1931_07_22 Unproved Truths

Ani

Note 2p

Unproved Truths[A1] 

Now, for thinking through the day you will take the verse: “Truth will make you free.” Today few have a clear, concrete idea of Truth. If for every given case man knows how to do something and can do it, this is a way, a relation to Truth. For man to know where the bread is and to be able to accept and enclose it in him, this is a relation to Truth. If man knows the place of the bread and if the organism knows to accept it, he will acquire Freedom – he will be free from hunger, which usually deprives the powers. In the case [A2] Truth represents a relation to something. If you don’t know what your relation to some man is, you don’t know him. Man shows himself through his thoughts, feelings and actions and if you don’t know what some man thinks, feels and acts, you don’t know him.

The contemporary people want to know where God is and what He represents. I say: where there is Life, where there is thought, where there is feeling, there God is. You will say: “What is Life?” I shall answer this question only if you tell me where this thought came to you from. If you want to know what Life is, I want to know where this thought came from. You go to school, the teacher takes chalk and writes on the black board: “So and so had two hundred sheep”; I ask, do the pupils see these sheep on the board? There are no sheep on the board the teacher only writes. What does he have in mind by writing two hundred sheep on the blackboard? If in the schools the pictorial system of education was prevalent, then how ever many sheep the teacher writes on the board, all these sheep should be in front of the children – the teacher writes on the board ten sheep and immediately in the room, in front of the children, ten sheep come in. Why these sheep do not come in the classroom, is a question for reality, isn’t it? All people speak about real works, they don’t declare abstract things; in spite of this real things are not at hand.

Someone says: “I want to pray to God.” How will you pray to God who you don’t see and for whom many people say doesn’t exist? – “I believe in God.” How you can believe in unreal things, it is impossible for man to believe in things which don’t exist. Once you believe in God, it means that God exists – the faith in something understands that it exists. Someone says: “I don’t believe in God.” If you don’t believe in God, you believe in something else. It is the same as a pupil who says to his teacher: “I don’t believe in the sheep”; if you don’t believe in the sheep, it still doesn’t mean that they don’t exist. The teacher takes his pupil by the hand and leads him to the sheep – the pupil sees that the sheep are herbivorous animals, covered with wool, bleat, give milk etc.; he convinces himself of their existence but nevertheless without this they still exist. Many want to find God in the same way as the pupil who saw and touched the sheep and then believed in their existence. God can’t be found only with the touching of a hand and with seeing; God can be found with touching, and with seeing, and with feeling, and with thought.

Now let’s suppose that you stay and philosophize over Freedom, and one of you says: “I am a free man, nobody can order me around.” Imagine that a thick needle pierces your leg; the more you move the deeper the needle pierces into your leg and you feel a lot of pain. I ask, as you are a free man, why don’t you take the needle out from your leg, why don’t you set yourself free from the pain which the needle causes you? When I adduce this example, you will say: “What is hidden in this example? Something is hidden, but you have to understand it by yourself. Imagine that a young girl loves her mother, her father, all her close relatives, but one day she meets a young man who starts to go after her; the young girl thinks that this young man has fallen in love with her and she starts to be interested in him, becomes absent-minded, and wants to meet him too. This young man hasn’t fallen in love with the young girl at all, but he thought to marry and for this reason he searches for some young girl who can execute the post of a servant-girl. In a way this is still not love, or marriage – this young man likes the young girl, he sees that she is healthy, strong, he wants to marry her, to set her in work and after several years, when she already can’t work, he will leave her. I ask where is the love of this young man? This is happening not only with the young girl but also with the young man. The young man searches for a servant-girl, and the young girl – for a servant. This shows that either the young man or the young girl is not free.

I say: if the young man comes to some young girl and says that he wants to marry her, she has to understand correctly the relations in Life and to decline this offer. The young girl has to tell him: “While I am under my paternal roof, with the love of my mother and father, I am good, I won’t become a servant-girl to anybody; while I have the possibility to be mistress, there is no reason to become a servant-girl. I know Love and nobody can lie to me, neither with his letters, nor with his words. God gave me Life and I shall serve Him; if I come to you, not only that you can’t support my Life, but from above of it you will deprive it[A3] .” The same thing the young man has to tell the young girl. In the life of contemporary people almost every man suspects his wife of some crime and almost every woman suspects her man in the same way – and this life they call marriage. After all this, the man, the woman, the children pretend that they don’t think anything bad. This is not a family, this is not marriage – these are partnerships based on fraud; they don’t think anything bad but their works don’t go well.

I ask, the relations which exist among the contemporary people, are they in agreement with the Will of God? Nobody has a right to restrict anybody. Someone makes a mistake – he himself will answer to God for his sins; God will hold him responsible for his sins, and not the people. Someone does good – again he will experience the consequences of his actions, there is no reason for people to praise him. When somebody does evil, I can only be sorry; if he does Good, I can only be glad.

Some man boasts that he is a good painter – this means that he searches for work, to paint some picture. If this painter doesn’t paint as it should be done, nobody will search for him. But, if he is a great master and can paint as it should be done, everybody will search for him. In a way, if somebody boasts that he is a good man, good painter or musician, it is understood that he wants to have friendship with you. This friendship will sustain such as will sustain the picture of one poor painter[A4] . It is the same as the poor disciple who goes to some teacher and says to him that he wants to become his disciple. This teacher will cause big troubles to such a disciple – why? Since he will not study but will want from the teacher only good marks and will be angry that he hasn’t been rewarded as he thought he should be. If the disciple doesn’t believe that his teacher gave him a poor mark justly, the teacher may call a commission to look at his picture and to pronounce a verdict. The nice, the beautiful, everybody likes and values correctly. The work praises the man but not what he thinks of himself.

Now many of you act like the poor disciple – they say: “When we pray in the morning, we read the same prayers – The Good Prayer, “Father of us[A5] ”; we want new prayers, we want variety.” I ask, when you have read so many times the Good prayer, have you understood the meaning of the words “God, Father of us[A6] ” with which this prayer starts? To pronounce these prayers without understanding their sense is equal to pronouncing the words “I am hungry”, without understanding the sense of hunger. When does man understand the sense of hunger? When he eats until he is full. And the opposite – man understands the sense of eating when he becomes hungry. Therefore the hunger will give meaning to eating, and eating will give meaning to the hunger. If man doesn’t become hungry, he will lose the sense of Life.

It means that between the hunger and the eating from one side, and between the suffering and the joys from the other, a parallel may be drawn. The suffering is hunger, the Joy is eating. If man isn’t sorrowful and isn’t glad, he will not understand the sense of Life – the grief and the Joy are inevitable fellow-travellers in the Life of man. And man will not be sorrowful and be glad only once but will be constantly sorrowful and constantly glad. In every grief he will understand the sense of eating and will imagine a rich table on which there will be beautiful cheese pasties, hens and other food. This awakens in him energy for work. The satisfied do not work, the hungry man works. What lets the people work? The hunger. And that is why I say: the people work thanks to the hunger, thanks to the sufferings, otherwise nothing could go out from them. The hunger and the suffering are impulses, stimuli which force the people to work, to develop.

Someone says: “My head whitened from sufferings!” This man wants to be glad without having to suffer. This thing is impossible – it is impossible to have Joy without suffering and suffering without Joy. Since God allowed the sufferings, this life till now is best; after this life another will come, better – the better life doesn’t expel the sufferings but explains their deep sense. Today the people suffer and they are dissatisfied from the sufferings, they are glad and are dissatisfied from the joys. Whoever is dissatisfied from the suffering, is also dissatisfied from the Joy. Someone says: “I am glad but I don’t know for how long – I made a house but I don’t know how long it will be mine; I married a good woman but I don’t know how long she will be mine, tomorrow somebody else may like her.” This shows that in every human joy, in every human acquisition one worm hides, which torments the man. First of all God hasn’t sent the man on the Earth to have a woman, and neither was the woman created to have a man and children.

You meet a Bulgarian dressed in European clothes – he threw his national dress away, he thinks that nobody will know what he is. No matter what clothes man dresses in, he will always remain the same – the clothes don’t make the man, they are fashions which have a temporary meaning. The European clothes are beautiful, modern cut, well sewed, but they don’t define the life of man. Today the French clothes are in fashion, tomorrow the English ones will come. When the Turks admire something that is very beautiful, clever, solid, they say: “ingiliz akul” (English mind); for things which are outside of beautiful, they say that they are made “a la france” (French’s model).

When I speak about fashion, I find that it is not something essential – life could be lived with and without fashion. With equal reason I say that without religion of the forms life could be lived. Such religion is nothing else but exterior cloth, fashionably cut and sewed, which man made by himself. And without such religion life could be lived, as life could be lived without hens, without cheese pasties, without sweetmeats. But without bread life couldn’t be lived. This shows that in Life there are essential and inessential things. Some say: “Can bread go without cheese?” It can; you want to make the cheese companion to the bread but the bread says: “I don’t need a companion, I complete my work alone.” The cheese only distracts the people, it can’t give the necessary nutrition which the bread gives. Feed the people some time only with cheese and you will see the results of it – people can feed only with bread, but only with cheese – they can’t; if they feed only with cheese, after one week at the most they will throw it away and will say: “Give us bread!” Therefore the cheese is a supplement in life, an inessential thing. The essential from the inessential has to be differentiated. The essential is only what we can’t live without. Bread is an essential element for Life; Love is an essential element for Life because everything ensues from it – it is the spring of Life.

Many people, when they listen to be spoken for Love, say that it had[A7] animal, human, angel and Divine love. These are forms of the Love which in the case are not in force[A8] . [A9] What is understood under the words human love? The human love is water closed in a bottle; if the bottle opens and turns with the mouth downwards, the water runs out, nothing remains of the love in the bottle. But, when speaking about Love generally, we understand what swarms[A10] , flows and never stops. From this Love one understands eternal Life, eternal good, eternal happiness, eternal Knowledge, eternal light, eternal power. If you have Love, all these things make sense; if you lose Love, everything loses its logic – why? The essential in Life disappears. The beginning of every manifestation in the world is Love. Behind the Light is Love, behind the Power is Love, behind the dissatisfaction, behind the sin again there is Love – the only power which directs and corrects everything in the world, is Love. You say: “Is it possible for Love to be behind the sin?” The Love is behind the sin because in this case the love hasn’t revealed itself yet but waits for a favourable moment to reveal itself. Who doesn’t know Love, always commits sins, crimes; after he knows Love, all kinds of sin, all kinds of crime will disappear. Therefore, till the people don’t know the Love, there will be sins, there will be crimes.

Now, I shall explain how and from where crimes originate: you have one beautiful crystal bottle with the capacity of one liter, full with water; you keep this bottle as if it is of special value and say: “Nobody touches it!” But some friend comes and without knowing pours a glass of water from this bottle; a second one comes – he pours one glass of water too; a third and a fourth come along – they pour one glass of water too and you look – the bottle is drained. You come, see the bottle empty and say: “Who dared to commit this crime?” It means that when somebody takes from the little which man has, this is a crime. Imagine that this man has the means at hand not only to own one bottle, but a big spring, which constantly flows and gives everybody how much they want; in this case, will there be a reason to commit crime? In abundance, crimes are not committed. Often in the love between people jealousy emerges – why? Since their love is in bottles – when they drink from it one or two glasses, it ends. The difference in the love of people remains in the fact that the bottles of some are smaller, and others – bigger, but they are always bottles, they are not springs. Love, in which there is jealousy, it is not any kind of Love. Some says: “I have Love.” Where is it? – “In this bottle – I don’t want to open it!” If somebody takes one drop from this water, he immediately shouts: “Don’t take water from my bottle, every drop is costly.” I take one big vessel and invite this man to come with me to one big spring, I put the vessel under the cock, the water in it runs and overflows and I say: “Here this is Love!” While Love is filtered on drops, it still hasn’t come to the Divine spring. If you want Love, go to the Divine spring – from there scoop up how much you want.

You say: “Where is God?” To the spring – if you want to find God, you have to go to the Eternal spring of Life. – “There is no reason to go so far when you can tell us something about this spring.” Go alone and see the spring, I don’t say anything about it. This Spring is a great thing; if I start to describe it, I shall make some mistake, I shall not describe it correctly – it doesn’t fall under any description, there is no language which it could be described with. If I describe it, you will not be satisfied – go to see it by yourselves. I went to this Spring alone, I understood it and now I can only advise you: go to this Spring as soon as you can, don’t put it off! For the long way which you will walk, don’t be sorry – everybody alone may go to this Spring. In a way, if you have human or angel love, one is important for you: and the human and the angel love are necessary, but the people and the Angels have always drawn and draw their Love from the Divine spring. I say: if you want to be set free from the torments of the human love – envy, doubt, suspicion, go to the Divine spring to scoop up water as much you wish. Even better – connect yourself with this Spring in order never to exhaust yourself.

The negative manifestations of Love are the cause of its misunderstanding. Some say: “I don’t believe in your words”; you don’t believe in who you have to, so you will believe in me? Another says: “I believe in your words”; what need do I have for you to believe in me, what do I gain from it? The faith understands relations – for us, to believe in God, this is understood to make a connection, to create relations with God in order for His Love to be able to flow through us. When I believe in some man, I have to make a connection with him in order for my Love to be able to start to flow in his house and for everybody to benefit from it.

According to me the notion of Faith is completely different from that of the contemporary people. To believe in some man, this means to have correct relations with him in order for the Divine Love to be able to reveal itself simultaneously in you, and in him. If man says that he believes in God, but he does not have correct relations with Him, of what use is this faith to him? You say that you believe in me, in my erudition, in my goodness. One day you believe – on the next day you don’t believe; what faith is this? One day you believe that I am a good man – on the next day you don’t believe, you change your opinion about me. This is not Faith, these are human conclusions. The real Faith saves – it understands to create an uninterrupted connection with God or with any given man. Such is the faith of the mother to the child, from this faith the child draws upon, and the mother as well – the child grows, develops and studies. With its coming on the Earth, the child helps the development of the feelings of the mother – if the mothers did not have children, their feelings could atrophy, and in these conditions the children couldn’t grow well and develop.

I say: many people haven’t clearly imagined Love, as a result of it they say: “Nobody loves us.” I ask who you love. Those ones who consider that are disciples, who do they love? If the love of contemporary people was put to a test, some of them will pass, others will not pass this exam. Who is Love for? For the hungry. If somebody brings a bag, full with bread, who is this bread for? For that one who needs it. Therefore to love somebody, means to be ready to give him bread from your bag. Imagine that you, who bring a bag with bread, need it; what you are going to do then? First you will eat and afterwards you will give to the others. I ask, can you love that one who has need of bread? Gather at one place two men who have hungered ten days, give them a piece of bread and see how they understand Love. Whoever has understood Love, he will take one clear cloth, will cover the piece of bread with it, will put his hand above it and will wait some time; it will not be long before the piece will start to increase, it will become a big loaf; after this the two of them will start to eat brotherhood. These are the people of Love – they have everything in abundance.

Someone takes a piece of bread from his bag and says: “This bread is dry, it can’t be eaten.” If this man can’t make the dry bread soft, he is from the ordinary people who know how to distract other people with their love. If I can’t transform the dry bread into soft bread, then I am from the ordinary people. When somebody speaks about Love, but can’t transform dry bread into soft bread, you don’t have to be tempted by him, but you will know that you have work with an ordinary man. The man of Love is neither tempted, nor tempts others. Who is tempted, he hasn’t a real notion about God; such a man can’t reach anything. This man is found in the state of a disciple who constantly changes his teachers – he goes to one teacher and says: “This teacher doesn’t cost [A11] anything”, he goes to another: “This one doesn’t cost[A12]  anything either”. In the end this disciple will not learn; the disciple can’t be cleverer than his teacher. If such disciple comes to some teacher, the latter becomes closed to him, because he knows that he is an ignoramus and doesn’t want to study – in this case the teacher gives only the bran of his knowledge. Under the word bran I understand the false, the wrong situations in Life or the reminders of the things which don’t cost anything.

Everybody has to know that if man lives in inner self-delusion, this already is not Truth. Man always feels where the Truth is, but he doesn’t acknowledge it. For example, some man is defined to do one good deed first, as a step forward, but he says: “Another will come instead of me.” That is how all the people put off doing Good, but in this way they enter into a contradiction with the great law which works in them. If they enter into a contradiction with this law, and God leaves them – where God is absent, nothing could happened there. Therefore, every work, every good action has to be looked at in its final results; the final results represent the coming of God, the manifestation of His Love, Wisdom and Truth. After the Love, the Wisdom and the Truth manifest, The Divine Spirit will be present among us and we will have the real Reality of things – with this the real Life begins. Till this Life comes, a year – two, ten, one hundred may pass but you have to wait out this period of time[A13] . I say: the sense[A14] of Life is in man to wait for the time of the arrival of Absolute reality. There are trees which flower once in one hundred years; what do these trees have to do? They have to wait for their time to flower. Some waited ninety nine years and say: “I can’t wait anymore, I lost my patience!” I say: you waited so many years, have a little more patience, only one hour remains until you flower. Such a situation represents the manifestation of the Divine Love in eternity. You waited years and years, now you are at the end of eternity – wait one hour more till the Divine Love reveals itself, look out not to lose this hour! Why? Since the Divine Love, Wisdom and Truth reveal themselves only once in eternity. The beautiful, the great works appears only one time in eternity.

I say to you too:  only one hour more remains till Love shows itself. You say: “There is more time.” There is not anymore time, you have to stay at your post and wait the arrival of Love. You will be awake, you will remain careful and will not deviate your thought to one or another side. If deviate your thought from the aim of your waiting, you will find yourself in the state of that man who decided to make a hole in the mountain in order to connect one kingdom with another; whoever passed near him always addressed him with something and he stopped his work, and paid attention to all that had been spoken to him; when he stopped and paid his attention to this one, to that one, the hole had become obstructed and he couldn’t reach his target. The same will happen with you – people will come from outside to pull you, to distract your attention, but you don’t have to deviate. Some will come to tell you what they think of your work. Whatever they think, it is for them – their thought is not essential to you. You have to stay at the hole and to work, to wait for that moment when the hole is made and you reach your target. It means that the hour, in which the two kingdoms will unite, has come.

Many of you have come here feeling spiritually indisposed, since you think that God doesn’t love you, doesn’t think about you and doesn’t care for you. This is a big conclusion, a big self-delusion. In the Love of God there is no exception. Somebody is dissatisfied with himself that he did nothing; I say: don’t be confused, know that what is demanded from you, you will complete. If you are dissatisfied by your state, what you will say about the state of the little flies – God only now started to act over them. But ten – twenty million years more will pass till it will be seen what God has made from these flies. One thing is important – for Love to start to act. When a well is being dug, it is important for the first drop of water to appear – it is a sign that there is water in the soil. From the first drop a big spring will form, which will water all the gardens.

And so, you don’t have to lose your faith in God – there is no philosophy in it. Man has to believe; to believe in God, this is understood to make a connection with Him, the Divine Love to reveal itself – this is the mystical side of the question. Said with other words, man has to make a connection between his mind and heart. When talking about love among people, this doesn’t mean that you have to love the man outside but to make a connection with him, to show complete trust to him – if you have faith in the man whom you love, then God will reveal Himself in you. The same refers to your love to God – if you love God, you will make a connection with Him. After you make this connection, all the darkness from your mind will disappear and every embarrassment from your heart will be removed. In your mind Light will manifest, in your heart – enlargement, Peace, and Joy, and you will understand that the Will of God visited you. This flashing of Light in your mind and of Joy in your heart is a symptom that you can work, to reach everything which your soul wishes.

Now, you have to make one little effort, to restore your connection with God, to restore your Faith in Him. I call Faith a law of eating. Faith is understood by correct relations between the mind and the heart; after such relations between the mind and the heart exist, in your mind Light will appear, in your heart – enlargement. Then the dark things will become clear, and the misunderstood – understood; from this moment real Life will manifest. Now somebody says: “I love you” – in fact he doesn’t love. – “I believe in you” – in fact he doesn’t believe. To this one who loves me and says that he has faith in me, I say: “Lend me one thousand leva.” – “I don’t have” – he has money but he doesn’t want to give it to me because he has no faith in me. A young man says to some young girl: “Let us go for a walk.” – “I have work, I can’t go on walks.” In fact, the young girl has time to take for a walk with this young man but she doesn’t believe him, she is afraid to go out alone with him. Is this Love to be afraid of the man who loves you? It is not Love; Love is a holy thing, in it there is no fear. There isn’t anything more beautiful than to find a man with Divine Love in his heart – it is the same as to find one precious stone, to find one clean crystal spring which constantly flows, to enter a garden with the most beautiful fruit trees or at last to write yourself as a disciple in well-appointed school.

I say: such your image has to be about Love. What the present understandings are about Love is not important for me, but if you enter the desert with your love, your mouth will become dry; if you enter the desert with Divine Love, it will transform it to a garden. If you enter the desert with your little bottles, full with water, the desert will remain a desert, its life will not change at all. It is already time for you to go to the Divine spring – from there to draw; the bottles with water can’t satisfy you today. Everybody has to go in the New way; the old way, the old understandings don’t give anything, they are already tested. Now new understandings are demanded, new Light.

Some say: “I want to serve God.” How will you serve him? – “As I love Him, as I believe in Him.” I say: if some man constantly troubles God with his love, is this love to God; if the love of the disciple constantly troubles the teacher, what is the value of this love? Such love is nothing else but noise and dust. This thing exists in the present schools: the pupils say that they love their teacher, but till he comes in class, they play, jump in the room, on the desks, they raise so much dust that they oppress the teacher, and themselves; they breathe with great difficulty. The work of the teacher then consists of opening the widows and to see how to get the dust out of the room as soon as possible. If the pupils say that they love their teacher, but behind his back they speak badly, is this Love? The one and the other is fraud. The pupils have to be satisfied by the knowledge of their teacher, and the teacher has to be satisfied by his pupils – there must be complete faith between teachers and pupils. The Divine law can’t reveal itself among the people if their faith is not absolute.

Therefore every disciple has to be not only diligent but also capable. Some say: “I am already old.” You became old from indolence – man becomes old from indolence, from laziness. The lazy people become old, but the industrious ones – never. Some say: “I am already sick and tired of work!” – Only the lazy man says that. Man has to work with pleasantness, with Love, never to be bored. The painter paints, observes, paints again till at last he completes his picture – he does all of this with Love. What do the people do? While they are young, they work a lot; after they start to become old, they say: “Here comes old age, we already have to rest.” This is the wrong understanding – in old age man has to work more than the young. Little children for example don’t work in anything; if man becomes one hundred and twenty years, then namely God will set him to work in His field. God doesn’t want children to plough and reap for Him, for this work He will set the grandfathers to work.

You say: “In old age man has to rest, and then all kind of work has to stop – this we verify every day and in society.” For which society do you speak of – the society of the lazy people or the society of the industrious, of the working men? If you speak of the society of the lazy people, put it aside. Some men will come to speak to me that so and so was very learned; if you speak of scientists who distract people with pasties with cheese, we don’t need their pasties. If they offer us bread from fresh wheat, well kneaded and baked, we will accept it immediately, but when it comes to their cheese pasties, we refuse. Bread is a necessity, the cheese pasty is not a necessity – life can be lived with and without cheese pasties, but without bread it can’t.

And so, in all the trials you will pass in your Life, look to keep the essential. One day, when all people leave you and you remain alone, you have to know that there is somebody in Life who is always with you. Actually a day will come when man will remain perfectly alone – and the mother, and father, and brothers, and sisters, and friends will leave him; when he sees himself in this loneliness, he will shout, he will pray till God comes to him and asks him: “What is the problem?” – “Everybody left, they left me alone.” – “You are not alone, don’t worry, I am with you.” Many think that they have passed this experience; no, you haven’t had the experience of enduring this terrible loneliness, you still haven’t seen yourself in the hands of the black friend, to know what suffering means. Have you gone down to hell to see what the eternal fire represents? Some of you only burned themselves a little from this fire. Have you gone down to the bottom of hell to see the terrible fire which burns and never burns out? Some say: “What is hell?” – I don’t like to speak about hell but say: “Come in and see!” – “What is Heaven?” and about Heaven I don’t like to speak but I say: “Go and see!”

There is meaning in the one and the other state to be experienced. Who hasn’t gone down to the bottom of hell, can’t go up to Heaven; who hasn’t gone up to Heaven, he can’t go down to the bottom of hell. What you will understand from this? Even if I speak five hundred years more, you still will not understand what hell is and what Heaven is till you visit them alone. If you don’t understand me, I shall be glad – why? I am glad when some man doesn’t want to eat a cheese pasty – after he doesn’t want to eat a cheese pasty, he sets me free from the unnecessary labour to mix the flour with the cheese in order to make a cheese pasty. After all this, some preacher will speak about what hell presents – he will say that hell is a place of eternal torment, of eternal fire where they poke, and torture people etc. This is mere talk. If you want to know what hell is, what torment is, you will go down to hell. You still don’t know what torment is, but I don’t want to speak to you about it. You still don’t know torment or suffering.

You say: How is it possible for us not to know suffering and torment – we tasted sufferings, and torments. After that, I shall make another assertion: you know sufferings and torments but you don’t have Love in yourselves. And to this assertion you retort again: “We love, we know Love.” I ask then have you gone to hell? – “We haven’t, we haven’t even come close to the door of the hell.” I say: who has gone in hell and the fire of the hell couldn’t destroy him, he is a hero, he is already dressed in the cloth of Love; who hasn’t gone to hell, he can’t go to Heaven, and he can’t speak about Love. If you go by some way to Heaven, they immediately will ask if you have you gone to hell. If you say that you have gone, they will accept you immediately with esteem and respect. Some people think that in hell there are only stupid people. No, in hell there are no herdsmen, butchers, or publicans – there everything that is similar burns; if you bring brandy and wine into hell, it will evaporate, will disappear. You say: “Then what life is there in hell?” Who has gone to hell, has learned the great law of Love. Christ hid this thought in the verse in which it says about the Angels: “Go in the eternal fire, prepared for you, to learn the laws of the great Love and Pravda!” It means that these Angels who haven’t understood Love, God sends to the eternal fire as a place of teaching. After they pass through hell, they will understand these laws and will take the opposite way.

Therefore, we don’t have to meddle in the Divine works and to ask why hell is created, why Heaven is created. Why hell is created only God knows; why Heaven is created only God knows – and hell is in its place, and Heaven is in its place. Such is how it is spoken from a human point of view, but from a philosophical view the question goes in another way. Someone says to God: “I don’t want to go to hell.” – “And I don’t send you.” I say: who wants to understand Divine Love, he has to go down to hell by all means.

Now I speak only for those of you, who are candidates for hell, but not for Heaven. You say: we think that we will go to Heaven and you send us to hell. These are new views over Life, but as you understand things, there is not any philosophy in them, any Life. David says: “Even to go to hell, you will admonish me there.” I don’t have in mind your childish grasping about hell, or the medieval grasping according to which hell is the most terrible place in the world. You have to know one thing: if God is in the hell, I shall go there too, otherwise my leg will not step in there. If the Life of God, if Divine Love, Wisdom and Truth penetrate into hell and rule it, I shall go there too; but if the Life of God, Divine Love, Wisdom and Truth are not there, my foot will not cross the threshold of hell.

I wish to you all to have sober thoughts and feelings – you may doubt in everything, but in God – never! If you come to God, you must have sober thoughts and sober feelings, not to be shaken by anything. Your thought and your feeling to God don’t have to be shaken by anything – if you are in hell, or in Heaven, your thought and feeling for God mustn’t be shaken by anything. The thought and feeling of man may get lost in Heaven, and in hell – wherever you are; otherwise the falling of the Angels couldn’t be explained. What is the reason that they left their holy place? I shall not explain the reasons for the fall of the Angels, but I say: man may doubt in Heaven and in hell – doubt penetrates everywhere. That is why only the spirit who can’t doubt is perfect in Heaven and in hell. Only that man can accept Divine Love, who in hell and in Heaven remains the same – this man remains the same in the sorrows, and in the joys; the law is the same in the two cases. Does man doubt when sorrows and sufferings come? If you suffer a lot, God wins nothing; and if you are very glad, He doesn’t win anything again – God has everything, there is nothing more to win but man loses. Why? Since he dispenses with one good. And in the sufferings, and in the joys, God has foreseen one good for man – the grief is good and the Joy is good. God leaves these goods to man, to gather and use them. He demands from the people to make a connection, to create relations between Joy and grief and in this way to reconcile them. I say: to every man is given a task to reconcile Joy with grief – Life is full with such tasks. Who can juxtapose correctly, to reconcile the Joy with the grief in him, he passes for a disciple and already goes in the Correct way. This is the great task of Life – to conciliate our grievances with the sufferings (it seems it was joys **).

And so, the main thought of this lecture is, if you are in hell, and if you are in Heaven and it doesn’t generate any doubt in you, but to remain the same and to thank God that He is in hell, and in Paradise. The moment, in which you find yourself in hell and come to the correct decision of the relations between grief and Joy, you will go to Heaven immediately; if you are in Heaven and you can’t understand this relation, you immediately will find yourself in hell. For example you are in a good, happy frame of mind, as you are in Heaven, but if you find yourself in some contradiction, you lose your place immediately and go down to hell - you become dissatisfied, sour and say: “Everything is lost!” It doesn’t pass and one day, you find yourself with one light idea and come back to Heaven again. Man constantly goes up, and then goes down. The angels from hell, when they see you among themselves, catch you as an apple and say: “We don’t need this apple here” – and they throw you out. You have this experience. In one given moment you have a happy state; something from outside comes, it confuses your spirit and the whole of Heaven is destroyed for you – then you get out from your Heaven and get down in hell. After, a little something flashes in your mind and again you are in Heaven; if you doubt whether they will accept you in Heaven, or not, you go down to hell again – the Angels play with you, which shows that you are an inconstant man. They have to stop playing with you as with an apple.

If you understand the essence of this question, you will know that God is present in hell, and in Heaven. Then you will be in harmony with yourself and with others and will say: “Let the Will of God be!” Regardless of the situation you find yourself, there must not be a shadow of any fear in you. In the world there may be a number of perturbations, among the people there may be countless falls and getting up, but God always keeps the same relations to us and says: “I wrote you in my palm” – it shows that He always has us in His sight, He will never forget us. This thought has to remain in the minds of everybody not only for encouragement, but as a great Truth. For these men who don’t want to go to hell and are afraid, I have the opinion that they are cowards. Somebody is afraid to go to hell because there is eternal fire; I ask, if he goes to Heaven, what he will do? In a way that now there are no candidates either for Heaven or hell. And I don’t want to send you either to Heaven, or hell, because I shall remain without disciples.

Therefore, all of you have to have strong, sober thought, which doesn’t weaken from anything. After the trials come, nobody will avoid them. If you believe in God, you will acquire everything; if you don’t believe, you will lose everything. But, the sense of Life remains in the eternal reaching of Love.

22nd July, 1931, 5a.m.

[A1]Whenever so many corrections are made in a text, it is important to check that the original meaning has not changed.

[A2]Unclear – maybe [in each situation] or [in this case]

[A3]Unclear – maybe [but on top of it all, you will deprive it] or [but above all, you will deprive it]

[A4]Unclear. [This friendship will sustain in the same way as the picture of one poor painter]

[A5][The Lord’s Prayer]

[A6][Our Father]

[A7]Unclear. [to how someone talks about Love, say that he/she had]

[A8]Unclear.

[A9]This should be revised.

[A10]You should consult a thesaurus to find the exact meaning of what you are trying to say, this could mean a few things.

[A11]Unclear what is meant, it could mean two different things. [doesn’t charge] or [is not worth]

[A12]Same as A6

[A13]

[A14]Consult a thesaurus for the correct meaning, maybe you want the word [intelligence]