Grain of Wheat

GRAIN OF WHEAT

“Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain

of wheat falls into the ground and dies,

it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain.”

John 12:24

The grain of wheat is a symbol of the human soul. It represents a great story in the development of Nature. If you could open Nature’s book on the grain of wheat and trace its history, you would completely understand the history of the human soul. As the grain of wheat falls into the soil and “dies,” as it sprouts up, grows and bears seed, the same is also true of the human soul.

Probably the grain of wheat is something very simple and of no value to you, its weight is only a sixteenth of a thousandth part of a kilogram. How much would it cost, if a kilogram of wheat costs one grosh[1]? However, the grain of wheat contains a power, a potential, and a spirit of selflessness by which it nourishes both itself and others. But when you sit down at the table to eat, you do not think at all about the grain of wheat; you do not consider what joy and what thoughts it imparts to you. You do not know its origin either. People do not value it; hens do not value it; no one values the grain of wheat. But it represents a great mystery in the world.

Now, what lies hidden in it? The grain of wheat is a symbol of Life. If we take the Bulgarian letter “ж” (zh), which is the first letter of the word “wheat” in Bulgarian[2], it fully corresponds to the grain of wheat, with two legs or roots below and two small branches above. When we sow it, it shows us the direction in which we have to strive. The grain of wheat tells us that we need to strive for the One Whom we have come from, God, and that in order to strive for God, we need to branch out, blossom, and bear food for the world. That is why Christ says, “Help and sacrifice yourselves for your fellowmen as I do.”[3]And at another place, “I am the Living Bread which came down from Heaven.”4 What is bread made of? It
is made mostly of wheat.

People of today say that their life is miserable. All are discontent, including kings and princes. From the highest to the lowest ones, all have some want, but when it is given to them, they are still discontent. Ask them why: it is because they seek more and more.

Let us go back to the story of the grain of wheat. What would you say if you were in its place, sown in the ground? You would say, “It is the end; I am decaying; my life is over!” There is more faith in the grain of wheat than in us. Buried in the ground, it begins to decay, becoming soft, but as soon as the first rays of the Sun appear, it immediately understands their language and says to itself, “I am not going to die, I will rise again and bear fruit for others.” It begins to generate inner energy and to strive toward the Sun. It bears fruit and ripens. Then people come to it; they use a sickle to cut it down. Its suffering does not end here; after reaping it, people bind it in sheaves, prick it with pitchforks and throw it into carts, so that they bring it to the threshing floor and settle it in piles as big as mountains. Then they trample it with horses and threshing-boards. What if you were in its place?

Human life passes through the same process. You ask, “Why should we pass through all this process?” You should draw a lesson from this example of the grain of wheat. After the threshing-board and the horses’ hooves have threshed it, people put it into the barn. Again, its suffering does not end there; the grains are sifted; the bad ones fall below and the good ones that remain are put into sacks and taken to the mill, where two heavy mill-stones grind them and crush them completely. If you were in the grain’s place, what would you say? “What a life, what a world has God created!” However, the grain of wheat has great patience. It says, “You will yet wonder what my story is.” When it is taken from the mill as flour and carried home, it is still not left at peace. The wife will roll up her sleeves, sift the flour, throw away some of it, put leaven in the good flour and turn it into dough. If you were in the grain’s place, you would say, “Our suffering is already over.” No! When the dough rises, it goes into the oven and when it is taken out, we see those nice, fresh-smelling loaves of bread. If you were in the grain’s place, you would say, “Our suffering is over at last.” However, after a short time, people break up these nice loaves and start eating them. In this way, the grain of wheat enters our stomachs, forming nutrients that enter our minds and what happens then? Great thoughts are created in our minds and new desires, in our hearts. The grain of wheat carries the garments that clothe our feelings. It flows in the pens of writers and poets and in the bows of violin players. That is what the grain of wheat can give us.

If it had not passed through the process of all this development, we would have never seen all the beautiful things in Nature. Why? It is because the grain of wheat gives us strength to look and see. That is why Christ says, “I am the Living Bread.”

In order to be alive, one needs to be in communion with the environment, integrating into it, helping others and being helped by them. As the grain of wheat passes through such a process, in the same way we should sacrifice ourselves. This sacrifice is not so difficult.

Now let us turn to Christ’s life story and to the history of the Jewish nation. How can we explain this contradiction: the nation awaiting for years its Savior and King to come and bring it freedom, at the time when He appeared, its elite, namely the Jewish high-priests and princes turned against Him? You may say that if Christ has come today, you would behave better. I doubt it. I am going to point out a fact: see how a husband treats his wife or a wife - her husband and you will have an idea about your attitude to Christ. When Truth will show up in the world, it will not be clothed richly but in the simplest garb. That is why Christ came among the Jewish nation in such a simple fashion. That is the reason why people cannot understand Truth. Such are the Laws of this world.

However, there is another Law in the world, which is revealed through the sunlight: When the Sun begins to shine on all seeds and beings on Earth, its light producing joy and gladness in some people, evokes hatred and spite in others. This same light that makes some people well-disposed causes others to be fierce and violent. The light and warmth will make a wolf begin looking for sheep to satisfy hunger. The same light and warmth falling on a thief will make him think about how to steal more money. And when the rays fall on those who want to do good, they will wonder whether they can find someone in need to render their help. Feed the hen with corn and it will have nice feathers; give such food to a swine and it will create strong bristles; give it to a wolf and it will make good teeth and nails; give it to a fish and it will produce nice scales. The physiologists cannot explain this process. Each being uses food and heat according to its development and understanding. You can comprehend this Law by experiencing these two different worlds.

It is not possible to explain to you why negative tendencies exist in human beings, why they prefer hatred to Love and falsehood to Truth. Many “why” questions will remain unanswered. The Bulgarian word “why”[5] is a question mark meaning “I want.” Why should we want? It is because there is a Law stating that we have to strive for advancement.

Christ says that if the grain of wheat, which has fallen to the ground does not “die,” it will remain alone in this world. What is loneliness in life? It is the greatest possible suffering that people could experience. Procreation is the purpose of Life. All suffering in the world comes from the fact that people desire to live for themselves only. Evil always emerges from the desire to be alone and to become the center of the world. However, this is impossible in the Divine Laws. Our thoughts and wishes fail because we construct them on sand. We can be happy in the world only if we live for God and we need to live for Him. We find the explanation of this in Nature. When the Sun rises in the morning, it rises for all because it loves all. It is considerate to all beings, from the lowest to the most advanced ones, and that is why all turn their eyes toward it. From there comes this energy that rises and uplifts us, but does the Sun say to us that we must grasp the meaning of this action? It tells us only to make use of the benefits it is giving and just as it illuminates the world, so should we shed light and enlighten those around us.

We have some false ideas in our minds that come from our individual lives. For example, if you enter a house that has a single window, but it is full of twenty to thirty visitors, you may tell them, “You have no right to stay by the window: I want to look through it alone!” However, while you are looking at the Sun, all others will be deprived of its light. Instead, you should better invite them all to see the Sun and show them the way out of the house in order to enjoy the light. That is why it is not good to keep many people around you, since they can never have the benefit of the sunlight and heat all at the same time. We would better tell them to go outside. That is why Jesus says that whoever loves only oneself needs to leave. In another place, He says, “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.”[6] Thus, if someone gets too close to the window, this person will block the whole view for the others. Keep a distance of twenty to thirty steps off. It is valid in the physical environment. Jesus implies that life does not consist of material benefits. These are only simple tools and aids in the same way textbooks, pens, and boards are to students. Do not think that God has prepared for you only these simple things. He has prepared much greater things.

Ask a frog about its idea of life and it will answer, “I would like more flies to fly over my pond and to fly nearer so that I could catch them.” When sometimes you see the frog sitting quietly like a philosopher, it is observing the flies in order to catch them when they come nearer. Such is the frog’s concept of life.

Advancing farther on the ladder of evolution, we should not think that we have already reached the climax of our development. There is still a lot to be covered on this staircase from our present position to the Path we are striving for. The distance between human beings and Angels is so great; it is almost the same as the distance between tadpoles from which frogs will develop and human beings. From the Angels’ point of view, we are still little frogs. Some people object, “But human beings are made in the image and likeness of God, are they not?” However, they have not attained this image and likeness up to now.

You see how we act. In order to say that we are made in the image and likeness of God, we need to possess the traits of God. What are His traits? They are Virtue, Love, Wisdom, and Truth. Virtue excludes malice, Love excludes hatred, Wisdom excludes nonsense, and Truth excludes falsehood. If all these negative tendencies are not part of us, we will have the likeness of God, but if they are yet a part of us, we are still little frogs.

I have nothing against frogs, they need to eat flies. Why? I will tell you why. Flies are winged, so they live in a higher state than frogs. The latter aspire to fly in the air; they want to receive the vibrations of the flies, to develop these vibrations and to begin flying. Why do wolves eat sheep? They need to eat sheep in order to become gentle, for when we eat good things, we become good. Some actors tried to add mutton to their diet for a long time, when they wanted to play the ideal love; for this kind of meat is conducive to such feeling. In this train of thought, if wolves want to be as meek as a lamb, it is good for them to eat lambs. And they will surely become gentle, for they are much gentler now in respect to what they were before. I will tell you the reason why people eat meat: They eat mutton because they want to become nice, they eat poultry because they want to become winged like the Angels. You have this right. The problem is not in consuming such kind of food. When a certain food is restricted, it is because of the consideration not to cause suffering to the animals used for this purpose. I say that you may eat such food. When you go to the chicken coop and catch a hen, if it does not cluck, you may kill it and eat it, but if it clucks, leave it, it wants to live. In the same way, if a sheep bleats, leave it, it wants to live. So, you would do better if you ask them and see which sheep or hen is ready to live through you.

Christ says, “I am the Living Bread and who eats Me will have eternal life.”

We need to purify ourselves to be able to understand the words of Christ. We need to purify our sight and our mind. Our mind is a perfect tool, if we know how to use it, but it could be also very dangerous, if we do not know how to use it. It is your right to plough an empty field when you will sow it as you follow the natural Law. However, when you plough an already cropped field, you do a foolish thing. Some people say, “We need to think this over and criticize.” In their view, science cannot exist without criticism, but in what sense? Criticism that is like surgery, removing the diseased part of a human body, is useful, I understand this, but removing a healthy part is out of the question. It is not difficult to be such a surgeon, for each one is able to use a saw and cut off someone’s leg. All of you have this skill, but only a few know how to perform a surgical operation successfully.

In order to learn it, we need to obey the Law of Virtue and Love in all cases. Do not think that I am preaching only peace and tranquility when I speak to you about Love. A person willing to love should endure the greatest suffering in the world. Who has not suffered cannot experience the Divine Principle of Love. In order to love God, we need to be ready for sacrifice, just as God sacrifices Himself for us. Your way to come to know Him is to say, “God, give us what we need.” “Give, give, give,” this call can be heard from the one end of the world to the other and currency has never been cheaper than it is now. Today, we all are receiving salaries probably three or four times higher than people had before, but again we think we do not have enough. Money is devaluated, for no goods correspond to it. Thus, we should ask for wheat, corn, pears, and apples.

You say, “God, I want to be beautiful; I want to be rich!” You want to have many things, but do you know that it will be a disaster for you? If you become rich, you will be an object of criminal intentions and will need guards to keep you safe, like those rich Americans who take three or four bodyguards because they are exposed to blackmail at each step. We do not need riches, we need only those basic things that make our life good.

We have neglected our emotional development, so we have to go back to that fundamental principle of training and ennobling our hearts. Negativity does not reside in the human mind but in the human heart. We shall, each one of us, ask our hearts about their own desires. It is our fault, for we have corrupted our hearts alone by making them repeatedly lie as some maid-servants do; by making them think negatively; and so on. God said in the Scriptures, “My son, give Me your heart!”[7] God knows and sees human faults, however, God requires no more from us than to open our hearts and let Him in. You will ask, “How?” We do this in the same way as we open a window to let the light come into the room. There are sayings, “A room full of light is not visited by doctors or diseases;” and “Where Light never enters, the doctor never leaves.” In the same way, no devil has admittance to the human heart where God dwells.

If a doctor pays you a visit, he will say, “You need to eat more, drink more, do this and that.” We put up with all this until our backs break.

We are often like the cameleer who traveled through the desert and whose camel could barely carry all the load. But when he found a fox skin on his way, he threw it on the camel too; and as a result of overloading, the camel’s back broke and all goods remained in the desert. The camel can carry only a certain amount of weight. We are like this camel, as we are also travelling. If we put on our backs a load that is heavier than we can carry, one day it is going to hinder our development. I do not recommend poverty to you, but to gather riches in three aspects: not only physical and intellectual but also spiritual. Heaven wants such wealthy people because they can be generous and when Christ says, “Lay up treasures in Heaven,”[8] He means such spiritual treasures.

Deposit your capital in Heaven so that God may feed the poor on Earth by its interest. It is not the Angels who are working out our salvation; we need to do it by ourselves and we have all the favorable conditions for this. The Law does not require all of us to be equally learned - everyone should know only what is needed to them. Someone says, “I have a small brain,” but I ask then, “If you cannot take care of a foal, how could you take care of a big horse? If you have a small heart and cannot control it, how could you master a bigger heart with greater desires?”

What should we do? In my opinion we should not think about the future, but rather take advantage and use for good all the benefits that the present day brings to us. It carries all the future blessings for us. The Law is that God, Who has given us provisions for this day, will do the same for all other days.

We should better not think about what will happen to us in the future, but stay calm; there are certain laws regulating the human relationships. It is not by chance that someone causes harm, but it happens according to a Law. However, any misfortune will bring you a blessing; any obstacle will open a new horizon for you. You may test this at all times, so do not worry about the misfortune that may befall you.

Some people ask me about the political situation in Bulgaria and what will happen to the country. Is that not strange? What has happened? Bulgaria has been massaged a little bit and that is all. Some load has been removed; Bulgaria was given a new experience and a new task to solve. Most people do not consider reasonably the Laws regulating Life, but we are looking for the guilty ones instead. Tell me: Who is guilty? You are not able to find the guilty ones now. The individual human life is to be blamed. When one wants to become a king of the others, he is guilty and the one who wants to dethrone the king, he is guilty too. It does not matter who the king is, this or that one, the third or fourth one; they all follow the same pattern.

I do not say that one should not desire to become a king or a queen. But of what subjects? Of yourself only, of your mind, heart, and will-power. What is the state of your residents? Have you succeeded in mastering your thoughts, feelings, and desires; have you set yourselves in wellness and order? You should give an example to the world at first place. What preacher am I if I turn to the people telling them to be generous, but I am a miser; if I tell them not to steal, but I steal; or if I tell them not to lie, but I lie? A teacher who is teaching others should be a model for them and should first give them an example. Jesus, when He came down to teach the human beings, first gave them an example to follow and if we apply His Teaching, the world will be immediately transformed. A dynamic force is hidden within us, but we cannot use it because we do not know how to act properly.

Once a prickle grew on the road, blocking people’s passage. Travelers passing by it hit it with their crooks, but the more they hit it, the more it grew until it began to overturn the carts. People did not know what to do. But then a pick came and said to the prickle, “I am going to show you my art now!” At first, the prickle laughed at it, thinking, “So many people could not do anything to me; will you frighten me then?” The pick began to undermine the prickle’s roots from far away. It dug deeper and deeper and at some point, the prickle said, “Yes, you have found my weak point.” Until you put a pick to work within you, the prickle inside will always laugh at you, saying, “I am going to grow more and more!” It is an allegory for you to comprehend. What is the pick? Think and find it out!

We should be always in the place of a judge regarding our deeds. For example, in the American Civil War, two criminals - one blind and the other crippled, were apprehended, while stealing apples. The owner of the garden caught them and brought them before a judge. The blind one said to the judge, “I am blind; I did not steal, but I spread my hands and took some apples from the ground.” The crippled one shouted, “I have no legs, so I could not go to steal apples!” After some thought, the judge said, “Put the crippled man on the back of the blind one!” and he added, “He who has eyes has found the apple tree and he who has no legs but hands, has gathered the apples.” They were caught in that position.

The same is true for the human being, each one of us is made of two beings: one is blind and the other is crippled. When God catches them at a crime scene, each one will claim, “I have not picked; I have not taken; I could not have been there!” God answers, “Put the first one on the back of the other!” and after that, He judges them. Who is the blind being? It is the human instinct. Who is the crippled being? It is the human mind. They both have decided to steal apples, the crippled on the back of the blind. But when they are caught, each one says, “Why do you blame me?” However, they are both guilty.

Evolution is a prerequisite for us. Much greater blessings are in store for us, but we are to become enough learned, fairly good, and mature enough so that this heritage could be entrusted to us. These three things that I mentioned before: Virtue, Justice, and Wisdom; are great riches and if you have them, you will be healthy and happy.

You will ask, “How can we apply this Teaching in the world?” I answer: We are not required to set the world right. The world has been set right and there are no abnormalities in it, for everything moves according to a set order.

We know the reasons why events, natural or political, occur. We should not alter this flow. However, the individual transformation of each person in the world, male or female, is a necessity. When individuals transform themselves, their children, their sons and daughters, will be transformed too, and when their neighbors undergo this transformation too, the entire world will be set right. As the leaven is, so is the dough. It is the principle that Christ has established and He is working for its realization. Just as the chrysalis advances and is transformed into a butterfly, in the same way the world will be uplifted and changed for the better. The great unrest in it is due to all those who cannot create their own chrysalis and are worried about how they will spend the coming winter.

The transformation therefore, should take place in our minds, as well as in our hearts and wills; and as soon as it occurs, we are going to sense that we also possess a certain inner power. Then we will be able to contact those Sublime Beings who have already advanced and whom we call Saints. As a result our minds will be enlightened in the same way as students are enlightened in the presence of their teachers. Saints are the Teachers of the humankind and we all shall follow their guidance, for they teach the world how to live. You will ask, “Where, at what place, are these Teachers? We do not see their images in the church.” It is because every object has a shadow by which we can find the object itself.

Your desires are just a shadow in the world, as your aspirations are. If you want to grasp the essence, you must observe the Law: from your heart to move up to your mind and think about God. How can we visualize God? We can visualize Him as the most perfect Being, in Whom there is absolutely no malice or hatred. God loves human beings in the same way as real father loves his children. Such is the attitude of God toward us. What do you think: Is He listening to us or not? He is listening to us and He is working inside our minds. The good disposition that we have every day is due to Him. Just as the Sun makes us well-disposed every day after its rise, in the same way, the happy moments in life are due to this inner Sun that is shining within us. There are rises and settings in the spiritual life as well. The Sun rises high in your mature age; you are at your noon and you will set in your old age in order to rise up again.

God will rise in many hearts and minds, but in many others He will not rise. Those individuals in whom the Divine will rise are going to feel joy and gladness; but those in whom It will not rise will say, “Life is misfortune, sorrow, and suffering.” They need to wait. Why? It is because no conditions exist in them for rising. If the Sun rises in them prematurely, it will be a disaster, so it is better for them to rest now. I do not say that they are going to die, not in the least. I only quote a Law. When I speak about setting, everyone associates it with dying. What is death? It is a supposition. Everyone needs to die in order to be able to tell what death is because now you are only presuming.

In one of his stories, Tolstoy tells the following: He met a Russian monk, 85 years old, white bearded and asked him, “What were the reasons compelling you to become a monk?” The monk told him his story in short, “I come from a royal family. When I was between 21–25 years old, my parents wanted me to marry a princess. At that time I fell into an lethargic sleep. Doctors came and checked my pulse. ‘His heart does not beat,’ they said and wanted to have me buried. I said to myself, ‘Is this really death?’ I was unable to give them a sign that I was alive. My fiancee came with her father and I heard that he was advising her to cry a little bit so that people would think that she loved me. She answered, ‘I never loved him but his wealth. And then I told myself, ‘If God brings me back to life, I would live in a different way.”

How awful it is to be alive and not to be able to tell people about it; how awful it is to see everyone weeping and not to be able to show them that you are alive! How many people have been buried in this way? There is nothing more horrible than to be buried alive. The greatest misfortune is to remain for days and months in the ground and not to be able to separate from your body; that is the worst prison, just like hell. If we are pure, we will know when the soul leaves the body and will never pass through such suffering.

When a doctor states that someone is dead, people say right away, “Take him!” They make a nice coffin and carry him in it with music and songs. Where is their love? That is the love of
fellowmen and of society! Someone tells you, “I love you.” In what way? Is it in the way a cat loves a mouse or a wolf loves a sheep? It is also love, but the world only suffers from such love. The Love needed in the world is to love others helping them to be happy like us. That is why Christ says, “He who trusts Me will do what I do and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, Who will come and dwell in him.”[9]

You ask, “What will happen to Bulgaria?” I ask what will happen to you. You do not know that the Devil has taken all your property; he has sold even your skin. Yet you ask what will happen to Bulgaria. Bulgaria, it is you. Pray to God to help you in expelling this uninvited guest from you, to help you in preserving your property: your mind and your heart. The Devil is to be blamed for all this suffering, but you should not be angry with him. I approve of him only in one aspect: he is very industrious and does not get discouraged. If you chase him out of one door, he enters through another; if he does not succeed one way, he tries a second, a third, and a fourth way. It is an excellent and encouraging trait of his. God says, “Take an example from him, as he is a teacher of people, teaching them lessons and he will teach everyone.” After he has lied and lied to you, finally you are going to tell him, “We have already learned your lies and you cannot lie to us anymore.”

One person said to a friend, “You cannot lie to my monkey.” His friend went to the monkey and pretended to be asleep. The monkey also closed its eyes and at that time he took the money. The master of the monkey came home and punished it. Next time, the monkey will keep its eyes open, as it knows what will follow. With the experience we get after we have suffered, we shall tell the Devil, when he comes, “My eyes are open!”

If you begin to suffer, say, “I have not yet passed through the whole process of the grain of wheat.” When your minds and hearts are transformed and perfected, then you will attain the image and likeness of God and God will lift you up in the same way as the Sun revives the sown grain of wheat.

Lecture given by the Master, March 23, 1914, Sofia.

------------------------------------------------

1. Grosh is an old Bulgarian word for a penny.

2. Wheat in Bulgarian - жито

3. See also Ephesians 5:2, “And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given

Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.”

4. See John 6:51.

5. “Why” in Bulgarian - защо?

6. See Matthew 10:37.

7. See footnote 11 on page 24.

8. See also Matthew 6:19–20, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on Earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.”

9. See also John 14:21.