The Police Investigation. Interrogation Protocol

The Police Investigation

Around 1924, Ivan Tolev, publisher of the occult magazine Vsemirna Letopis ("Universal Chronicle") fell out with Peter Dunov over the Brotherhood's refusal to provide financial support for the publication. The subscribers were few and could not cover the expenses. Tolev insisted that Peter Dunov recommend the magazine to his disciples. Comments appeared in the press, and the authorities launched an investigation. On the 21st of July, 1925, Peter Dunov was summoned for questioning. Then he was asked to write a witness statement.' In that document, he gave an accurate and justified response.

Interrogation Protocol

My name is Peter Konstantinov Dunov, from Varna, aged 60, of Bulgarian nationality, with a clean record, a teacher by profession. I hereby declare that:

My teaching is based on three main principles: Divine Love, Divine Wisdom, and Divine Truth. From these three principles, it follows that we need absolute peace, mutual understanding between people and mutual help for universal benefit. My teaching excludes any violence and demands absolute purity of thought, feeling, and action. One of the most important requirements to all its followers is flawless morality.

In order to be able to adopt and apply all truths of the teaching of Christ, a disciple of the Divine School must be pure in a physical, moral and spiritual sense. Any violation of this requirement is an important obstacle to his development. A disciple must be flawless in any respect, both to himself and to others, to society and to the state. I recommend the observance of the established laws and regulations. Every imperfection and flaw in the social and the state order can be corrected by means of self-perfection, for it has been said: "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." The Church must always be in full accord with the Divine Love, Wisdom, and Truth.

I am not involved in politics because it is not among our objectives. Only people who are yet to study life go into politics. I only preach what is good and wise. Knowledge of life is required to grasp Divine Wisdom and to understand Divine Truths. This knowledge is taught to those who study and grow by their own will. If they are mentally and morally sound, they easily learn the lessons; if they are not, they can give up this task which is beyond their powers.

I neither call nor force or detain anyone against his will. My teaching applies the law of reasonable freedom. Whoever comes will not be rejected; whoever wants to go will not be stopped. No one is coerced; I help them all as they desire, with advice, instructions and rational means, following the laws of the Living Intelligent Nature. All this I do without self-interest. The Lord whom I serve provides for my subsistence.

In view of the above, I declare that any complaints, testimonies, and criticism against me, no matter where they come from, are absolutely groundless. My teaching, elaborated in more than six volumes, and my life are open to all and this statement can be verified any time; therefore, no defense is required.

This teaching assures the physical health, moral purity and spiritual growth of all its followers, and my life is admittedly exemplary. The minor exceptions and delays in development are evidently due to atavistic reasons. That is to say, if among my many listeners there are one or two cases of spiritual hesitation or taint, this is due to themselves or their parents. Their previous and present life demonstrates that clearly. But they are not my disciples although they may have come to me. This is all I have to say.