The 1926 Convention in Sofia

The 1926 Convention in Sofia

After 1925 when the citizens of Veliko Tarnovo rejected Peter Dunov's activity, the summer conventions were held at Izgrev. A wooden platform in the glade with a desk and a chair for the Master were the "facilities" the participants saw upon their arrival in August 1926. There were more than a thousand of them, living in tents. Their life was impeccably organized. The experience of the conventions in Tarnovo proved extremely useful. There was even a "lost and found" desk. All participants were eager to put the new ideas into practice. The Master opened the convention with the words; "You have come not only to see me but to see God. If He reveals Himself to you, that is magnificent. God revealing Himself to us, that is the meaning of life." From the 22nd to the 29th of August, the Master delivered nine lectures, including "The luminous path to knowledge", "The birth of freedom" and "Good and perfection". After the 1926 convention, at the Master's request, a meteorological unit was established at Izgrev. Georgi Radev made daily observations. He followed the appearance of sun-spots and reported them to the Master. The results of his observations were mapped meticulously. Next to the meteorological unit was the sun-dial, also introduced by the Master as a means of practical scientific activity for the disciples. The School at Izgrev was well organized and provided good conditions for scientific and educational work. In that, Peter Dunov was the forerunner of many subsequent groups known collectively as New Age.

"For years they have been talking and writing about the quickly expanding religious movement known as the White Brotherhood. It is interesting because it is original, Bulgarian: founded and headed by a Bulgarian, and impressively viable. This movement evokes at least three different reactions in Bulgarians. Some regard it with curiosity, others with suspicion, fear and hatred, and still others with a hope to satiate their thirst for knowledge of God. This is why I wanted to meet these compatriots, to meet and hear their Master Dunov. I went to their convention with an unprejudiced mind to find out the truth. It was on the 26th of August. We reached Boucher's Glade around 5 p.m. and were welcomed cordially. We found ourselves in a clearing surrounded by a pine forest. There were benches amidst the trees and beyond them, to the east, we could see many tents. We were told there were 1460 participants in the convention. Some were sitting on the benches in the shadow of the trees, reading, or writing, or engaged in placid discussion. A large group were listening to a debate on a topic that evidently was of interest to them all. Others were taking some rest in the tents. Still others, like us, walked around the wide clearing and talked.

The majority of these people were dressed in white, illustrating the idea of a White Brotherhood. Nice name. And a nice symbol, too, easy to display externally but less so to apply internally - for how can you know if a person's soul is white?

We met a couple of acquaintances, ex-Evangelists. There was an American among them. She was wearing a white kerchief. Happy with her new faith, she suddenly started preaching to me in English. Like everybody else, she was speaking with admiration of the Master. This is how they call Dunov among themselves, the Master. "Oh, Mr. Vatralski, you should hear him speak! I am American, I have listened to great preachers but I have never seen anyone like the Master!" We were invited to dinner. The vegetarian meal was simple and frugal but there were so many smiling faces around the table, so many kind words, and good feelings. I noticed Peter Dunov at one of the tables, sitting quietly and unobtrusively on a white pillow placed on a small white chair, while the rest of us were seated on the grass or on rugs. Although he was silent, all eyes, all the attention were focused on him. After dinner, we went around the camp. Everywhere in the tents and around them, there was perfect orderliness and tidiness. One could hardly believe we were in Bulgaria. More than a thousand people of all ages and ranks had inhabited the place for about a week and there was no garbage, not a single peel or a piece of paper anywhere. That perfect order showed not only discipline but exquisite conscientiousness, too. The most interesting and the most special thing about the White Brotherhood is their Master, Dunov: the founder, the leader, and the heart of this mysterious and intriguing movement. I first saw Mr. Dunov at the diner, and then I listened to two of his lectures In conversation, Mr. Dunov is sparing of words. He speaks briefly, slowly and measuredly. When he addresses an audience, however, he livens up and is far from restrained in speech. As a speaker, he has I   no academic air, his phrases are not crisp and fluent and his sense of humour is not overly keen. However, he is original and well-read in Hindu and Christian literature. His words betray exquisite insight and unique originality. Dunov never quotes anyone except himself. I have found Dunov's teaching much more Christian than I had expected from the rumours. Its essence consists of Love, Wisdom, and Truth. This teaching is as ancient as the mountains and as pure as light. From its kernel, lofty ethical principles derive. Has there ever been a priest in any church who has given to his congregation a more noble and more Christian rule than the motto of this year's convention: "Always be faithful, truthful, pure and kind!" This is the reason why his followers call him 'Master', not 'Mr. Dunov'. The Master, with a capital 'M', the one and only in the world. One need not be a follower to realize that Dunov has already become a historical figure and has gained a rank of invulnerability. He cannot be harmed by anyone. No persecution will turn him aside. Even death cannot put an end to his mission. If he died a violent death, that would only foster the movement. The Bulgarian Mr. Peter Dunov is neither 'Peter' nor 'Mister' anymore. He is Dunov, and it is now up to history to criticise or glorify him. He is bound to get much of both. His great deed, the historic brotherhood he founded and gave life to, will make Bulgaria known all over the world. This is the result of all truth in life. The White Brotherhood is a bird hatched from Christian dogmata who, with its freed strong wings, will precipitate Bulgaria's arrival in the Kingdom of God on earth. They accuse Dunov of saying he was a reincarnation of Christ. I never heard him say that, nor did I find it in his writings. If I believed in reincarnation, however, I would have thought that he was the reincarnation of the Priest Bogomil whose life and teaching awakened and regenerated the Western world. By calling the White Brotherhood "new Bogomils", their enemies inadvertently predict their great and salutary historical mission. For the old Bogomils, being enlighteners before the Renaissance and reformers before the arrival of the Reformation, gave the world the most important impetus to culture and growth.

You priests, although he may not be following you, do not stand in his way. To those among you who are straight of heart, he may give powerful help in regenerating and improving life. To those who are evil and ignorant, he is doubtlessly a nuisance. But you are only wasting your efforts in vain. You cannot harm him. Therefore, I say with the words of the One with Whose name we all like to adorn ourselves: "Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Stoyan Vatralski

from Who and What Are the White Brotherhood (the Dunovists)

Plovdiv, Troud, 1926.

Master-73.jpg