1939_08_17 SEEK NOT YOUR OWN

Ani

Note 4p

SEEK NOT YOUR OWN

Reflection

“Charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.”

Several nuns served at a monastery. They had a good, devout abbess. Besides her religious duties, she also looked after the farm of the monastery, where they bred several hens that used to lay eggs. The abbess noticed that some of the eggs were missing. She wondered who was stealing them. Finally she came to the conclusion that the nuns were taking the eggs from the henhouse and baked or boiled them in their cells. Aiming to stop this, she gave a strict order not to light fires within the cells. In spite of the order, though, the eggs continued to go missing. One evening, she decided to check what the nuns were doing in their cells. She looked through the keyholes of the doors and saw that some of the nuns were praying, while the others conversed with each another, or read books. In one of the cells, though, she saw something strange: two of the nuns held a wire in their hands; on it they had hung an egg, baking it on a candle. – Oh, my! Look what the Devil taught them! To bake an egg with a candle! The Devil, who was by the abbess, heard her accusation and said: You are blaming me in vain. I myself also see this trick for the first time. – What am I to do then? – Stop breeding hens within the monastery. – How can I – I need these eggs! – As you need them, so do the nuns – replied the Devil and went on its way.

August 17, 5 a.m.