1944_10_27 Changed Direction

Jackline Spasova-Bobeva

Note 1

Changed Direction

24 year, XIII lecture of the youth class, 27 October, 1944, Friday, 5:00 a.m., Sofia, Izgreva

The Lord’s prayer.

„I will get younger“.

Can you tell what the last lecture was about? Sometimes you want to know the past, your past rebirth. The man forgets. Now why have you forgotten, what is the reason? I want to know why you have forgotten. What is the reason for this? Not forgetting it, but why you have forgotten? It is the same law! Why sometimes the man does not want to make good, sometimes he feels like doing something bad, sometimes he is not disposed. Why? Have you thought that a fiddler, who goes to play in some hall, plays to the people out of love? He plays because he need to, to earn his living. All Bulgarian rebeck-players play for payment, they have no idea. They say, “It is hunger, we must play”. He earns his bread with the fiddle or the rebeck. It takes a farmer one whole year to reap wheat; when the fiddler comes, he sows and reaps in half an hour. How soon does the fiddler do his work? Musically all things are done very easy. Now you have forgotten this because it is not connected to music. May be you will remember some years later. Which day it was, last Friday? How many people were they? How many songs did they sing? Which prayer should be read?

(Figure)

Two people are looking at the same object. They are in focus. /A and B/ both of them have certain impressions. Then this object recedes, gets smaller and diminishes. Diminishing has one reason – the angles are reduced. The space recedes. Space that is nothing itself recedes. Let’s say that the sun, which has a diameter of eight thousand kilometres, is seen small. What is nothing gets smaller. At the same time the body can increase and space increases.

When some things are not clear in our minds, this means that they are not in focus, they are far from focus. If an object is put in this focus, then you will have a more clear idea. You love all things that are in focus in your mind or in your feelings, because images are clear. You say, “A clear idea. The clear idea is a ripe fruit. The unclear ideas are unripe fruits. The idea in the mental world is a fruit. A thought in the mental world is a fruit. Those who live in the mental world, they also have fruits. By analogy they have flowers, too. Now you would say that it is not clear how there are colours in the mental world. You have an idea in your mind, you think about love and about wisdom. You have a clear notion, don’t you? What is your idea in your internal world about love? Every one of you, even every animal has a certain animal notion. The animal notion is not like the human one; according to that notion the animal has attitude towards the world. Now it can be explained to you in that way. Imagine that an animal that is lifted high can see a house from everywhere, from the four sides, from above and from below. An undeveloped creature can see only one small window, not a big window, but a small one of that house. What is the reason that it does not see? His sight angle is too little. A creature with sight angle C the things will be twice smaller, they will not be so clear. Let’s say that you meet a person and you say that he is a good man. What gives you the reason? What is your angle? How do you know that he is good? The good man has only some features that are bigger or smaller. In the good man there is activity. When you see these features you see that this man is good. The good is like the white colour. How do you recognize the white colour? The white colour has a full reflection. The black colour has no reflection. The good has full reflection; that is why it is good. The good does not have a reflection, it is black. For example, the good has its colour, the mercy has its colour, justice has its colour. Now I will not tell you what are the colours, but they have colour. Because if justice has no colour, it is incomprehensible. The colour makes it accessible for us. Through the colour we learn its features [qualities]. Justice puts disharmonious things in place. Without justice everything in the world would be anarchy. Without the good, things would be with no content. Now those who study the physiognomy rely on the following law: as the eyes are further from the nose, the man accepts more impressions. When the eyes are closer to the nose, the man accepts fewer impressions. As I said in my last lecture, the angle was less, therefore you do not remember. Very few impressions, vague impressions, therefore everything is all right. Now if we increase this angle, you will remember immediately. For example, if I give a bonus of two hundred and fifty pounds, you will remember immediately. Who remembers will receive 250 pounds, it will immediately come to your mind, you will start searching, you will create a lecture. Of course, this will not happen at one, some time will pass. You should be given not paper money, but golden money. To learn, a man must always have a stimulus. You say – is it money? Anyway there must be a stimulus. Without a stimulus and with no motivation man cannot think. You think about things that impress you. Every impression is a motive. The objects are important for our mind as far as they bring something pleasant inside us. You like listening to music, because it brings pleasure to your ear. You like watching flowers because they bring something pleasant through the sight. Or you like walking around the flowers because they bring pleasure to your nose. Or you like some food because it is tasty. Because there is something that contributes to it. This is the true law. A thought is important for our mind as far as it is pleasant. Every feeling is useful as far as it is pleasant. I take the word ‘pleasantness’ in the elementary meaning. Only the good things are pleasant. Bad things are sometimes pleasant at the beginning and at the end they are bitter. There are some things that are bitter at the beginning and at the end they are sweet. All fruits on the earth, with little exceptions, are bitter at the beginning, then become sour, and then they become sweet. Plants have knowledge, they can transform bitterness, they take out the bitter elements and replace them with sweet ones. Some of the plants do not make this effort, therefore their fruits remain bitter. In this respect plants are not so ignorant. They have wide knowledge in their specialty. I say on these grounds you have bitter thought, you want to throw it away. It is a fruit of your life, you will transform it. How do you transform bitter thoughts? What is your experience? It happens so that sometimes a friend of yours hurts you. How do you transform bitterness into sweetness? It happens in you. You do not know it. Bitter things have long waves and sweet things have short waves. All fruits that have long waves are bitter. Those who have short waves are sweet. You notice a little worm that is moving slowly. Little creatures that move slowly. What are they? Are they clever? They are not very clever. Why are they not clever? Those who move slowly have internal defects, they are bound, they are occupied with the internal life and they are not interested in anything else outside. They are not interested in the flowers, in the sky. They say, “We can hardly look at the earth. We are tied up. The little moisture that we bring will dry out, our life will go away. They are not interested in anything. There is one long ray since their head is very little; it is pointed at the ends. How many billion times is your head bigger than the head of the worm? Do you know how many things are there about which the contemporary people do not think? They think about few things. Some think only about the shoes, for some hat, for some clothes, for some meal. Rarely he would think about some book, would look at some star, at some flower. It is ridiculous. He says, “he has a head”. The contemporary people have the least educated heads. Then, the people who always find defects and faults in the world, they think little. A man, whose mind is busy to think, he never finds mistakes [defects]. Defect things are a reflection of our life. Whatever a man is, this is what he sees. When a good man sees a bad man, he sees the good in him. When a bad man sees a good man, he sees the bad in him. He thinks that the good man has found some art, he wants to entangle him, he wants to hide. He does not believe at least. He must live with a man at least for ten years to make him understand that there is something. Then he will remain on a particular point of view. And you see this law: thousands of years God has treated people well and He is still suspected. They say, “Who knows how God is playing with us.” He has taken your child; he has taken your ox. Who makes this to him? For the child to die, He is the reason. For the ox to die, He is the reason. To dry up, He is the reason. For all this they say God is the reason. Someone has not married on time, the child has not been conceived on time, he is not healthy, his wife is not healthy, the child dies. Whose fault is this? It’s God’s fault. What God has created, it never dies. What is the Divine? What does not lose its colour. What is the Divine? What does not lose its reasonableness. What is the Divine? What does not lose its goodness. All these things that change have a completely different nature. First you will have a clear notion about the Divine things. You bear the nuances of thousands of generations that had had certain disadvantages. You have to get rid of them in order the Divine features that have initially been put in to show out [emerge]. They are covered with a thick layer. This layer must be removed. These Divine embryos must come out to the surface, of the Divine soul, to give their fruits. Now in your mind stands the ides – why God has created the world in that way. Why the people have created it in such a way. In the earlier Turkish language when they wrote they put full stops and if a Turkish book was left open and the flies made other dots, then it becomes unreadable. This is the Divine world. The people have put many dots and you cannot read it. But the dots that are put by the people can be erased, while the dots that are put by God remain. First take a sponge and clean it up. What can be erased is human, what remains is Divine. Sometimes you are afraid to rub with the sponge. Everything that is human gets erased. What is Divine, it remains. There is no way to erase it.

Let’s say that now you get insulted. This is a human thing. A human dot. You have put a dot. If you erase the dot, the insult will disappear. Or you have disbelief, rub with the sponge over it and the disbelief will disappear. I can make anyone of you think something bad. At first a man has a good opinion about another man. He takes one thousand, two thousand levs as a loan, he does not pay back and the other man will immediately start thinking bad things. He says, “Give the money back!” He was a very good man. This is not Divine. These are human habits. I can tell you why he does not pay. Find a sponge, go and rub well with the sponge and he will pay immediately. Even the contemporary apaches have learnt this law. A religious man went to an Englishman, a rich man, a millionaire, to ask for money. He said, “God has given you mind, a heart, go to work, why do you go to beg!” a man who begs will find prison. In England if you go somewhere to give you money, you will take a fiddle to play or sing. After you sing or play the music you will give the plate to give you money. Or you will make a focus. You have to do something to give you anything. This religious man started to study the character of the rich man. He took a gun. One evening he managed to go into the office of the rich man and hid under the table. The rich man had just put down the gold, counting and enjoying the money. The other man went out and took the gun. The rich man said, “Please, please, do not kill me. Take as much as you want!” After the man filled up his pockets he said, “Do you know who I am? I am the man who wanted from you for God, and you told him to go to work. I have learnt to work. Now I show you the power of the gun that I bought. You pay for it. I give you a lesson. When someone else comes to beg, give him. He will take less. For the art I take more. I left you to pay as much as you want. For the art I take as much as I find it well.” This is how we do. Always when the gun comes – these unnecessary sufferings – at once we are ready for all sacrifices. It is not bad. We learn. These are clarifications. Is that example true? Ideologically it is true. In reality, I don’t know exactly if it is so. How true this example that I gave you I do not know. I will give you another example to clarify that example. The same man goes to a millionaire to kill him. The millionaire knew the art to moisten the gunpowder. When the gun is pointed at him, he moistened the gunpowder, it does not work. He goes in and points the gun at him. He says, “You want to threaten me, but it does not work.” The man pulled the trigger again and again, but it doesn’t work.

If you want sometimes the people to insult you, you must know how to moisten the gunpowder. When someone comes when he pulls the trigger, not to work. Until then as far as you get insulted, you are a weak man. Does the man have to believe everything? The people who do not believe are right, and those who believe are right, too. For the clerical people the good comes always from God. Whatever happens, he says, “Thank God, no one else.” When someone comes to help him, he says, “God made you do it, it s not you.” The people who do not believe do not thank God; they thank the people, who have made them a favour. Where is the mistake? You would say, “Those people are right.” Both sides are right, but they are not complete. Because each person is your fellow-man. The first law is God’s law, but the second law is for the people. When the first law comes, the second law of the fellow-man must come at the same time, too. I say, “The unbelievers act first with the law of the fellow-mate, and the spiritual people act with the law of God, having put the law of the fellow-men aside. Both laws must function.

If you are given a task: someone to make you a favour, what do you have to do? This man is rich, he has given you 10, 20, 30 thousand levs, you thank him. The clever man, after having done the good thing to you, will look if you will do good, then he will give you less. First he gave you 20 thousand, then he would give you 10. He watches you again, when you go to him for the third time, he will give you 5, until finally he gives you a stiver. When someone complains of his destiny, God has given you much once, then He gives you less and finally He gives you a stiver. When you open your heart, you will start giving, God will open to you. You draw a check of 20 thousand; a poor man looks at you and says, “Can you lend me some money?” You just wave away and go. God is watching you. The Script says, “Without knowing, sometimes you have treated an angel”. If you treat an angel he pays you back for the favour you have done to him. We must not do the good as we do it now. You give five levs and you think that you have done something. What are five levs worth? It is said, “If you have two shirts, give one of them.” How were these two shirts explained to you? It is a misfortune to have two shirts; therefore you have to give one of them, to get free from the misfortune. Christ says, “Who has two shirts must give one of them.” Give one of the shirts to get rid of the misfortune. In this case who gives one shirt will get free of his misfortune. A Bulgarian priest preached about giving, that who has two shirts must give one of them. The priest’s wife heard that who has two shirts must give one of them. When she went out of the church she went and gave one of the shirts of the priest. He had sweated in the church and went to look for his other shirt to change. She said, “As you said, I have given one of your shirts.” – “I have said that for the others, but not for us.” The priest has sweated because he had two shirts. When does a man sweat? When it is hard for him. The healthy man does not sweat. We think that a man must sweat. It is a painful state. When a man is healthy he has magnetic moisture, he gets cleaned. Do not think that much sweat is good. In the present conditions, this is not a healthy state. We talk about the normal life that must function properly. We must have one very right thought about life. Now often objections are raised. It does not work with giving. It is true, but it does not work with not giving. If the corn in a field is sown very densely, the wheat does not grow good, it becomes feeble. If you sow it densely, it gives little corn. You have to sow it a bit thin, so that it can grow and tassel. When the good in the world is done, it is an exercise. When a man does good, the other people should not know about it. Because when you do good and the people know, you already do not make use of it. If a fiddler plays the fiddle and you go to kiss the strings, what will happen? You will damage the strings. Every person who waits for the others to thank him, damages the strings. When someone is kissing the strings, the fiddler cannot play. The fiddle does not need kisses. And the fiddler does not need kisses. After he finishes playing, then he can be kissed. When he goes to play, nobody should kiss him, nothing more. When do the mothers kiss their children? When the concert is over. Why should a mother kiss her child? What a concert do you give? What for should the mother kiss? In the kiss there is much egoism. Some children are full of magnetism. They have a magnetic power, everybody goes to take some from them. The children that are not magnetic, they are not kissed at all. Everybody kisses the rich children more, the poor children are kissed less. I’ve seen when a child is being kissed, he shouts out. He says, “I do not want you to kiss me”. Some people when kiss, they only take; other kiss and give something. The mother gives something out of her. She says, “There must be something reasonable in life.” The auditory energies in a certain case can be positive, but they can be also negative.

Make a try for one week. During the next week can happen someone to insult you, no matter how. It can be in his look, or by a movement of the hand, or by a word. Who got insulted to find a friend and ask her how to correct this mistake. Whatever they advise you, make a try to see if it is right. ask at least ten friends to see which of the methods will eliminate the insult sooner. Or you might not be insulted, don’t be sorry. Not everybody can insult you. If it happens to someone, give him a piece of advice. What advice will you give him for correcting a mistake? You sometimes read, don’t you? What does the full stop mean? According to the law of reading, what is the full stop? After you read a suggestion, you stop; how much time do you need to rest. After a musician has played an extract, there is a pause somewhere, a crotchet rest, a quaver or a thirty-two rest. Then, what is the comma equal to? What are semi-colon equal to, and a colon. What you call silence is a pause. You read the suggestion and you stop. So prompter gives a hint, you will put a prompter to tell you. You start reading, the full stops are prompters, the semi-colon is a prompter, they just help. You do not know this. With the full stop someone is talking to you. You read, you are careful, something is talking to you from inside. When it tells you, you read again, you stop again. It is very natural. An exchange of human thoughts. The rests in the music are according to the same law. When the musician stops he gets inspired in the pause. Sometimes you want to clear it up; you do not know where to put the full stops. The full stops are put where the suggestion ends.

Now for you, what is the most difficult question that embarrasses you? Often you say, “I am indisposed.” The biggest think that embarrasses you is your disposition. You get up in the morning, you are indisposed. You give a concert, you are indisposed; you walk, you are indisposed. You wear shoes, you are indisposed. You have clothes, you are indisposed. It is very difficult for a man to be disposed. You are watching someone looking at his shoes. I see his shoes pinch him. He is moving up his shoulder, his coat is tight at his shoulder or under the arm. Or I see him touching his hat. There is always a reason. He has put his hat, it comes over his eyes. If it is morning, he lifts his hat to get more light in. I say, “Learn when your shoes pinch not to look at them.” They bring a dissonance inside. You should say to yourself, “I am walking very well now.” You just say, “These shoes are very nice”, not to walk and look at your shoes. I say, “In the contemporary modern education the shoes must make you without any defect, not to pinch your toes, the toes must be loose. The clothes must be loose, not to be tight under your arm or at the shoulder, but to fit well.

I say, When you walk during the week, watch how the people are walking. How many people will you find who walk in the right way and there is something good in their walking. The world is an object study. If you do not learn to observe the physical world right, you cannot draw right conclusions from the facts. How will you observe the thoughts and feelings, they are abstract notions. If we do not understand the visible things, how shall we understand the invisible. If you cannot appreciate the good, you cannot do it with the evil at all. The men cannot be educated by the evil; it is the good that educates. With the evil no education is possible. The evil is just a restriction; it will restrict you only not to eat much. I say, The only thing that can be used to educate people is the good as food. The evil is like a warning not to eat much. What is an education? Education is a result of the good. The good is the food that is given to the man: the good food, the good thoughts, the good feelings, the good deeds, all this that is visible in the world.

How many things remain basic? It is the good that educates the man, the evil only restricts him. In education the clothes have an important role, the shoes have an important role, the hat plays an important role. It depends what it is, if it is woollen, if it is cotton or if it is silken, it matters. If you make a try you can see. If you put only silken clothes on a child, his character will go wrong, because for one silken shirt thousands of silkworms have been sacrificed. In my opinion the best clothes for education are the linen and the cotton clothes. The woollen clothes are good for ill people. A man who is a bit ill should wear woollen clothes. Sometimes we do fewer crimes in linen and cotton. For the woollen clothes we would shear the sheep, we would take its clothing preliminarily, form the silkworm we would take the cocoon preliminarily. The woollen clothes are very nice, but for self-education the cotton and linen clothes are better. Not that it is bad to wear woollen clothes; in the future when the wool starts falling from the back of the sheep, when it is hot, then we will shear the wool with love. You will caress the sheep and she will be pleased that you have sheared this wool. Then when you make the clothes, they will be good. If you take, it is not worth. I say, in order to re-educate the world in the future may be they will cultivate the wool, not take it from the back of the sheep. How many kilos is a woollen article of clothing? Now the linings of the clothes are very unnatural. It is not necessary. It is a delusion. It should be without lining, of pure woollen textile, the well-done clothes, without lining. In the future it should be without lining. Now we are in a difficult situation with no linen. The time will come when the clothes will be without linings. Now you cannot wear winter clothes in summer; you cannot wear a summer article of clothing in winter. I have made only one attempt to wear clothes without lining, to wear a woollen article of clothing. It was of pure wool, I spent the winter without linings, it was a very light article of clothing and it kept me warm, there were no buttons, it was open without buttons. If you have woollen clothes and you are healthy man, a magnetic connection is formed through which the cold cannot penetrate in you. If you soak a very thin article of clothing with magnetism, it keeps warm. It is not the heavy clothes that keep you warm. The clothes must be made of pure woollen textile, to be soaked with its good thoughts, with good feelings, to put it on with magnetic power, then it is healthy. Therefore when a man has been ill, he must leave these clothes. When someone dies, his clothes are given away. Do not wear the clothes of a dead person. Do not wear clothes made of a dead sheep. Do not wear clothes made of dead silkworms. It is not good, too. Now these things are to create a character.

How do the social matters work, they will work, they are inevitable. The society cannot be mended. We can mend ourselves, we can make tries. When the time comes to mend the society, the methods will be completely different. Never wear clothes that you do not like. The rule in wearing clothes is: Leave away clothes that you don’t like. Don’t put on your feet shoes that you do not like. It is personal. Not how what the other people wear. If you want to create a character inside you, this is the way. Never wear something that you do not love. Never wear tight shoes, because it has influence on the character.

Now how many things did you remember? You cannot remember everything. A man needs number of years to apply it. Now where will you fund pure wool? Where will you find now leather to make such shoes? Where will you find material for a hat? How do the plants make clothes for themselves? Which tailor makes them clothes? Who teaches the flowers to make their blossoms? Which tailor has made the feathers of a bird? Take the bird of paradise, it is dressed like a queen, it has the most beautiful clothing. Who has taken care of this? If we decide to live in that way, there is someone who is interested in us. Since we are not interested, the invisible world is not interested, too. If we get interested in this, the rational world will immediately take part. Since we are not interested, nobody is interested in us. They have made nice clothes for the birds, in which they were interested. Why some have nice clothes, while with others the colour is not in place? There is a great difference in birds.

So the first thing that is required from you is to change the direction of your thoughts, the direction of your feelings and the direction of your deeds, nothing more! Now you should not give up the old. Your old habits will be roots as the roots of the trees in the ground. Your new habits will be the branches with the fruits. You will live at the same time inside and outside; some in the roots, some in the branches and you will reconcile the contradictions. The contradictions in life can be reconciled only in that way. We will take an example from the plants.

Sing a song (We sang “I can love“.)

Remember one rule: The Divine things come to you alone. You should not look for the Divine. The things that we look for are human things. The Divine light comes alone. The air comes alone, it is around you. Now we delude ourselves, we think to go all over the world to find the Divine. The man must only change his direction. The Divine will find him. Therefore we have to acquire [learn] the Divine well, in order to acquire the human well, too. Many times since we have not acquired the Divine as it should be, and as a consequence the human, that we are looking for and there we make mistakes. Since the Divine in us is not acquired as it should be, therefore we make many mistakes. If the Divine is well acquired, the human is easily found. The human is also necessary, but it is secondary. First in life at every age there is one basic thought that the man has adopted. You must be disposed only to that basic. I like only one example to some extent that makes it clear what is the Divine. A very poor boy that was born very poor, without a mother and a father, had very strong ambitions [striving] to music, but he had no money. Once he heard about a fiddler; he wanted to listen to him, but he went here and there and nobody helped him. He sat down in front. When the fiddler came out he saw the boy with his eyes full of tears. He got interested in him immediately. The boy said, “I have come to listen to you, but I had no money for a ticket.” The fiddler took his address and went and made a concert for him. When we have in us this Divine desire, the fiddler will come. The other people have to buy tickets with money, but here the fiddler goes alone. There the people go, here the fiddler comes. We go to the human, when we want the Divine it comes alone. This example explains the idea. So now this artist can find you somewhere.

Only God’s Love brings the profound and full life. (three times)

Source