Lectures to the Sisters

Lectures to the Sisters

Community life based on the principle of the fraternity was a major factor of the disciples' unity. The Master often explained the meaning of the words "brotherhood" and "sisterhood" because it was extremely important for the disciples to understand them correctly. "The words 'brother' and 'sister' are Divine notions, much greater than those we can grasp and understand." "The brother and the sister are the two foundations on which human life stands. If a sister knows what sisterhood is about, she will always be happy." On the 17th of February 1917, the Master began a special series of lectures. They were only for the sisters, i.e. the wives, the mothers, the teachers, all those women who carried a potential for a positive impact on society. It is no coincidence that for the first lecture he chose a line from James: "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him" (fas 1:12) To perform her role, a woman must be strong and withstanding. Nature has entrusted women with an important mission: to create and raise good and capable children. This is why the Master taught health, spiritual purity and richness of the soul to the sisters. He advised them to seek to achieve virtues that would make them rich, learned and beautiful. He suggested that they teach good and preach peace and that they themselves live in peace, love, equity, wisdom, and truth. "Do not put off the good! A good thought will attract all good thoughts and they will help do good deeds." "A woman who has thousands of good words to say will be good for her country, a good mother of good sons and smart daughters, and this country will flourish. I want you to think good, do good, and have good eyes! You will be falling and getting back on your feet but do not be afraid, you will learn! You will encounter great obstacles in life but you will gain new experience and a new way of life!" The Master wanted to teach the sisters to maintain good relationships. In his lectures, he encouraged them to make a conscious effort to maintain harmony between them, as without harmony the manifestation of the Spirit would be impossible. "I want you to help me clear any misunderstandings between you. You often squabble in your hearts and minds. You need not to. Tranquilize your thoughts, extend your hands and work together! The good needs to be built. Otherwise, with your bad thoughts, you bring upon yourselves karma and illness."

The lectures were given to the sisters once a week, on Thursdays. The knowledge they conveyed was in the spirit of the New Teaching: the pursuit of self-perfection, the connection with the Divine Consciousness, and personal spiritual elevation aimed at promoting universal human growth. It seems, however, that the audience had not quite understood the meaning of these lectures and failed to put them into practice. The Master said in his last lecture of this series, delivered on the 30th of June 1932: "The way you act now, you will soon grow old and what will be ahead of you? What will happen to you? You are disciples but you learn nothing. You are like the young who grow old, and I want you to be like the old who grows younger and like the young who learn. I can tell you: what you lack is love. I mean not physical love but the love that stands firm like a rock and endures all suffering with joy. Now you live like children: eating, drinking, sleeping, while you should be learning. You think you are involved in spiritual work but you fail to observe the most important rule: to live like Christ."

Master-60.jpg

After a lecture at Izgrev.