The Reception Room

The Reception Room

The small cabin where Peter Dunov had lived before the hall's construction was transformed into a reception room. From 1927, he lived in a small room over the hall, the small external staircase to which was between the entrances to the hall and the reception room. The room was referred to as 'the upstairs room', a reminiscence of the summer house in Tarnovo. It was furnished with a bed, a cupboard, a table, a desk, and a small book-case. That was Peter Dunov's abode. Strikingly modest and ascetic. He never complained of that. He was always happy with the little he had. Over the 'upstarts room' was a small sunny veranda where he would spend hours when the weather was good. In his lectures, he spoke extensively of the beneficial effect of sunlight. The veranda was a place where he was always alone. The Izgrev centre was becoming more and more lively and colourful. A small glade was the centre of its life, and whoever came from the town, went there first. Many of the visitors were curious; they went there to see what the White Brotherhood was like. Others were ill and in need of consolation. People of all ranks, trades, age, and religion went to Peter Dunov to ask for advice or simply to talk with him. He met them in the reception room. Above the entrance, they saw an emblem: an anchor with the words "Truth is the Head of Your Word" inscribed in a circle. The emblem was made by Bertoli after the Master's instruction. That was the formula that Dunov placed between himself and his visitors. They went to him in search of the Truth, and if they understood the truth, their visit had not been in vain. Mrs. Dora Meteva, the wife of one of the richest men in Sofia, used to drive around in a large Buick. Once a child threw himself suddenly in front of the car, turning a deft somersault on the hood. This was a trick the child often played on rich ladies, demanding money afterwards. He was not hurt but Mrs. Meteva suffered a bad shock and could not restore her peace of mind. A friend sent her to Izgrev to see the Master. She was very surprised when, just as she had got there, the Master met her with the words: "You did not kill him, did you?" His kind eyes dispelled her fear and anxiety. She could never explain how he had guessed the purpose of her visit. The great in service to the small: this is what happened in the Master's reception room. Sometimes he told his disciples about his visitors. "A man comes to me and asks: 'How can I become a disciple, how can I learn the secrets of nature, how can my eyes open?' I look at him and say: 'It's too early for you. You need more time, come later!' If I tell him to give away all his money, he will answer; T need to think about it'. I can see he is not ready, so I save time and tell him; 'This is not the right thing for you.'" "Once a gentleman came to ask me if I was an honest person. I told him: 'My friend, tell me, are you honest? You must be a saint to ask about my sins, but you are full of faults. A sinner putting a sinner to the test!' They have no reason to test us. We belong to eternal life. Our purpose on earth is eternal life, we have come here to find conditions in which we may study Love and Wisdom. This is our purpose." "Another gentleman came to see me and discuss some important issues. I told him I was busy, asked him to put off the conversation. I can't come again, just five minutes, he begged. I agreed to receive him for a few minutes. He came into my room and talked for three hours without stopping. He kept talking, and I listened. When he was done and rose to go I offered him to come along for a walk. That day I passed an examination in patience!" "This has happened more than once. Someone comes and starts telling me the story of his illness. Ten minutes pass, a quarter of an hour passes, an hour passes and he keeps talking about his illness. I give him advice and he leaves. Another one comes and starts giving me his story. I have to spend another hour listening to him. Then a third one comes, and a fourth one... Do I have to tell them: 'Don't speak now?' Thus, I have tested my endurance." Dunov was also visited by ambitious persons who expect him to appease their selfishness. He had the patience for them, too. "A year ago a sister came, she said the spirits were speaking to her. She was writing poetry. She told me she wanted my opinion'. While she was reading I realized anyone could write such poems but she thought they had been inspired by some magnificent spirit! Great Masters speak to their disciples only when the disciples are ready to understand their teaching." Still other visitors were sent there by the authorities and were convinced their mission would not be exposed. Dunov, however, reacted sharply: "It is shameful to lie. They look me in the eye and lie to me, and say disgusting things. I have never heard such despicable lies. A would-be politician came here, a learned man, to test me. I told him: There, mister, tell us the truth openly, there's no point to testing me. Talking of testing, I know about your past and I know what you are after, and I know who sent you, and I know what they think. I want the truth said openly. If you think there's anything wrong about me, if you believe that what I have got in my room is too much for me, you can have half of it. Indeed, you can have all of it. We must speak the truth, don't you understand that?"

This was why the anchor emblem was over the entrance of the reception hall. One had to pay a high price to be received by Peter Dunov: the Truth!

Master-77.jpg

The emblem of the Brotherhood