Ani

Note 2p

The Unit and Eternity

11th lecture given by the Master to the Youth Occult Class

30th December, 1923, Sofia

-Only the light way of Wisdom leads to Truth

-It gives us constant Joy and Mirth

Reflection

A summary on the topic: “The difference between the moral and spiritual person” was read.

A few works on the topic: “The difference between a myth and a fable were also read.

Now, how could you explain the origin of ethics from your personal point of view? Or what accounts for the origin of any human relationship?

How can you explain diversity in Nature? – Diversity comes as a result of differences in multiplication. Those of you who are interested in purely occult physics, chemistry, or biology should, in the first place, study fruits, namely early and late fruits. Some fruits, like cherries and morello cherries, ripen in May and June, others in summer and still others in autumn. Cornel cherries, for instance, ripen in autumn. Cherries and morello cherries blossom early and ripen early, while cornel cherries blossom early but ripen late. My question is - why do some fruit trees blossom early and ripen early, whereas others blossom early and ripen late? Do you know the anecdote about the cornel tree? It reads as follows: When the cornel tree first blossomed, the devil saw it and said, ”As it was I who first saw the cornel, it belongs to me.” On hearing this, the other trees decided to blossom later so that people could be the first to see them. The cornel tree thought that being the first to blossom meant that it would be also the first to ripen. But the Lord decided that as the cornel blossomed the earliest, it should be the last to ripen.

Now what law can you deduce about the cornel tree? The law is as follows: Not all Life conditions that are pleasant and promising can ensure swift results. Though the cornel blossoms the earliest, it does not ripen the first. There are similar cases among students at school. Some students are excellent when they are in the lower grades at high school, and they fail or rank the lowest when they come to the upper grades. And vice versa, some start badly, and further in the upper grades, they become top students. What’s the reason from a psychological point of view for the cornel to blossom early and ripen late? What makes it blossom early? There was a time when the cornel used to blossom early and ripen early. Initially, it was a tropical plant, which was later transferred to a moderate climate. However, when it was moved to moderate climate, it retained its primary essence and led by the bitter experience it had already gained, it said to itself, ”It is not worth ripening so soon.” So anyone who decides on being healthy and morally strong should possess a nature similar to that of the cornel. In ordinary life cornel cherries are used as a remedy. In case of indigestion you should either eat them raw, or take them stewed. Cherries, on the other hand, have a laxative effect. Mind that all plants with a five-petal corolla have a laxative effect on the stomach. So the number five can be indicative of certain properties. Certainly, I don’t mean to discuss medical issues or the healing effect of plants. I only mean to highlight that an inner aspect of Life is revealed in all plants.

Let’s come back to the question why the cornel blossoms early and ripens late. And, finally, why should I ask you a question you can’t answer? It’s not a sin when man cannot solve a problem, because Life is full of insoluble problems. I consider man to be a resolved formula. For the time being, half of the formula is solved, and when in future the other half is solved, human evolution will be complete. I mean an evolution including all forms of existence.

We should all develop the power of observation. I don’t mean that you should be inquisitive, just watchful. Curiosity is a negative feature, while watchfulness will help you infer about the moral aspect of the phenomena and facts under observation. For example, if you meet two people in love, by watching, you will immediately establish the connection between them. You should immediately find out why they love each other. If you first meet the couple A and B, then the couple А1 and В1, and finally А2 и В2, do you think that the friendship in these three cases is just the same? Do you think that the conditions and the reasons for this friendship are the same? Certainly not. It is the reasons themselves that are definitely different. I have met people who love someone for his or her blue eyes. Yet the blue-eyed person on meeting someone who is brown-eyed will say, “I have never seen someone with such beautiful brown eyes!” Therefore, one loves another for the brown eyes. However, the person who loves his friend for his blue eyes will say, “There is something special about these blue eyes!” Yes, indeed, there is something special about these blue eyes, just as the brown eyes are unusual. You will meet somebody brown-eyed, too, but you will say, ”I don’t like this fellow very much.” Why is this so? There is a law according to which you can’t have two friends at the same time. By saying that you can’t nave two friends simultaneously, we have something in mind. This means that in the physical world you can have just one friend, and not two friends, for a very simple reason – if you have a vessel that contains only one litre, all you can pour in it is one litre. Can you pour two litres in this vessel? No way. So one litre stands for the one friend you can put in the vessel. You can’t place two friends there.

Here is another situation. You know the theory about the communication vessels in physics, don’t you? So I’d like to ask you the following: can the friendly attitude of you friend pass into someone else? Yes, it can. How? - You have a friend, who, in turn, has a friend. Now according to the law of the communicating vessels your friend’s friend should be your friend, too. Then I’d like to ask you whether we could have friends in the Spiritual World. Yes, we can. What will they be like? You have friends now and you have always had friends. Can you tell me what makes your friend special? Everyone stands out by one distinctive feature; therefore, the friend you are fond of should also have a distinctive feature you haven’t. Similarly, you should possess some attribute he hasn’t. Thus, what you have and he hasn’t and vice versa, makes the union possible. From this we can infer an original law for the Occult School, according to which the equal relations cannot be brought together. Consequently, a unit can be added to a unit in one place. The fact that people gather at a place proves that people are not units. They are parts of a unit. Today people think of themselves as separate units. No you are not. You’ve just seen that a unit cannot be added to a unit. What can be added to a unit is a zero, which makes the number 10.

So, this friend of yours you are going to unite with should either be nothing, and you a unit, or, just the opposite, you be the zero, and he the unit. When you two come together, you can make the number 10. If someone meets you and tells you that you have no value, you should tell him, “This is exactly what I’m looking for – a unit which if I manage to find, I will make it ten times bigger. If you are a unit, then come to me, because without me you will stay a unit, but if you join me, you will grow ten times as big as you are now.” Here the application of the unit is both original and funny.

So, the problem about the units in occult mathematics is as follows: a unit cannot be added to a unit. This, however, is not proven. In order to prove this, you should carry out a number of experiments. Otherwise, you cannot be sure that it is a law. One of the explanations of the unit and the zero is this: nought, or zero, always shows at what conditions the unit can develop. It is the empty space where the unit can ensure its existence. So the circle, the nought, or the zero are the conditions necessary for reasonable life to develop. Therefore, this empty space has its own consciousness. When the unit enters the consciousness of this “nothing”, the “nothing” can transfer its consciousness to the unit, thus manifesting itself in it. The “nothing” cannot reveal by itself. This is true in the occult, as you will experience it yourselves. How? You might have graduated from three or four colleges, but once you have taken to the Occult, you will experience something interesting and extremely funny. At first you will start getting poorer and poorer until you end up being as simple as beans, as is the Bulgarian expression. You will tell yourselves, “Since I started studying the Occult, I have become foolish, common and insane. But this is just an illusion. This empty space, which is marked as nothing, is the Divine principle in man. It will empty you first, then it will purify you, and having emptied you completely, it will start filling you with as much knowledge as you have never dreamt of. Most of you will pass through this space and will say, “I’d rather get out of here. I don’t want to be here. If I stay here, I would go mad. The sooner I am off, the better.” It’s true, but it is because you are at a stage when the law of emptying acts. Some are afraid of the laws of the Occult, but you should bear in mind that things happen despite your fear. Nature has taken care of everything. It will empty you according to all rules. You may keep saying that you’ve become insane or foolish, but Nature will ignore it. This law acts outside the Occult as well. Besides, it is very consistent not only among people, but also among the more Advanced, Superior Creatures. When these Creatures decide to descend from the upper worlds to study the universe, they also undergo a kind of emptying. Some Angels happen to experience just the same – they start considering themselves to be common or foolish and wonder why they fail to understand what is going on, but then again, they commence their evolution. When their knowledge regains its initial state, it is ten times finer and purer than what it was when they descended to the material world.

Someone will say, “What is all this in aid of? Look, I am foolish now, I’ve lost my mind, my human nature.” Well, what about all those people who go mad? Don’t they grow old? Look at this old man – he has forgotten everything and is speaking in a childlike fashion. He has childish desires and whims. He doesn’t care about anything. Then you look again and you see the same old man clutching at his cane – it is the only thing he can count on in this material world. Why doesn’t he trust anything else? Why doesn’t he trust God? Because he hasn’t opted for the law of nothingness. He has become simple-minded and he says, “There is nothing to do but eat the humble pie.” What happens next? He dies. When he dies, however, he sees his delusion. The state of death is a transition of the Divine consciousness from one state to another. There is always an interspace called the Death Valley that stands between two stages, or two limits A and B of the Divine Consciousness. This means that one has to get rid of all false views on Life. In this respect death can purify the righteous person, while death lets the sinful and stubborn person bear the consequences.

1923-12-30-19_fig1.png

Fig 1.

So, you can add the unit to nought. Only one unit exists in this world and it is Lord. Only one eternity exists in the world and it is nought. The manifestation of space is the manifestation of nought or manifestation of eternity. It is part of the whole. The word part, however, does not stand for the true notion. In such a case, we can put it differently. There are concepts that do not appear or disappear. They live forever. In this respect, every human being is a notional form of the initial unit.

This is a definite idea for you, young people. If you decide to expand it to its fullest, your life will become meaningless. Could you possibly tell me why you would miss the point in life? A wealthy American invited to a feast a few Americans, who were also rich. Do you know how much it cost him? - Twelve thousand dollars for each guest. How much would it be for a hundred guests? - A million and two hundred thousand dollars. What does it show? – It shows that great ideas consume great energy. Anyone, who is determined to tackle a serious issue, takes on a great responsibility. Someone will say, “I want to find out what the point in Life is.” The point in Life is settled. Such an issue cannot be resolved in a day, two or more, or as you might think in a year, two, a hundred or more. The solution is beyond time and space. Don’t ever try to find what the point in life is. If I happen to encounter a man who has broken his leg, the point in Life at this moment is to bandage his leg. If I come across a student eager to study, but without a book, the point in life at this moment is to give him a book to read if I happen to have it. Further on my way, I meet a widow who has a child eager to go to school, but she has no money to support him. In this case the point in Life is to take this child to school and pay his tuition fee. Then I meet a musician, who wants to play some music but he has nobody to inspire him, so he asks me, “Could you, please, sit by me to listen for a while to me playing?” I stop for a while, listen to him carefully, which inspires him – this is the point in Life in this particular case for both of us. One will be playing, while the other will be listening. Next time we might take turns – I will be playing and he will be listening. If you have a friend, you should do just the same – one will be active, and the other will be passive – you should not be talking simultaneously. It happens sometimes that both are talking simultaneously, but it would be far better if one spoke and the other listened. It means that one should be playing, while the other is listening. One is playing while I am listening, and at a point I give my opinion, saying, “A beautiful piece.” The musician gets inspired and exhilarated. This is how the exchange between people works. The exchange should be reasonable.

Therefore, it is diversity that makes Life beautiful. You will always have beautiful feelings as long as you aspire after Divine diversity. If you become uniform, monotonous, you will experience a kind of disharmony and will be exposed to sin. Beauty in the world is the first step to Life.

Another mistake you shouldn’t make is to envy someone who is more gifted than you are. You see a poet or a writer that writes well and you say, “I want to be like him.” You shouldn’t want to write as he does. You see a musician who plays well and you say, “I wish I could play as well as he does.” Well, don’t wish to be like him. You’d rather have a good ear for music but be able to express your gift uniquely. There are people who want to be as religious as their rote model, able to perceive God in just the same way. You should be religious but in a specific way, capable of expressing your own soul. If you act accordingly, you will stay free and unaffected by modern society. People in modern society are strongly influenced by each other; as a result, they are impoverished. How can you tell when one is impoverished? When one is obsessed by dark thoughts and takes a pessimistic view on life, he or she is impoverished. Getting impoverished is a moral decline. If you start adopting such a state of mind you should turn to the law of humility. Humility is a way of toning up you Life. You will say, "I will come back to what I have and start developing it.” There are a lot of undeveloped strengths, gifts and abilities that lie hidden in you, waiting to be cultivated. Then you will feel powerful enough to accomplish anything you are given.

Imagine now that in such weather as we are having today – cold, windy and snowy – I set ten people the task to climb Mount Cherni vruh tonight and come back here. How many would carry out the task successfully? Some might go but the only way to come back is the astral way. If someone unacquainted with the laws of weather gave such a task, such the result would be. In such weather you would be swept away and you would lose your lives. But if a true Master gave you such a task, you would climb the mount and come back safe and sound. How? First, when you set off, it will be windy, but the Master will be inside this wind. If the Master cannot enter the wind, the wind will be extremely hazardous. What’s hazardous about the wind? – Its coldness. There is not a trace of warmth in this wind. Do people die in the warm wind? – No, they die in the cold wind. Why do the shopps (peasants from the Sofia district) wear two fur coats? They say that one might die of cold and never of heat. As the weather is very changeable in the Sofia district, the shopp says, “I need to wear two fur coats in such changeable weather, otherwise it’s risky.” This wise saying is perfectly true. This shopp saying, if translated into a spiritual language, means: one needs to cherish Knowledge and Light in one’s mind and Warmth in the heart. These are the two fur coats. If you have these, no matter what the weather is, everything will be all right.

So, all the currents in Nature are due to certain storms occurring there. They also cause changes in weather. A great Master, for instance, can change these currents. He is able to stop a cold current for six or seven hours till you get to a certain point and come back, then, he can let it go again. A Master can stop a storm, a blizzard, but he is capable of one more thing, namely, he will give you more moisture or water. You still haven’t dealt with live water. Jesus says that the spring He will give people will be the living spring in human souls.

There are some problems you have to cope with. If you find yourselves in a depressive state, you shouldn’t lose courage. In this state of yours you are closer to Truth than when you feel strong. Apostle Paul, who was an occultist, said that he was strong when he was weak. A spirit told him, “My strength can be seen only in misery.” Only when one is weak can the Spirit show itself. This refers to school, too. Great attention is demanded from the students dealing with maths. They need concentration and intensity of thought. Which students can be good mathematicians? – Those who are able to concentrate. There is a close correlation between all power lines of the mind, that’s why what is required from a mathematician is not just a mechanical solution of the problem, but also reflection that comes only through concentration. Even a bad student can be successful if he manages to concentrate, thus developing his mathematical skills.

What is most important of all mentioned up to now? - (That we should add the unit to the nought.) Yes, that is the most important thing for you. All the rest can be forgotten. This is necessary for your development. The unit is you and the nought stands for all the Reasonable Creatures beyond the physical world. The plus indicates that man can get to the true way only through suffering. Under the current conditions of Life, Truth can be passed to the human mind and heart only through suffering. Suffering for the time being is a transitory stage. If someone thinks that Knowledge can come without suffering, he stands on the left. Then the sufferings will grow ten times as much. If sufferings come your way, you will say, ”My sufferings are as much as I need. ”Each suffering is behind the plus, i.e. a small cross that expresses an arithmetic function – addition. When sufferings come to you, you should start adding.

What? – You will add one plus zero. Sometimes you will change the sign into the sign for multiplication (х). The signs used in mathematics are (+), (–), (х), ( : ). These signs complement one another.

Next time it will be New Year. You will thank last year for having learnt a piece of Truth that the unit adds to the zero. The last year says, “Although I failed to teach you anything, I am leaving you with this shred of Truth: you can’t add a unit to a unit. A unit can be added to zero, thus giving the number 10.

A secret prayer

Only the light way to Wisdom leads to Truth

It gives us constant Mirth and Joy.