-circle stands for the joys, which are on the increase; the other semi-circle shows the sorrows, which are also on the increase. Point B represents an ascent, which has come from the basis AC. The points B and A can stand for two friends – the friend A invests the capital, so he is the basis AO, while B makes a profit without having invested any capital. A is the soil and B grows in it. Consequently, you should bear in mind that in a joint venture one of you will be the soil and the other the plant, i.e. one is passive, the soil, the base, and the other will be the active one. In a while, the B energy will reach its maximum and will pass to the opposite side, thus the activity of B will transform into passivity, on which A will start growing. When one does not follow the Divine law, he has to come back to the bottom part of the circle and start ascending from there. For instance, if some of you have encountered any misfortunes, or you have unfulfilled intentions and ideas – you are given the part of the soil – somebody else is successful, while you have to wait for the circle to be over. With time the conditions will change: there will come the time for you to rise – then he will become the soil, while you will be growing. These changes occur all the time. If you experience some grief, you should know that this time you are the soil. The following law exists in Nature: A great desire rises somewhere in the Spiritual world on the basis of any sorrow. It means that your sorrow at the moment helps the emergence of some noble feeling somewhere. So you should enjoy that great thought, desire or feeling, which is being built on the basis of your sorrow. Later this great thought, built on the basis of your sorrow, will pay back – it will recognise you and will help you. Then your sorrow will turn into joy.

Jesus said that there is a lot of sorrow in the world. It means that, “Now you are the soil, but I will see you, and your sorrow will turn into Joy.” I have noticed that you make a mistake, or rather you do not understand the law properly – you always want to be great people, to grow up. It is impossible – your growth stops at a point. The same refers to Nature – everything grows until 25th June, then all growth stops, which means that the energies cease to work. Take your body for example: when you are children, you grow up, but you cannot reach the Sun – you grow up to a metre and a half or two. Then this growth stops and transfers to other fields – your brains, your heart, your soul and your spirit. When the physical growth stops, a person who does not understand the laws ends up eating and drinking and says, “I’ve grown old. Let me indulge in eating and drinking at least – that’s the most I can do.” Whereas, one who understands the law, starts learning. That is why the elderly tend to read more, while, generally, young people lack focus unless some were born genius. So, feeling sad in Nature is a merit. There are cases when it can mean evil. At a certain period of time evil is a plus – it is dominant, while there are times when Good is a plus – then Good dominates.

(Isn’t it true that man has a lot of friends?) – No, it isn’t. In a particular case man can have just one friend, while the others simply have some influence on him. For example, the planets exert just a certain influence on the Earth. Which is the Earth’s only friend? (-The Sun). Yes, the only friend of the Earth is the Sun. It is a law – at a point you can have only one friend; the others simply have some influence on you. Each of them, in turn, has only one friend. Friendship is an aim – you already belong to a given planetary system. Different individuals belong to various psychological systems.

The law I would like to infer from everything said up to now, or an idea that should stay engraved in your mind, is that each suffering is the basis for the occurrence of something great. Each suffering you experience does not refer to you only. In your case there are others who experience the same suffering even more intensely than you do. Therefore, thousands and millions of people are the basis on which The Spiritual World is being built as a great benefit from which you can take your share.

1924-04-27-19_fig1.png

Fig. 4

Let us examine the triangle ACB. Who is the person who does good? – The best person is the one who represents the triangle ACB. In this case the triangle DOE represents the worst person. These two people are active, indicative of motion – they belong to one and the same category. Apart from them we have more – the best bad person and the best good person – they are both active and also form one category. Finally, we have a third category, namely - the worst bad person, who does not do evil and the worst good person, who does not do good – these two people are negative. Only that the one who does not do evil is the better one as he restrains from evil while the one who does not do good is the worse person in this case.

A student: This we can signify as: a good one who does not do good – G. N. G; (+/-); he is good, thus (+), but he does not do good – (-). The other one we define as: a bad one who does not do evil – B.N. E. (-/+); it means that he is bad – (-). However, he does not do evil, thus (+).

Let us apply the law now. Let us say that in this case you are doing good; then your states change and you say, “I don’t want to do good.” Sometimes just the opposite happens: For example, we have a criminal who has murdered someone’s son and is given the death penalty, because he is a bad person who has done an evil deed. My question is: Can his fate be changed? – Yes, it can. Here is the case: This criminal escapes from prison, crosses a river and sees that a princess is drowning – so he plunges into the river to rescue her, but he gets caught at the same time. My question is: Will they execute him? – (No, they won’t). He will not be executed, because he has saved the princess – so he will be acquitted. The same happens in life. That’s why one who has committed a crime has to do something good, i.e. to rescue the princess so that he can avoid capital punishment. First, he has committed a crime – (-). Then, he has done a good deed – (+), which makes up for the previous deed. If you rescue the princess, you will be acquitted. Each suffering is like the death penalty – something dies in you and you suffer. That’s why you should strive to exploit for good purposes everything you are given – it will come as your pluses. If the criminal says, “Let her drown! I’m not going to give her a hand!" he will be executed.

So, all of you have to apply this in practice. It is still a theory. That’s why, while you are examining your states, you have to be very careful, because they might change. You often happen to notice that some of your classmates are indisposed, but you say, “Why should I care?” so you do not show any concern and just pass by. However, it will not be long before this state comes back onto you. That’s why as disciples in a class you should try to help if you see that someone is morally unstable. Not all of you, only one has to offer help. (What exactly is this moral support?) Most of you have the feeling (which I call lovingness) to wish somebody good and send him nice thoughts without knowing him. Lovingness can be compared to the qualities of a plant growing by the water. For the time being you recognise each other by saying, “He is one of the brotherhood!” You cannot show the same lovingness and affection to one another. You think of yourselves most of the time. Wherever you go, you think of yourselves, of your own good. However, one has to have other thoughts as well. The maximum is to think only fifty per cent of yourselves and the other fifty you should devote to the others if you want to keep to the Divine law. One should not neglect himself, but one should not ignore the others either – as a result diseases can crop up. When the mother and the father have quarrels, the children fall ill. Very often the mother will say, “I don’t want these children.” The father might say the same. And it happens that if there is not a relative to offer support, a child can be gone[A5] , followed by another one. The children are healthy when there is love between the parents. The same law refers to a class of students. There should be always love among you. I do not mean your temporary changes of feelings, but the proper feelings of supreme Love, which you should cherish for one another. You should reveal the Divine principle - anything that is noble and lofty. It you show it, you will feel a kind of inner satisfaction. In the days and months to pass you will feel a profound joy; no one will know about this, only you will know.

First, you should be heroes in the small matters. Sometimes you will tell someone, “He has  karma. Let him live with it!” No, that boil should mature and burst – there is impure blood in it. I can heal it, relieving one’s sufferings. The person might have a wound, which he does not treat or heal properly, and you say, “That is karma!” No, it is my human duty to help this man, to ease his karma, to make things easier for him. You should observe this law. If you do not aspire up, you will go back[A6] . Someone will say, “Up, till I get to B!” Mind that the aspiration after Good cannot be stopped; the process towards Good is endless. If someone is stopped in his way towards Good, there should be some other reason – Good is infinite, the reason is beyond it. Assume that one wanted first to become a philanthropist, to help humanity – this is one’s way up towards Good. However, another thought beyond him is affecting him – the desire to become Prime Minister of Bulgaria – this will stop his philanthropy and he will come back[A7] . This man cannot aspire after God once he has become a statesman.

All public figures move downwards. If you become a politician, you will by all means come back[A8] . Yet even if you came back[A9] , i.e. in your descent, you have to understand the laws. It is necessary because you can descend sensibly or not sensibly. For example, I see anger as diplomacy. One who is anger-prone is a Prime Minister. The moment he gets angry, everybody is afraid of him. When the mother gets angry, everybody is intimidated – both the father and the children are scared. An hour or two later she collapses, she gets sick, she has descended from her superior position of a minister, she has resigned. Is there any of you who has not been a tzar for at least five minutes? Do you know the story about the gypsy who was carrying a pot of milk? He was imagining that he was a tzar who ruled the world. While he was imagining this, he jumped for joy and dropped the pot. It crashed on the ground and the milk spilt all over. Sometimes you say, “We want to become ministers or tzars.” It often happens that you start imagining things – you have your small pots of milk, you have your skills and opportunities, but you imagine bigger worldly goods and blessings. At a point you jump for joy, but you fall on the ground and find yourselves in harsh reality. There are a number of laws regulating Life. We can try to estimate the chances of becoming a tzar. Let us say that there are four million people in Bulgaria who need a tzar. So, the chance for each one of these four million people is one to four million. One’s nearest objectives have been set so far. All people can be good but not everybody can get rich. It is impossible. If everybody wants to become rich, it will fuel a competition, which will breed evil. However, if everybody decides to do good, there will not be rivalry, as it is an equal opportunity.

Now I am going to infer another rule: if you happen to have a kind of negative desire, it will indicate that you aspire after things that make an exception. In such a case you will feel hatred, doubt or discontent – which accompany unfulfilled wishes. That’s why you should aspire after Love – it is attainable to everybody. You will aspire after Wisdom – it is also achievable by everybody. You will also aspire after Virtue – it is possible for everyone. You will aspire after Justice – it is also easy to achieve. These are the things that can be achieved in this Life.

To be wise does not necessarily mean to be learned. Everybody can be wise, but few can be learned. That’s why you should all try to be wise. You needn’t aspire after being learned. Wisdom is within everybody’s reach. You cannot be all beautiful. Beauty can be easily lost, so it is not achievable to everybody. Being beautiful is beyond you, but all of you can cherish Love – it depends on you. All of you can attain Love. These things take centuries to acquire. They cannot come overnight. The wise person is very perceptive and thoughtful. He always knows what to do without showing off. He is also very practical – if he is at university, he will make his way to the hearts of his tutors, by taking the initiative for this or that. All professors and tutors are willing to assist him – he understands them, and they in turn, show understanding too. One who is not wise is shown the way out and told, “This is not a place for servants.” There are cases when servants have ousted professors, they have studied the subject profoundly and when it happens that the professor fails to turn up for the lecture, the servant takes his place. So when the professor comes after all, the servant says, “I am sorry, but I delivered the lecture for you.” The professor answers, “Very well, you have become my substitute.” The servant is devoid of ambition, and the professor falls into disrepute. That is a wise person – he can become learned with time. One has to be wise in the first place – if one is wise, he can achieve anything. Getting knowledge is the source of Wisdom.

A secret prayer

The God of Love is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living

[A1]Example – [take a step back] or [move back]

[A2]Example - [they make you return to your former position]

[A3][good disposition]

[A4][disposition]

[A5]Unclear. Does it mean – [a child can die]

[A6]Example - [go backwards]

[A7]Example - [return to his previous position]

[A8]Example - [move back to your former position]

[A9]Example - [returned to your former position]