1939_08_20 RELATIVE AND ABSOLUTE VIEWS

Ani

Note 4p

RELATIVE AND ABSOLUTE VIEWS

Reflection

In the old times the disciples considered the four elements of Aristotle: water, air, fire, and earth. They used to say that man couldn’t live without these elements. He cannot live without water – he will die from thirst; without air he will suffocate; without fire he will freeze and not be able to move; without earth he will not have a place to stand and get rest.

Contemporary scientists say that these four elements participate widely in the formation of the organic world. In one word, they play a leading part in the creation of Nature. As they studied these four elements, called so in the broad sense of the term “element”, they say that water is a composite body, constituted of two parts of hydrogen and one part of oxygen. The air is a mixture of 4/5 nitrogen and 7 grams of oxygen. Earth is a mixture of different quantities of all the elements. What then the scientists considered as an element today is proven not to be an element. Why? Because it might decompose to more common composite parts. Outwardly it looks like an element, but inwardly it does not look so. But then the doll also resembles a human, yet it is not. It has all the human limbs, but its limbs do not make it a human being. Humans are beings that have Spirit, soul, mind, and heart. The Spirit is a beginning that creates everything; the soul settles everything; the mind manifests everything, the heart melts everything.

As we compare contemporary life with the life of the past, we see a great difference both from a scientific and religious point of view. The present scientific views differ considerably from the view of the past. The present religious views also differ considerably from the view of the past. Likewise, the future scientific and religious views of people will differ greatly from the present ones. For instance, little children believe that there are no fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters like theirs in the world. Is this true? Their views are such. Sometimes, older people also make such conclusions. Why? They make such conclusions because of their views. As he does not understand things, man misinterprets them.

During the French revolution, a young Turk said to an old Turk: There is a revolution in France. The old bearded Turk, pondered over it and said: Thank God. I hope that what happens there will happen here also. Why did he say that? Because he did not understand. He thought that some great good had befallen on France. As they explained to him, that during a revolution things turn upside down, he said: I hope God will protect us and what happens in France will not happen here. Now I see what the revolution means.

What does the word “revolution” mean? It means that things turn around their own centre. Does the wheel not turn on its own axis, too? If it does not make a revolution it cannot move. The revolution consists of good and evil. The result of the good is that a man grows rich and the result of the bad is that the man gets poor; as a result of the good, man comes back to life, while as a result of the bad – he dies. There exists a fictitious death in Nature. As one being dies, another creature is being born. Evil, though, should constantly die. If the evil in man does not die constantly, he cannot live. There is something within man that constantly dies, but there also exists something that constantly survives. For instance, today you are not what you were in your childhood, or in your embryonic stage. When you were in an embryonic stage, you had almost no weight and then it gradually increased. Today your weight is more than 60 kilograms. The more evil grows, the more its weight increases. As it has little weight, the child remembers nothing of its life. The more it grows, its consciousness awakens and it begins to remember. As it grows up, the child manifests strength, depending on the growth of its matter. But you measure the matter with one measure, and the energy - with another one. The matter exercises one type of pressure, the energy - another one.

Contemporary scientists talk about the atmospheric pressure and they say that the pressure upon the man is balanced by his internal tension. If it was not for the internal tension, the outside[M1]  pressure would have flattened him. A man is exposed not only to physical, but to mental pressures as well. For instance, evil is an external pressure acting on man, while good is an internal one. If the internal tension did not exist, a man would have flattened[M2] . So, the outside and the inside [M3] pressure are necessary. Today evil and good are viewed as special types of pressure exerted on a man. According to some people’s opinions, evil is a force, the manifestation of which is not a law, while good is a force, whose manifestation is a law. What is wrong with the fact that a manifestation of force might be a law or not? For instance, Hindus view life as an evil, irrespective of whether its manifestation is a law or not. Evil and good are relative concepts. As a robber robs a rich man, we call this evil. Why? We call it evil because the robber deprives him of his wealth. A rich man suffers, because he does not understand the value of wealth, though. If he had not valued his wealth, he would not have suffered. If the robber returns his wealth, he will be glad. In this case evil disappears. This shows that the concepts of good and evil are relative and they change according to people’s views.

Now I’ll give another definition for good and evil. If you commit evil without Love – it is evil; if you do well without Love – it is evil, too. For instance, if you rob someone and do not return his money – this is evil. You have done evil without Love. But if you rob a man and give him back his money – you have done a good deed. This is evil done with Love. If you do evil with Love, this is good; and if do well with Love – it is again a good deed.

Often people speak ill about themselves. For instance, someone says: I am not a talented man. Why do I need a life full of suffering? Why do I need wealth, as there is no one to love me? Why do I need this knowledge, as I have nowhere to put it into practice? Why have I been given this beautiful voice, as there is no one to listen to me? Those of you that have come to the mountain – sing for the very mountain, for the stones, for the waters. They are the best audience. Start singing and you will see that the water will splash and the small pebbles will jump up. If you sing, but you do not listen to your own singing, no one will listen to you from the outside. You will simultaneously be a performer and a listener. If you yourself do not have a high opinion of your own self, then you will not be highly spoken of by the rest of the people as well. As you have a high opinion of yourself, you will have a high opinion of the surrounding people as well.

Many people think that they are poor and say that they have no resources for teachers. They do not know that The One Who teaches all people is God. He teaches man from the inside – through life itself. He uses evil and the good to teach man. He uses all the goodness and hardships to teach him. Consequently, God requires from man a full trust and confidence in Him. God wants man to implement the love as He himself implements it. God is so indulgent that he does not want from the man to be long suffering, instead, He wants him to at least be patient. He does not want the man to be all loving, but He wants him to at least be loving.

As disciples, you should rationally use what has been given to you today. Each thought, feeling, and action, no matter how small they are - use them there and then. Do not postpone things for the future. The present is yours – not the future. Thus the rational, good, and loving people do.

Thanks[M4]  for everything that happens in your life.

August 20, 5 a.m.

_____

* John, chapter 6

[M1]outer

[M2]{have been flattened}

[M3]{outer and the inner}

[M4]{Give thanks} or {Be thankful}