El Shadai

Every Thursday, the Master took his disciples to the Vitosha Mountain. They would leave Izgrev at 2 a.m. in order to meet the sunrise above Simeonovo. There were no buses and they would walk all the way in the silence of the night, each absorbed in thought. The Master would lead the group, surrounded by a few disciples. The others would follow them. Sometimes they would take a short break. They would exchange quietly a few words, wait for the rest of the group and continue on their way. At dawn, the Master would stop and the disciples would surround him. They would watch the sun rise and then walk further up into the mountain.

There was a wide clearing near Prisoite where they would set up their camp. The Master named it El Shadai, meaning "a place where the soul is nurtured by the Mother Nature". A fire would be made and a communal meal would be eaten. The Master often gave talks at El Shadai, shorter or longer, depending on the conditions and the state of the group. The disciples' interest was very important to what he was planning to say. "Ask, and it shall be given you": this was the rule he applied. It was at El Shadai that the disciples first heard "I am a stranger in this world..." - the Master's most insightful song. It was created apparently spontaneously. On the 16th of June 1941, a disciple addressed Dunov: "Master, tell us something you have never told us before." The Master was silent for a second and then sang softly: "I am a stranger in this world. I know no one beside Thee. Thou, my Lord, and my God has created all things for me. I offer my gratitude unto Thee. Upon Thee, Lord, have I placed my confidence. May my prayer rise to Thee." Such a deeply felt confession could only be made high in the mountains, in a high and clean place.

Master-98.jpg