1931_10_18 The Relationship Between the Two Laws

Ani

The Relationship Between the Two Laws

Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.       You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Matthew 22:37, 39

I consider these two Laws as measures which have a certain relationship to one another. The English have a special expression for the second Commandment which I do not want to translate into Bulgarian. Why? When certain things are not translated, they are better perceived. For instance, at times the weather does not look as if it is turning bad, but by certain elements in it you perceive this fact and prepare yourself for it. Outside all seems well¾it is warm¾ but you know that it is going to turn bad. Therefore, without being warned that the weather will get worse or will improve, you know what it is going to be.  How do you know this? There are always certain external signs which suggest the trend of events. You can tell what the weather will be by the sunrise or the sunset, by the winds, the clouds, etc. By means of certain signs, some animals know what the weather will be as well, though they stand on a much lower level of development than man does.

This is why I say that man should think of himself as knowing nothing. Man knows a lot. When we say that man knows many or few things¾this is in relation to the other beings. Man knows more in relation to the inferior beings, but he knows less in relation to the superior ones. Therefore, if he compares himself to beings inferior to himself, he knows much; but if he compares himself to beings superior to himself, he knows little. For instance, the earth is smaller in relation to the sun, but larger in relation to the moon. The same can be said in relation to the other planets: to some the earth is smaller, and to some¾larger.

Many people think that the earth was made for them and say, “The earth was created for man, Heaven was created for the other Beings. This may or may not be true. Whether this is true is a question of philosophy which has not yet been resolved. What arguments can be given as proof of the first assertion? There exists yet another assertion according to which both the earth and Heaven were created for man. This assertion needs proving as well. However, all the arguments and proofs which people give for both of these assertions are human, and human proofs are of no value to the more advanced Beings. They even have no value for man as a whole, but for just a certain category of human beings.

It is said in the Scriptures, “And God created Heaven and earth.” For whom? For people. However, in life we see that people are more interested in the earth than in Heaven. This only shows that the earth was created for them. And so, when they come across some great contradiction, they begin to think about Heaven. As soon as one finds himself in a difficult situation or contradiction, he begins to think rightly.

I shall tell you an anecdote from school life. An inspector once started on a tour of Bulgaria to appraise the teachers in some of his districts. He entered an elementary school and said to one of the students,  “Stoyan, write a number with two digits.” Stoyan thought for a minute and then wrote the number “75”. The inspector said to him, “You could have written the number “57” and still you would have a number with two digits.” Stoyan wondered why the inspector changed his number and what he meant by that. “Now, write another number.” Stoyan thought for a while and wrote the number “73”. The inspector said to him, “You could have written “37” and again you would have a number of two digits.” Stoyan looked at the numbers, thinking and wondering why this inspector was changing his numbers and what he meant by that. “Write one more two-digit number,” said the inspector to Stoyan. This time the boy thought for a moment and wrote the number “66”. The inspector looked at him and smiled, but did not say anything to him. In this case, both the inspector and Stoyan were thinking the same thing: whichever way you might turn the number “66”, it remains the same. After thinking for a while, Stoyan mustered his courage and said to the inspector, “Sir, I noticed a law here.” “What is this law?” “When the numbers end with a small number, inversely written, the number is smaller than the one originally given. For instance, the number “75” taken inversely, becomes “57”. However, when a number ends with a larger number, the opposite is true. For instance, the number “27” becomes “72”. Yet, there are certain numbers, which no matter how we turn them, do not change, but remain the same. Such are the numbers: 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, etc.” Stoyan returned to his place, but he was content because he had learned something new.

I say that there are cases in life in which people think differently about the same thing. There are also cases in which they think alike, no matter how much they may wish to think differently. For instance, people can not think the same way about the number “57”. Why? Because this number can be turned into “75”. When we come to the practical side of the question, 75 leva is more than 57, even though the two numbers contain the same digits This difference in the value of numbers causes a difference in thought to arise in people. However, if the numbers 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, etc. are considered, people begin to think in the same way. No matter how you might turn these numbers, they remain the same. Similarly, there are situations in life which show how one should stop before them in order to explain them to himself. Why do people think differently about questions upon which there should be a unity of thought? The difference of opinions in such cases shows that men are in contradiction with Nature, in contradiction with the Primary Principle. However, there are situations in life in which people cannot be in contradiction with Nature, with the Primary Principle. No matter how they might turn and consider a question, they all will think in the same way.

It is sayd in the Scriptures, “Love your enemies.” Today all are asking whether it is possible to love your enemies: that is to say, people who have done you much harm and caused you a great deal of suffering. Reasoning in this way, we see how people kill one another, steal, use violence against other people, and excuse themselves, saying  that they do this to them because they are their enemies, and since they are their enemies, there is no other way to act. I say: imagine that you and your enemy are balancing on the two ends of a beam supported only in its center and you must maintain equilibrium, because beneath you there is a great chasm. What would you do in this case? If one of you should say that he does not want to sit with his enemy and gets off the beam, both will fall into the chasm. What should they do then? They should become reconciled. The happiness¾the balance¾of the one depends upon the prudence of the other. Both must keep their places at the ends of the beam to maintain the balance until the conditions of life change. As soon as people realize that they are necessary to one another, the conditions of their life will improve and they will be enemies no longer. This is the reason which impelled Christ to say: Love your enemies.

Thus, loving one’s enemy is an absolute Law which every one must apply absolutely in his life. You are on the same beam with your enemy, and your life depends upon him. Should he get off of the beam, you will go down with him as well. Then you will say, "Let him sit on one end and I on the other, and we shall spend our time well. I do not want either of us to move from his place, because I value my life.” You may say, “Can not some one else take the place of my enemy?” That cannot be. The least motion that either of you makes will be fatal to both of you: to move will worsen the situation.

Thus when you have dealings with a man you do not love, you must think about why Providence has put you in contact with that (person. There are profound reasons for this. Whether you know them or not is a different question. If you can comprehend rightly the reason, you will uplift yourself, but if you cannot comprehend the reason, your condition will grow more and more complicated, and as a result, you will become embittered which will poison and destroy your organism. Since Providence has put you in contact with a person whom you do not like, it has in mind a certain gain for you. You must endure this condition all the more, since you know that in this world nothing is forever. In addition to this, though a person is unpleasant to you he might be pleasant to others, but one’s personal love or hatred is not a general law for all beings. You do not like someone, but God loves him. What should you do then? Suppose that you meet a person who leads a pure, saintly life and prays several times a day, but in spite of all this he suffers, becomes ill and no one gives him anything. You meet a sinner, on the other hand, who gets on well in life: his wife and children are healthy; he has a house, money, fields, vineyards. Apparently, the former seems deserted by Providence, while the latter is favored by it. What would you say to that? You might say that this is not just, that there is no justice in the world etc. Whatever you might say would merely be your own assertion, but whether it is true is another question. However, it is a fact that in this case Providence is being benevolent towards the sinner. Why and for what reason¾you do not know.   

Once a man come to me and said, “You are an intelligent, spiritually advanced man, but why do you waste your time lecturing to these people? You could be a rich man with the knowledge you have. Do you want to become rich?” “If my wealth will (would) draw me away from God, I do not want to become rich.” “Do you want to become poor?” “If poverty draws me away from God, I do not want to become poor as well.”  “Then what do you want?” “I want such a wealth, or such a poverty which will not draw me away from God, but which will rather give me a full possibility (opportunity) to serve Him. If wealth or poverty makes life lose its sense for me, I do not want (either of) them. However, if they draw me nearer to God and make my life meaningful, they are welcome.” You say: but how shall we solve this problem, shall we be rich or poor? I say: you will be both rich and poor at the same time. How is this possible? - You are satiated - that is being rich; you are hungry - that is being poor. This is one of the interpretations of wealth and poverty. Thus the poor man can become (feels) rich when he satisfies his hunger, and the rich (man) can become (feels) poor when he is hungry. This change in the states of man is necessary in the process of his development. Only in this way can man be perfected.

Some say it is good to live, but not (good) to grow old. Old age frightens us. What do you want to be: young or old? - Young, of course. This depends upon you. I shall illustrate the young and the old (man) in life. The young man does not carry anything on his back. He goes out of his house happy, lighthearted, tilts his cap and does not care about anything. The old man, on the other hand, put a whole market on his back; tired, sweating, humped, he is at the verge of his strength and murmurs, “My bones all broken!” I say: all men today are prematurely old because of the great, unbearable load they are carrying on their back. They sit and think what will become of them, of their wives and children; what will become of their lands and houses; how (will) they make both ends meet etc (and so on). This is a great load and (the time comes when) they can not bear it any longer. They must take part of it off their back. You see an old man pressing his white beard with a worried look in his eyes saying: My work is finished beard, he recognizes that he got old, grayer and things that everything is over). I do not know what to do anymore. I say: Throw the load off your back and become young! By becoming young, I mean that a man should take off his back all the unnecessary load and keep only that which is most necessary and indispensable. How much is necessary for man? When someone comes to me, he takes all he needs, but he wants to put something in his bag as well to keep in store. No, whoever comes to me can take as much as he can eat at one time, but I do not give anything for his bag. As soon as you are satisfied, and something remains which you can not eat, it is better to throw it away than to put it in your bag and carry a load.

(Today) Contemporary people require (demand) much (have great expectations). They expect of nature (Nature) not only to feed them, to give them a feast, but also to fill up their barns. However, nature never does that. In what barn can she store up the air, the light and heat (warmth)? She gives everything freely and says: Take as much as you need. You say: If we do not store up the bounties of Nature, everything will be spoiled and wasted. Do not worry, nothing will be spoiled or wasted. Nature takes good care of her wealth. She has at her disposal barns where she stores up the superfluity of her riches. Whoever needs something should go to her barns and take whatever he needs and as much as he needs. Nature has solved the problem of food, but men have not solved it (as) yet. The whole life of man, from his birth to the grave (his departure from the world), is centered around the question of food - what to eat and how to obtain a larger quantity of food. This is the most important (of all) economic problems offered for a solution in the Chambers of Commerce (and) in the diplomatic and commercial societies as well. Today every nation thinks only about bread, i.e. (or) about the land which yields bread. Human relations are formed and broken up always because (over) of the question of bread, of wealth and material superiority. This is due to a lack of comprehension of the deep meaning of life. Today there is so much bread in the world that all the people on this globe could spend four or five years in a jubilee, without working, but simply eating and drinking as much as they want (to); clothing themselves and organizing their life without doing any work. After these years are over and this abundance begins to diminish, they can (could) begin to work again.

The Invisible World makes (determines) each year a budget for the (all) people, as well as for all (other) living beings on the earth. Someone says: we support (owe) our life because (to the work) of the farmers. Another man says: You will have (get) bread, because I plowed the earth. But neither one is saying the truth (what is true). It is true that we must value the collective work of people, but let us not forget a number of other factors as well, which have taken (their) part in this work. Thank those two comrades - the oxen, which have participated in the work along with man; thank the thousands of worms which constantly ploy the earth and thus contribute to the collective work; and finally, do not forget the air, the moisture, the light and heat (warmth) which are some of the main factors for  (contributing to) the welfare of man. Many forget the participation of these factors in their work and say: I did this thing, hence it is my private property, my personal possession.

It is said, “Freely ye receive, freely give!” In the (his) book “The Way of Life”, Tolstoy has collected great thoughts of different authors and at the end of each thought he has given the name of the author. After (Under) his own thoughts he has signed his own name. This shows that he respects and acknowledges the collective work. Some authors, however, use the thoughts of others as their own. (Yet) However, it is important for people to utilize the good thoughts (of them) and to apply them to life. You say: But that is plagiarism. I say: If I am a rich man and people rob me and store up my wealth in their own store-houses to keep for themselves, I shall say: these are people who neither think nor act right. There is a law in nature which allows us to take as much of its wealth as we need. The superfluity must only pass through us as through a passage and be passed on to others, but we should not retain anything for ourselves (without being retained). If we act according to this law, Nature says: these children are prudent. But if we make barns (only) for ourselves (alone) and fill them up with (the) bounties of Nature, She says: These children are foolish.

Thus, man must solve two important problems in his life, which represent the beginning and the end, the alpha and omega of his (existence) life. First of all, man must have a definite attitude towards the Primary Principle, which idea is expressed in the first commandment, “Love thy God!” After that he must define his attitude toward his neighbor, as expressed in the commandment, “Love thy neighbor as thyself!” These two commandments are the beginning and the and of life. Joys and sorrows in life spring (originate) from the regard or disregard of these two laws. Sufferings in life are necessary, because they moisten the ground. All the blessings in life (all the bounties on earth) come because of the fact that men suffer. Sufferings are the moisture of the earth. If there were no sufferings, there would be no material blessings (bounties), or (and as a result) there would be no moisture. Thus, without suffering there would be no moisture, there will be no water on the earth. Joys are just as necessary as sufferings. If there were no joys, there would be no light and warmth.

As I explain the inner sense of sufferings and joys in life, I want you to understand me correctly. These are not my own affirmations, but they represent a great law which is equally valid for all beings - from the smallest to the greatest. There is no being on the earth, however small or great, which does not feel joys and sorrows. At the present development of all beings, this law is inevitable.

It is said in the Scriptures that God is long-suffering (long-patient). Long-suffering has no sense, if there is no sorrow. In every soul (there) are deposited riches, great wealth (capital), which it (one) must cultivate. Man is also given liberty to work as he thinks best (according to his understanding). God has the patience to wait for the souls (who) came out of (left) Him until they (to) return to Him (again) with developed gifts and talents (properly used capital). He sees the great contradictions in the life of people. He sees their disregard and disobedience of the great laws of life, but He studies them and seeks a natural way to bring them to the consciousness of what they should do. If it is a question of violence, the Great Nature can easily reconstruct (make) the world better. If the sun stops shining, the temperature of the earth will drop very low, to 200-250o below zero, and even lower - to the absolute point of freezing. Under these conditions, all the contradictions among people would disappear. No culture, no life could exist in such (a) temperature. Everyone will (would) remain where he is (has been) with all his riches, estates (wealth, possessions, houses) etc. If you enter such a world you will find everyone in the place where he had been before (the catastrophe), men, women, and children (frozen) all stiff from the cold, sitting and contemplating (on) what God wants to tell them. However, the moment the temperature rises again) and the weather becomes warmer, (they) all begin to move and say: - God thinks differently from us, but we also differ from Him. And then all begin to live (resume life) according to their old convictions (conceptions). This shows that the world can not be set right by means of violence.

Christ taught that he who has two shirts should give the one to him who has none. I ask you: what percentage of contemporary Christians have applied Christ’s Teaching? Many charitable societies and organization are trying to apply Christ’s Teaching, but they work according to the letter of the law and not according to the Spirit. For instance, someone reads the New Testament and makes up his mind (decides) to apply some of its teachings (it). He takes one of his old shirts and gives it to a beggar. The beggar looks at it, throws it away and says, “ If you want to fulfil Christ’s Teaching, give me a new shirt. I do not want your old shirt, keep it for yourself.” “But I have no other.” “Then (it is) better not (to) give me any. Do you know who I am?” You say, “How must one act when he does not have enough for himself?” One must give that which is superfluous. If he has two new shirts, he must retain the one and give the other to his poor brother. The superfluity belongs to Nature, which (and She) disposes of it. Or in other words: the superfluous belongs to God. That is the reason why when a person asks you for something he says,  “Give me, for God’s sake.” Therefore, the cause for wealth and poverty in life is the regard or disregard of the law of giving. He who gives becomes rich; he who does not give, becomes poor. Many statistics made by people for (compiled by scientists on) the number of the rich and poor and the causes why some are rich and others poor, confirm this law. When a man denies the law of giving and does not give anyone anything, all become inimically disposed toward him (everything goes against him). When a man violates this law, all people to whom he could give something, form together an opposing force, which hinders his progress in his work (in his enterprises) and he (himself) gradually becomes poor. In the Divine language the words, “I cannot, I do not give”, do not exist. There exist only the words, “I can, I give”. The Divine ceaselessly gives, but the human does not give. The words “I cannot, I do not give” (you hear only) in the human language.

Thus, the first commandment is to love God (the lord, your God), then you fulfil this commandment (and) you will learn the beginning of all things. This Law functions in (at, from) the creation of man. The second commandment is to love your neighbor. According to these laws, in the distribution of labor, the man studies the law of creation, while the woman studies the law of preserving that which is created. One must love God, because without Him he cannot learn the law of creation. At the same time he must love his neighbor, because the latter is warmth and light for him. If you do good to your neighbor, sometime in the future, he will play in your life the role of light and heat (warmth), without which your growth is unthinkable. You say: How can we know that? Man knows everything, but he does not fulfil that which he knows. For instance, someone says, “I do not know how to act (how to interact) with this man.” How strange! He does not know how to treat a person (others), but he knows very well how the others must (they should) treat him. As soon as he sees that someone is not acting with (toward) him as he should, he immediately begins to instruct him (as to) what is moral and what is not moral (tell him what is correct and what is not). The relations (relationships) among people are the same as the relations (relationship) among the numbers and quantities in mathematics and geometry. For instance, if a term in (a ratio) (an equation) is unknown it can be found out by means of the given terms. Otherwise the given (known) terms in the ratio (equation) would be of no significance. The same thing applies to music.

In regard to music I say: life can be harmonious, musical, but at the same time (again) it can be inharmonious and not musical. Men’s (In this case, it is the) problem (task of man) is to turn (transform) the inharmonious life into a harmonious, musical one. Some may say that this depends upon the nation, the church, society, the (moral) morality of the times (contemporary moral norms) etc. Let us live aside all this things. The nation, religion, society, morals, are all external conditions for man. Man has existed before the nation, before religion and society and before all morals. Human consciousness has existed before the creation of all these things. Man was not created for them, but they were created for his development and self-perfection (progress). Therefore, since (the) nations, religion, society and (the) morality (morals) came into existence as (a) condition(s)  (for) necessary to the development of man, he must respect (guard) them. There are people who can rule (is someone who can bring) the nation into order) the nation, who can ameliorate (improve) religion, educate society and sustain morality. The problem of man is to work toward his perfection. By working for his self-perfection, he works for all (the) other people, also. This does not mean that man should be indifferent towards everything around him, but first of all, he must determine his relation to God and his neighbor.

Now when I speak about the nation, I have in view a better and more organized nation then those in existence. Such a nation exists only in the Living Nature. All nations present and future (of today and in the future) must copy their laws and order from this great and unique nation. This (Living Nature) is the real, rightly governed nation. He who wants to develop in the right way must support in his mind the idea that there is one right nation (nation of justice and law)- the nation of the great, wise (Intelligent) Nature. This idea should be an axiom for him. If one lives according to the laws of this (ideal) nation, he will attain and realize all his desires. Therefore, one nation, one religion, one moral(ity) exists in the world, common to all living beings - from the smallest (least) to the greatest.

According to the law of this Nation, the life of the ant is as valuable as that of man. You will make way for it to pass just as you would do for a man. If you treat (step) upon an ant, stronger beings than you will treat upon you. If you break a branch passing by a tree, no one may see you and the tree itself may not complain, but tomorrow stronger man will come and injure you (brake something from you). If you pass by a pure wellspring do not muddle (muddy) its water, consider it is a living being. You may say: but is it possible for the wellspring to be alive? I ask you: when you enter a lighted house and find the hearth (stove) burning and a kettle boiling over it, what does that show? It shows that a living being inhabits this house who has lighted the lamps, started the fire and cleaned everything. If you put out the light and the fire in this house and do some other mischief, (in this way) you do harm to the intelligent being living there.

(Similarly) Thus, all living beings which (whom) we see around us (surrounding us) have a relation to the great wisdom (Great intelligence) in life. At the same time they have a relation to all men. For example, the statistics show that the welfare of a country depends upon the condition of its forests. The more protected the forests, the greater the welfare of that country. (Therefore) So the forests and the fruit-trees must be guarded well and not cut. If they are cut at random, that will have a negative effect upon the people. Therefore man must acquire a right relation to all living beings: plants, animals, and people. You (may) meet a person who is unpleasant to you; yet in spite of that, you must say: the Divine breath is also in that man. If you meet a bear you can converse with it as with a man. This may seem funny to you, but many people who have had encounters with animals have come to the conclusion that the animals manifest a certain intelligence, that they are grateful in a way for the good done to them. A good example from the time of the Roman Empire confirms the fact that animals are grateful. In those days, a Christian man who was persecuted for being a Christian escaped to Africa and hid himself in a cave. One day he heard a roar nearby and looking out he saw a lion roaring with a paw raised in the air. (He approached) Upon a closer scrutiny of the paw, the man saw a big thorn stuck into it. (He approached) Touching the lion paw in his hands (and) he carefully pulled out the thorn and after that put some oil on the wounded place in the paw. After the small operation was finished, the lion looked at the Christian man and went away. In time the man returned to Rome where he was captured and sentenced to death - to be devoured by the fiercest lions. It happened at the same time that the lion he had healed was caught and taken to Rome. The day, upon which the Christian man should be devoured, the same lion was ushered into the arena. When he saw his savior, the lion sat by (crouched at) his feet and started (began) to lick his hands. In this way he wanted to express his gratitude to the Christian man. All the people who were present were amazed at that sight on the arena.

I say: if there is gratitude in a lion, how much more gratitude must a man feel! Someone says, “What of it that I have done a good deed?” It is a great thing to do a good deed in the right way. The good deed is the capital which a man deposits in the Divine Bank. God remembers for twenty five thousands years the good a man has done. Wherever He meets that man, He says: This man is good; he deserves the bounties of life and success in his work. God remembers the evil that a man does only for a hundred years. During these hundred years the man who has done evil feels the weight of its burden. Therefore, if you want to receive God’s Blessing, do good. You may doubt whether this is true or not - that is your own business. This, however, is an axiom for me. If I had more time at my disposal, I might prove my statement. I have arguments that will make every one agree with me.

I ask a student, "Can you lift a pound (kilogram) of weight off the earth?" "Of course, I can." How much is a pound (kilogram)? Even the children can lift it. - But if this pound (kilogram) is heated up to 2000 degree Celsius? (Then) There will be around it a circle near which you will not be able to come. (Therefore) There are thoughts in the world which represent (just) such a center of heat which you can never approach. Such thoughts have (an influence) a more destructive than beneficial (influence). That is why one must hold in his  mind constructive thoughts. All right thoughts are of this kind (constructive). For instance, it is a right thought that you must determine your relation to God and then toward your neighbor. That is why it says in the Scripture: Love the Lord thy God! And then it says: Love thy neighbor as thyself! Today these two commandments must be scientifically explained. They must not be examined, as we do today, in the consciousness of people, because in the consciousness of all men today is an darkness (They should not be considered the way they are in the human consciousness of today because the consciousness of the contemporary people contains some internal darkness).

You ask why there is suffering in the world. In order to clarify (answer this question) this idea, I shall use an illustration (I will use the following example). Once a nice white hen, which had managed to escape from its rich master, came to the house of a saint. When (he saw it) the saint saw the white hen, he decided to keep it, not willing (wanting) to sell it, because (then) it would be killed. However, in order to conceal it from its master, the saint dyed its feathers. As soon as the hen saw its colored feathers, it began to weep and said to the saint, "Why did you stain my lovely white dress?" The saint answered it, "There is nothing wrong in that. The color of you dress has a relation to the external side of your life (to do only with the outside of you). I dyed you out of necessity, for someone would have caught you and kill you with your nice white dress." I say: If suffering can dye you and in this way liberate (save) you from death, are they not in their right place? As soon as death passes away, you will throw off your dyed feathers and remain (be) again with (in) your white dress. Today all men complain of being stained. I ask: which worker does not get stained? The question is not in that a man is stained, but whether there is prudence (wisdom) in that staining. It is a blessing to become stained consciously and intelligently, otherwise, it is a misfortune. Becoming stained is (an) inevitable (under the) law. Since you know this, do not look for a life that you can not find.

Someone says, "I want to be rich." You can be rich. "I want to be learned." You can be learned. "I want to be healthy." You can be healthy. "I want to be wise." You can be wise. How can I obtain these things? That is the difficult (essential) question! All men cannot be rich. All men cannot possess great capital (wealth). Is it just that Providence should take care only of your budget? If everyone thinks only of himself, then what is the problem (task, role) of the believing men, of the religious men? They preach that man must be saved in order to enter the Kingdom of God. However, the salvation of man is not the main purpose of his life. The purpose of man's life is self-perfection (advancement). When man works for his self-perfection, he becomes a servant (ready to serve). How many servants are there in the world? The earth must be full of such a men. If there were 144,000 men in Bulgaria who have completed their development it would be one of the leading countries in the world. How many such Bulgarians are there today? And if there were such Bulgarians, how could they become known (they be recognized)? It says in the Scripture: By their fruit ye shall know them. There are a few millionaires in Bulgaria, but there are no milliarders. In America, however, there are milliarders who can help others. Since there are no great capitals (fortunes) in Bulgaria, where must it direct its forces? When we speak about the wealth of a nation, we must have in view the direction of the forces functioning within it. If these forces are directed toward the Divine Organism, this nation will be rich and will develop normally. No matter how small a nation may be, it represents an organ in the Divine organism. Its significance depends upon the functions which it performs within this organism. Then, if a nation fulfils its service rightly, it must fear nothing. If the nations were conscious (recognized this fact) of this fact, they would be working according to the laws of Creation, while Creation would be working for them. However, all contemporary nations denied the laws of Creation, as a result of which they lost its protection. The Jews, for example, had 33,000 promises by God, but they understood them wrongly. They wanted to be first in the world. They could have been first, but in what? - First in Love, in Knowledge and Wisdom, first in Truth, first in liberty (Freedom). In reality, the Jews were none of these things. Only the free man is strong; only the man who does not die is strong. If you die, you are not strong, i.e. your strength is relative. A strong man is only he who has conquered his last enemy - death.

Someone says, "One cannot but submit to that which is powerful (One cannot do anything but succumb before force)." A proverb says: The sword does not cut a bent neck. In spite of this reasoning, I see the same man who believed it, lying beheaded in the cemetery. And then people come to console that man. The real consolation lies in this - not to be trodden upon by death. The real consolation lies in that - to be a friend of life, a friend of knowledge, a friend of truth and freedom, a friend of all (the) virtues, and a friend of all the good and wise people. How can men console me when death has deprived me of my brain and eyes? How can men console me when death has amputated my hands and feet? After all that, you will say that God has ordered this, that it is His Will and so on.  Do not speak this way. (It is we who) We have created this order, not God. If all this is His deed, why has He given Moses the commandment: Do not kill! The successors of Moses changed this law. They ordered that everyone who breaks the law of the Sabbath should be killed. Where is the unity of the law? God tells us not to kill, but the civil law says that everyone who breaks the law of the Sabbath must be killed. Some man has gathered a few dry sticks on the Sabbath and immediately he is punished for breaking the law of the Sabbath. This is an application of the letter of the law (of the law by letter). The dry sticks, according to the spirit (in essence), mean something entirely different. They are an expression of the evil in man. That is why it says in the Law of Moses: Do not commit evil on the Sabbath day!

Now let us put this question aside. When the superconsciousness (higher consciousness) in people awakens, they will understand why they have been killed for gathering sticks on the Sabbath day.

When does man die? When the plants in his organism wither; when the wheat in him withers; man dies when the wellsprings in him dry up and when all his moisture evaporates (disappears). Thus, the dry sticks are within man and not outside of him. When all the virtues, all the light (sublime, noble) thoughts, all the light feelings and sublime actions wither up, he comes under the law of karma, i.e. the law of cause and effect and he is already destined for the place where the crucifixion is expecting (awaiting) him. There he will be executed, but he will be all alone. He will look right and left for those who defended him, but none of them will be there. Why? - Because he denied those who sustained his life. Then death will impose itself upon him. This is what Moses had wanted to say by (in) the words: Do not gather dry sticks on the Sabbath day when God is resting. Do you know what the Rest of God means?

Today people believe more in falsehood than in the truth. For thousands of years people have used falsehood and still believe in it. Some years ago there was a Bulgarian man, from one of the villages of Varna, by the name of Noytcho, who was a good man, but had a strong imagination. Because of that, he often gathered people together in the taverns and spoke (told) to them how to buy farms, fields, vineyards, sheep and cattle and become rich like Job. One Sunday many peasants were gathered together in the tavern and he told them that he knew where great pots of gold lay buried, since the times of the Roman Empire. "Is that so?," asked the men (villagers). "Can you show us the place of that gold?" "Of course, I can. "And he described to them exactly the place of the buried gold. Noytcho, in reality, did not know where they could discover any gold, (so) he (thus) lied to them. In the morning all the peasants (villagers) started with different tools for the place described and the priest went along with them, all thinking that they would find a thousand pounds (kilograms) of gold. When Noytcho saw the preparation for the expedition, he said, "And what if they really find buried gold there? Let me start with them also." Thus he believed in his own lie. This is true - when one speaks to people about gaining money, although as a lie, they believe him.

I shall give you one more example by which you can see the credulity (gullibility) of people. A man comes to you and says, "You believe in God and say that He cares for people and foresees all their needs. How can His care find a concrete expression?" "Go and by a lottery ticket, you may gain something. A certain man has bought a ticket and got a million marks." "Is that so? Then I also shall buy a ticket. I may get something also."

A million marks is thirty million leva - this is not a small sum (amount of money). Here we see the imagination at work. However, tell the same man that he can inherit the Kingdom of God and he will consider that as something unattainable. (If) When he gains a million marks, he can buy bread, clothes and shoes - all that he wishes (desires). He considers it impossible that if he believed in God, he would gain more than by any lottery. That is why many people say (declare) that they have become dull because of the many prayers they say (repeat). They says, "We pray for so many years, but as a result of that we become poorer and duller from day to day, while other people work and gain money, piling up wealth."

The first law - Love of (toward) God - is the beginning of life. Man must begin his life with inner experiences. He must apply every new thought, in order to test and understand it. You say, "We know this." You know many things, but you have not attained immortality yet. You pray, but (and) your prayer is heard sometimes, not always (and not heard another time), until a day comes when you look in the mirror and find yourself old. Then comes death, takes all that you have and goes away. You remain with only a naked consciousness and (you) regret that you have not solved the most important question - the question of immortality. This question must be solved while you are still on earth. You say, "When Christ comes then we shall (will) solve it." Christ has already come and is asking you: what are you still thinking? I say: you must solve the question as Christ has solved it - that is all. The solution of this question is in the New Testament. Christ said to the Jews, “Destroy this temple and I shall build it (up) in three days!” They began to dispute upon these words and said, "Solomon built this temple in so many years, but you say you can build it in three days. Who do you think you are?” The Jews consciously perverted the words of Christ. Christ was speaking about His body as the temple of God. At last they accused Christ for (of) calling Himself the Son of God and condemned Him to be crucified.

I ask you: Who is a Son of God? He who wants to become a king or a prime minister is not a Son of God. The Son of God does not hold any office. He does not become king, minister, professor, teacher, mother or father. Then what will the Son of God do? He shall (will) come on earth to help humanity by manifesting (, to help manifest) the Divine Love. Whatever wealth he has, He will give it to the people and return where he came from. Christ told the people of that (his) time to keep themselves from covetousness.

Now I tell you also to keep yourselves from covetousness, but you will learn the importance of this (for) yourselves (but even without me telling you, you will learn by yourselves). The best method (used by) the teacher of the old Bulgarian schools (used) in the education of children was the stick - whipping of the legs. However, the Bulgarian man is practical. When the teacher saw that this method did not produce any good results, he said: We shall sooner cripple the children this way than educate them. He sought for another method. When a student did not study, or was naughty, he applied the following penalty: a student would put the lazy or naughty boy on his back and hold him by the legs, while the teacher spanked him with the stick. Afterward (Soon) the teachers were convinced that this also was an impractical method (did not work). After the whipping, the punished student was unable to sit, but he was still not educated. After that method, was applied (So then they tried) the method of slapping (on) the face. The naughty or lazy student was slapped on each side of the face, however (but) this method also did not give any positive results. The more education developed, the more the teachers realized that whipping cannot educate children and for that reason they gave it up as an educational method. In consequence (Next) when a student did not study or was naughty, he was made to kneel, and sand or corn was placed under his knees. But later the teachers gave up that practice also. How far the present-day teachers have advanced in the education of children is not known to me, but it seems that the latest method they apply (used) in the schools is that of expelling the students with (for) bad conduct.

Now all men are seeking the easy way in life. However we must (have to) know that all people have to (everyone must) study the great Science of Life by means of which we can come to the causes of things. For instance, if someone suffers (naturally) from pains in the legs, he must know that the cause of these pains lies in his virtues, which are connected with the legs and feet. Thus, when the teachers whip the legs and hands, or slap the face of the student, they must know that neither the legs and (nor) hands of the student, nor his face, are the cause of his mistakes. How can they (these things) be guilty for (of) the laziness or misbehavior of the student? Why have the teachers acted in this way with their students? That was their understanding at the time. These are materialistic methods which rest upon lovelessness (lack of love). If the teacher loves his student, even if the latter (this student) is the most incapable one, he can by an inner way arouse (awaken) in him an impulse for work. If the teacher is indifferent toward the poor student, that attitude (also) will have a (be) reflection (reflected) upon the student (in him).  On the whole, if the teacher loves his students he will arouse (awaken) in them a desire (impulse) for work. The mother supplies the child with physical food, while the teacher nourishes him intellectually.

Thus, man must apply in his life the two great laws; love of  (toward) God and love of his neighbor. I want to bring down from heaven these two laws that they might (may) be comprehended and applied on earth, (for) every law is true in its application. Consequently, the first law - love of (toward) God - represents the man; the second law - love of the neighbor - represents the woman. The man must work with the first law, (while) the woman with the second. But the real man (human being) must work with both laws. He who has the form of man (will) should apply the first law; he who has the form of woman will apply the second law; he who has the consciousness of the real human being who neither marries nor is given to marriage, he will apply both laws at the same time. Wherein is (lies) the application of this two laws today? Why has the man who deal with the first law and thinks he is almighty and can introduce (bring) order in the world, has not done that yet? Up to this day, the man has applied all his energy in conquering the woman and in convincing her that having come out of him she cannot do anything alone (by herself). I ask you: has the man succeeded in convincing the woman in (of) the truth of this idea?

Now I observe the history of human development, I see everywhere a disregard of these two laws. However, there exists an important law which everyone must keep in mind. (According to this law) It states that when a woman loves a man she has the power to raise him higher. However, if she hates a man, he will end his life fatally (tragically (?). A number of statistics in America show that all those ministers who have good wives are known as popular and eminent persons. Why? Because their wives love them and share their views. And inversely: all the wives of ministers who have not loved their husbands and have not shared their ideas have in a way caused their failure. Thus, the woman is in a position to raise her husband or to be the cause of his failure. Not only that, but the second law - love of your neighbor, which has to do with the woman, is the law which creates the institutions and the social order. Therefore, the whole present order of life in all its departments is due to this humiliated woman. Then what must be the goal of contemporary society as well as of all nations? - To raise the woman. Raise the woman to the position she (has) originally been (stood) and you will see that in the course of twenty five years the world will be set right. The salvation of the world lies in the uplifting of the woman. If you do not uplift her and if she does not raise herself, salvation cannot come from any other place (nowhere else).

Thus, when we speak about Love as a great powerful force, we believe that it alone is (cap)able to (of) raise (raising) those humiliated, bereaved, sorrowful and fallen, sinful souls who are at the bottom of hell. Hell is full of women. You ask whether this idea should be understood literally or not. Accept it as you wish (will) - both literally and (or) symbolically. The woman today is humiliated and downtrodden (suppressed). By whom? By the powerful. What does it cost (to) the woman of today, as well as to all people, to begin to work for the uplifting of the woman? If the woman be not raised (is not lifted up) all the means and methods used for the rectification of humanity would be in (are) vain. For instance, you are well fed and think (feel as if) you will not need food anymore, but in four or five hours you become (are) hungry again. You drink water and think you will not be thirsty any more, but in a few hours you feel thirsty again.

When I speak about raising (uplifting) the woman, I want this idea to permeate life as a whole (the entire life). It must penetrate not only the human, but also the animal, vegetable and mineral life. This great law must also take full possession of the human heart. If man humiliates his heart, salvation cannot come. The salvation of contemporary humanity lies in the uplifting of the heart. If you humiliate yourself, you humiliate your heart. If you raise yourself, you raise your heart. This is a pedagogical rule for (practical) application. If pedagogy does not apply this rule, what science is it? And then men speak about eminent pedagogist (pedagogues).

(In) By saying this, I do not mean that there are no eminent people, scientists. There are scientists who are very erudite (but the point is not to stress on the knowledge of people - first we need to give a way to the Great Truth.)  But the main question is not to bring learning (learned men) to the forefront; we must, first of all, give way to (for) the great truth which brings salvation to the whole of humanity. I am speaking about Laws which exist in Nature. The purpose of rational (Intelligent) Nature is to arouse 9Awaken) in people the superconsciousness (to arouse the superconsciousness in mankind) by the application of its Laws on (upon) them. It is not sufficient (only) to pray to the saints, but they must come to earth to work for the uplifting of the woman. All the Angels, all the saints, all the advanced Beings have for a purpose (are dedicated to) the uplifting of the woman. Many people today seem to be opposed to this great purpose and say, "Do you know what the woman is like? She is like a snake! Only he who has been bitten by her knows what she really is!" When you say that the woman is evil, I ask you: who is not born of woman? Was not the being that give you birth a woman? (The one who gave birth to you was a woman, was not she?) Was not your mother who bore you in her womb, who embraced you in her arms, who bore (carry) you within her mind and heart, a woman? Do not be hindered (do not dwell on the fact) by the fact that she is humiliated. Whatever she may be today, she is your mother. If you have a (woman) friend consider (look upon) her as if she were your mother. (Look upon) Consider your mother as if God is in her. Humanity must radically change its views concerning the woman, otherwise, the salvation of the world cannot be effected (will not come). Therefore, man must come to the first Law - to his attitude (relation) toward God, and then - to the second Law - to his attitude toward his neighbor, toward his heart. One must not burden his heart with unnecessary burdens and weep over nothing. It is good for man to weep sometimes, but on time (at the right time). It is good for man to rejoice, but again - on time (at the right time). Both sorrow and joy are blessings (a blessing). It is good to love on time (at the right time), to give your knowledge on time and to set men free on time.

I wish when I meet you again to see your hair darkened or if it is white, let it have a pure white color, but you should still be young. Let your faces be like those of the young people - without any wrinkles. If you have wrinkles, it shows that your heart is burdened. Be beautiful and young, with new ideas. Each morning as you get up, write in your mind the two great laws - Love of God and your neighbor. The application of these two great Laws in your life is the solution of many difficult problems. Those disciples of Christ who applied these Laws performed great miracles. Whoever among you applies these laws will see the results. However, before he has seen (any) results he should not say anything about his work. One must not speak about the great things in life. If you love God do not say that to anyone, because that is great. If you love your neighbor, if you love your heart, do not speak to anybody about it, because this is great.

Solomon has (once) said that the heart of man is perverted. He is relatively right, but not absolutely. The heart, i.e. (thus is) the woman is perverted, because she is humiliated, but this is a temporary condition. It is a different question why this is so. I consider the woman as a pole (polarity). When God originally created the woman, she was entirely different from present-day woman. There is a woman on (the) earth (The woman on earth today) who is like neither the one in heaven, nor (like) the one in paradise; but rather an echo, a reflection of the lofty (sublime) and noble woman. In this respect, love also is an external reflection of this noble woman. However, love is manifested only where the woman is. If the woman is absent in man (human life), love is absent also.

If men (people) know what the woman is and give her the place (and place her where she should be) she ought to have, the world would immediately will be uplifted. Today, the woman is regarded as a being who needs a man to take care of. I say: this is not a woman; this is rather an invalid in a hospital. According to me, a woman is that, that saves the world; a woman is one who holds the keys of life; a woman is one through whom is manifested the great power of love which bears life. Therefore, the salvation of the world will come through the woman, not through the man.

Now I wish you all to become women! This thought interpreted means that I wish the souls of all people to be filled with love; I wish all people to shine, to be lighted candles, happy and joyful, ready for all services. This is what it means to be a mother. In this sense, I wish all of you to be mothers. Today by the word "mother" is understood a woman who gives birth. A mother is only a woman whose children do not die. If the children of a woman die, she is not a mother. Mother is only the pure woman, the deva-virgin, who after giving birth remains virgin; this mother is that woman (deva) whose children do not die. Therefore, all people must be virgins (deva), absolutely pure, if they want to keep alive that to which they give birth. This is the meaning of the inner philosophy of life. If you can understand this philosophy, your life will become pleasant.

Thus, the first great law (commandment) is - to love God with the fullness of your heart, of your mind and of your strength. - The second Law is - to love your neighbor - in other words your deva, your heart, which you must strive to uplift. Be, therefore, workers for the uplifting of the woman, thence - workers for the future of the entire humanity.

Sunday lecture given by Beinsa Douno

on October 18, 1931,

in Izgrev, near Sofia, Bulgaria