The Unsuccessful Convention Attempt

The Unsuccessful Convention Attempt

Seeking to introduce his three disciples to the atmosphere of higher spirituality, Peter Dunov invited them for a special meeting in Varna. Their correspondence had prepared them for the convention and they knew that they would lay the foundation of a pious mission. The Spirit whose guidance Peter Dunov followed strictly chose the date April 6, 1900, when they were to come to "the complete agreement that God wants." In his letter to Dr. Mirkovich Dunov wrote: "It depends on your present attitude to the will of God. If you love Him with all your heart, surrender to His will and do everything that His Spirit demands, He, the Lord Jesus will welcome you to the home of His Kingdom where you will meet all His divine elects. In that sacred communion, you will enjoy the great peace in which all virtues reign." Each of the three disciples received a personal invitation: Penyu Kirov and Todor Stoimenov in Bourgas, and Dr. Mirkovich in Sliven. Kirov and Stoimenov did not hesitate for a second. Penyu Kirov replied: "Thank God that the time has come to begin His sacred Mission. It is my desire to work for the glory of God. I am preparing for the trip." However, the answer of Dr. Mirkovich, the founder of spiritism in Bulgaria, was less enthusiastic. He suggested that the convention be put off, if possible, "until the weather gets warmer".

The doctor's refusal to attend spoiled the "complete agreement" but Peter Dunov never commented on his decision because he had expected it. "I had taken everything into account right from the start and I would not have disturbed you but I decided to inform you and thus do my obligation, lest you should feel hurt. In many aspects you have not yet understood me right," he wrote to him. The doctor refused to attend the convention but the other two headed to Varna as agreed. Penyu Kirov arrived as early as the 30th of March. Until the coming of Peter Dunov, they exchanged letters and telegrams. Penyu was insistent, "looking forward to this day, long-awaited and hard-to-reach." The reason Dunov had not yet arrived were financial difficulties. Penyu realized that and offered kindly his help: "You are telling me about some minor obstacles. God will provide... I am sending you a ten-leva note..." The long-planned convention finally took place. On the 4th of May, Peter Dunov wrote to Dr. Mirkovich: "Around Easter, we were in Varna where we met our friends, had several gatherings, discussed many things and drew a conclusion. We would have been glad to have you with us but apparently such was the will of God."